White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

What Id like to see someday is after a caged animal comes storming to mound, a pitcher turn and run for the hills.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What Id like to see someday is after a caged animal comes storming to mound, a pitcher turn and run for the hills.
Does Mike Piazza vs. Guillermo Mota ring a bell?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Here's the Grantland breakdown of the brawl.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Paul Konerko defends Quentin:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6386586.story

Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Care to explain why you feel that way? And I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I'm truly curious.
I guess because the majority of the people here are supporting Grienke and citing unwritten rules of baseball.

Admittably so, I wouldn't have charged the mound in Quentin's situation, I don't think he is a thug or someone dealing with roid rage because he charged the mound. Those opinions are a bit over the top.

Grienke throws at people a lot which I love in a pitcher. Throwing inside and throwing at players is a part of the game and many pitchers do not utilize and Grienke is at advantage doing so. With that in mind, I still have little to no problem with Quentin protecting himself. Pitchers can throw at guys all they want and the hitters can never fight back. Even as a former pitcher I have no problem with giving the hitter the benefit of the doubt. If they think their safety and/or health was purposely put in danger then they should have the right to stick up for themselves.

Plus, in baseball we would hate the other team. If one player did one thing to any of our guys at any point, the whole team would up their intensity and get their fuel from hatred. We would try to find reaons to hate them.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Konerko's oral diarrhea of seasons past seems to have returned. Wonderful! Honestly, Paul, why don't you just shut the **** up? It's too bad PHG isn't around to comment on this. He'd have a field day with it.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
WSI Personality

gotta love paulie's quote:
"How many times can you let a ball get away from somebody before you go do something? I guess that many. There it is.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

I don't love anything about what Konerko said. Why is he talking about what happened between two players who aren't on his team? I know that he was teammates with TCQ, but that doesn't entitle him to comment on something that doesn't pertain to him. After all these years, he still doesn't know when to refrain from whoring himself out to the media. And I thought prostitution was becoming a thing of the past.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

"Frank Thomas is a bad teammate."

"Juan Uribe faking out Derrick Lee was 'bush league.'"

"Royce Clayton is the best shortstop I've ever played with."

"Magglio Ordonez is the best player I've ever played with."
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
WSI High Priest

An unfortunate incident that wasn't intentional. It's too bad to see Greinke out that long because of this. Not a smart move at all for him to try to lay his left shoulder into TCQ, who's built like a brick craphouse. Carlos got too intense in this situation and could pay a hefty price for it.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't love anything about what Konerko said. Why is he talking about what happened between two players who aren't on his team? I know that he was teammates with TCQ, but that doesn't entitle him to comment on something that doesn't pertain to him. After all these years, he still doesn't know when to refrain from whoring himself out to the media. And I thought prostitution was becoming a thing of the past.
Because Konerko has been abused by pitchers and he knows it. Your comments are unwarranted. Whoring himself out to the media? Where is he making money for talking about this. He stood up for something he believed in. Quentin is getting a lot of **** that he doesn't deserve for this and Paulie, a former teammate or even friend, is sticking up for him.

You question his right to speak about an incident in his own industry and you go on to call him a whore and accuse him of prostitution. Where is your right to do that?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Konerko's oral diarrhea of seasons past seems to have returned. Wonderful! Honestly, Paul, why don't you just shut the **** up? It's too bad PHG isn't around to comment on this. He'd have a field day with it.
The man has the right to speak his mind when asked. Would you be saying this if he defended Greinke? Probably not. This is only an issue for you because you disagree with him. And considering he's spent more time with Quintin and been up close and personal with the history, I'll listen to what he has to say on the subject.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Does Mike Piazza vs. Guillermo Mota ring a bell?
Mota threw his mitt 1st then backed up If I recall. I would love to see a pitcher just turn and sprint to outfield and then do the nah nah, catch me if you can routine.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
You're crossing the line of decency here.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Because Konerko has been abused by pitchers and he knows it. Your comments are unwarranted. Whoring himself out to the media? Where is he making money for talking about this. He stood up for something he believed in. Quentin is getting a lot of **** that he doesn't deserve for this and Paulie, a former teammate or even friend, is sticking up for him.

You question his right to speak about an incident in his own industry and you go on to call him a whore and accuse him of prostitution. Where is your right to do that?
I don't have a problem with him showing support for a former teammate. What I have a problem with is Konerko providing extensive commentary about a history that is not his own, although he was present for many of the events that have been discussed in light of last night's altercation. If he had said, "I'm sorry about what happened. I've always had tremendous respect for Carlos Quentin as a baseball player and as a person, and want to voice my support for him as his friend during this difficult time," I wouldn't have had a problem with his remarks. Instead, he decided to weigh in on an issue that no longer has anything to do with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
The man has the right to speak his mind when asked. Would you be saying this if he defended Greinke? Probably not. This is only an issue for you because you disagree with him. And considering he's spent more time with Quintin and been up close and personal with the history, I'll listen to what he has to say on the subject.
As I've already stated, I don't have a problem with Konerko supporting a former teammate. I simply disagree with his offering an opinion- any opinion- about events that he was not present for. I've yet to see comments from any other Major League player about last night's incident who does not play for the Dodgers or Padres. What makes Konerko so special that he's entitled to analyze the situation when no one else has done so?

If Konerko has the right to speak his mind, I have the right to tell him to shut the **** up.