White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Okay let's back this up a step...

You are walking down the street. You are holding a baseball. You decide to fire it at a wall. You accidentally hit some guy standing beside the wall. He walks a few steps toward you. Now you look him straight in the eyes and say, "WHAT?!?!?"

What do you think happens next?

Who do you think gets the blame when the cops show up?

The only reason Greinke isn't in jail for assault is because it happened on a baseball field....
If I accidentally hit him with it? I like my chances. Actually had something similar happen in my life (don't wanna go through to much details). Kid dropped a book off a deck and it hit someone. Kid didn't know it did. Guy comes up yelling, kid is confused. Guy beats kid senseless.

That was five years ago. Guy is still in jail.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Yes. Science. Article in thread. Hits himself.

Like talking to a brick wall.
I don't doubt that Quentin has difficulty controlling his anger. BDS mentioned earlier that he broke his wrist smacking the barrel of a bat after fouling off a pitch. That doesn't mean, however, that he doesn't have the right to feel anger if someone has hurt or threatened him. Anger is just as legitimate an emotion as happiness or love. The problem with anger is that it's unpredictable nature often drives people take actions that they later regret, although love often has that effect, as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Okay let's back this up a step...

You are walking down the street. You are holding a baseball. You decide to fire it at a wall. You accidentally hit some guy standing beside the wall. He walks a few steps toward you. Now you look him straight in the eyes and say, "WHAT?!?!?"

What do you think happens next?

Who do you think gets the blame when the cops show up?

The only reason Greinke isn't in jail for assault is because it happened on a baseball field....
Quote:
I couldn't have said it better...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't doubt that Quentin has difficulty controlling his anger. BDS mentioned earlier that he broke his wrist smacking the barrel of a bat after fouling off a pitch. That doesn't mean, however, that he doesn't have the right to feel anger if someone has hurt or threatened him. Anger is just as legitimate an emotion as happiness or love. The problem with anger is that it's unpredictable nature often drives people take actions that they later regret, although love often has that effect, as well.
I think it's significantly more likely he was angry already and going to the plate waiting to lean into a close pitch to do this.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
If I accidentally hit him with it? I like my chances. Actually had something similar happen in my life (don't wanna go through to much details). Kid dropped a book off a deck and it hit someone. Kid didn't know it did. Guy comes up yelling, kid is confused. Guy beats kid senseless.

Apples to oranges. Greinke clearly knew that he'd hit Quentin with the pitch. The boy in your story was completely unaware of what he'd done, probably because he didn't see where the book landed.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Apples to oranges. Greinke clearly knew that he'd hit Quentin with the pitch. The boy in your story was completely unaware of what he'd done, probably because he didn't see where the book landed.
Um...I doubt that with every fiber of my being. Oh...AND THERE'S AN ARTICLE IN THIS THREAD ON THE PITCH LOCATION NOT BEING ONE THAT HITS PEOPLE.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think it's significantly more likely he was angry already and going to the plate waiting to lean into a close pitch to do this.
I think that's a stretch (at best), and you're going to have a hard time proving it. What would he have been angry about before the at-bat?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think that's a stretch (at best), and you're going to have a hard time proving it. What would he have been angry about before the at-bat?
Being hit by him previously. Actually spoke out publicly about it.

Which is funny. Because the guy's been hit by pretty much every pitcher on the planet.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

And what's the difference there?

The kid was confused and didn't trash talk the guy.

See this is why arguing with you is impossible you keep making points that sound like they have something to do with the discussion but actually don't. You completely gloss over Greinke's trash talk after the HBP. You ignore it like it just doesn't matter, but it actually DOES MATTER...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
A lot of guys do that. A lot of guys walk off their steam by doing exactly what Quentin did. Maybe it crossed his mind to charge but he didn't until Zach challenged him to.

That timeline is NOT disputable.

In case you don't know it, I'm hard of hearing. I read lips really well. Greinke clearly said "WHAT?!?!?!" before Quentin charged.

He trolled, but he wasn't behind the safety of his computer screen when he did it. This is why cops tell people not to scream at people on the roadways because the other guy might be packing heat.

Does anyone doubt Quentin was irritated? Does anyone say he doesn't have a valid personal reason for feeling that way? I mean he did just get smacked with a 80+MPH baseball (I'm being generous). Then the guy who smacked him started talking trash.

Then the trash talking guy who smacked him got his ass handed to him.

**** happens when you talk trash to people you just caused pain to and sometimes you get your ass kicked when it happens. It's just that simple. This is life.
First off, every replay that I have seen is from the centerfield camera so I do not know how you or anyone else can read Greinke's lips from that angle. In the videos that I have seen, Quentin gets hit at about 18 seconds. At 19 seconds Quentin takes two steps towards Greinke, at 20 seconds Greinke sees Quentin walking towards him and takes a step towards Quentin. He does appear to say something and lifts his head slightly but based on the movement of his shoulders it does not appear to me at least that he shouts anything. At 21 seconds Quentin puts his head down and starts running towards the mound. I think Quentin was going to go out there anyways and if Greinke said "What" it appears to me that based on his body language that it was more along the lines of "What? Do you think I was trying to hit you on a 3-2 pitch?" I don't think that Greinke was trying to troll Quentin, I think Quentin over reacted as he tends to do. And if he thought the Dodgers were trying to hit him last night, wait until he faces them again.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
And what's the difference there?

The kid was confused and didn't trash talk the guy.

See this is why arguing with you is impossible you keep making points that sound like they have something to do with the discussion but actually don't. You completely gloss over Greinke's trash talk after the HBP. You ignore it like it just doesn't matter, but it actually DOES MATTER...
What trash talk?

Greinke: I didn't say anything
Quentin: I didn't hear what he said

What trash talk? Even if he did trash talk (and saying What? is more like, why are you walking at me with a bat than anything), trash talk is irrelevant because 1.) Quentin didn't care what he said, obviously and 2.) no amount of trash talk is a legitimate reason for assaulting someone. People go to jail for that.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Um...I doubt that with every fiber of my being. Oh...AND THERE'S AN ARTICLE IN THIS THREAD ON THE PITCH LOCATION NOT BEING ONE THAT HITS PEOPLE.
Calm down. I have seen the article you're talking about. I recognize that Quentin's chances of being hit were small, and that the chances of the average Major League player being hit at that location were even smaller.

TCQ was hit by the pitch because he was crowding the plate, but, as Quentin himself said, he was more upset about what Greinke said to him after he was hit. I'm still skeptical about that, as Quentin also acknowledges that he wasn't sure what Greinke said, and as I've also mentioned, I'll even accept that Quentin wanted to fight as soon as he was hit. I don't, however, think he went to the plate with the intention of letting himself get hit so that he'd have an excuse to pummel Greinke. I'm sorry. That's just too big of a stretch, as all of the stars would have to align, and the universe is not so poorly designed.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
No and now you are misrepresenting what the article said.

I'll skip the whole part about where the pitch actually was (outside their area of "scientific comparison") and focus on your comment only. It does hit people. It just doesn't hit them on average as often as it hit's TCQ. You'd have to run a sample of people who players with similar stances to TCQ to really see what it means. You'd also have to then actually talk about the region in question (1.5-2.0 feet off the zone). Finally you'd need to factor in batting mechanics. Some players step more toward the plate than others when they swing.

In comparison to every player who has ever played TCQ gets smacked by a lot of pitches that others don't. This is some kind of serious scientific analysis?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Calm down. I have seen the article you're talking about. I recognize that Quentin's chances of being hit were small, and that the chances of the average Major League player being hit at that location were even smaller.

TCQ was hit by the pitch because he was crowding the plate, but, as Quentin himself said, he was more upset about what Greinke said to him after he was hit. I'm still skeptical about that, as Quentin also acknowledges that he wasn't sure what Greinke said, and as I've also mentioned, I'll even accept that Quentin wanted to fight as soon as he was hit. I don't, however, think he went to the plate with the intention of letting himself get hit so that he'd have an excuse to pummel Greinke. I'm sorry. That's just too big of a stretch, as all of the stars would have to align, and the universe is not so poorly designed.
I think he's trying to make up a story either way.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Being hit by him previously. Actually spoke out publicly about it.

Which is funny. Because the guy's been hit by pretty much every pitcher on the planet.
I know of the history between the two of them. That doesn't explain why Quentin would chose that particular at-bat to try attacking Greinke. Why would he risk being thrown out of a one-run game that his team has a chance to win? Even a hothead like TCQ understands that his first responsibility is to win baseball games. Otherwise, he'd have gone after Greinke during his first plate appearance.