White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Good for Carlos. Generally, guys should charge the mound more. And throw some punches when they get out there instead of all the pathetic wrestling and pushing and shoving they usually do. The threat of a beating is a far bigger deterrent than a suspension with the money these guys make. At least we'd then know who's really ready to stand firm behind the "unwritten rules".

And, yes, I'm aware that maybe in this instance Greinke wasn't throwing at him. If that's the case, given the history between those two he may have considered being a little conciliatory and letting CQ know it was unintentional. At some point enough is enough...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
I agree that something was probably said and that we won't find out what it was. Greinke is indeed a bit of a punk and isn't going to say anything that might chill the Righteous Outrage on his behalf and the sportsblabbers dumping on TCQ as a thug. If Greinke had rotated and lowered his shoulder a bit less maybe he sustains no bone break, and the conversation is different. Not that I'm blaming him for not knowing how to set up for a take down, but you can't judge what happened solely by the severity of the injury.
Yes and no. Obviously, the perception of this incident would almost certainly be different had Greinke not injured his clavicle, but that doesn't excuse Quentin's poor judgement in this matter. If Quentin walks to first base (as he should have), there is no altercation and no subsequent Greinke injury. There's also no follow-up incident between Kemp and Quentin that required police intervention to diffuse. Quentin's behavior set the stage for everything that followed his decision to charge the mound, including what happened to Greinke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee
And speaking of how baseball is played, Greinke will have plenty of time to ponder that every now and then it does get a bit physical, that some risks maybe should be thought about. A person with anxiety issues can have bad aspects to their personality just as a person with anger issues can have good ones. I've never liked Greinke and Carlos remains something of a mystery to me. But there's blame to go around here.
I'd be careful making these types of statements. Are you implying that Greinke's anxiety played a role in his handling of this situation? Are you suggesting that Greinke's (alleged) throwing at Quentin was triggered by a behavioral problem? That's a slippery slope. It's also difficult to prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
I don't think Grinke threw at TCQ on purpose, but once he hit him, TCQ stared him down and Grinke obviously told him something along the lines of shut up and go to first base. Add that in with the past history between these two and that's it.
Is there a camera angle that shows Greinke's face? I'd be interested in trying to determine what was said (if anything) to set Quentin off.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post

I'd be careful making these types of statements. Are you implying that Greinke's anxiety played a role in his handling of this situation? Are you suggesting that Greinke's (alleged) throwing at Quentin was triggered by a behavioral problem?
Certainly not; the opposite, in fact. I'm saying that quite apart from having these sorts of problems -- in commenting about which I am always careful, thanks -- Greinke can be a punk. I agree that he was going to get charged someday.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Prelate

After this, is anyone else starting to wonder if Carlos has been on steroids? I don't have any proof, but with all of the outbursts he has, one has to wonder if there's something behind it, especially when you consider his normally calm, quiet demeanor.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Good for Carlos. Generally, guys should charge the mound more. And throw some punches when they get out there instead of all the pathetic wrestling and pushing and shoving they usually do. The threat of a beating is a far bigger deterrent than a suspension with the money these guys make. At least we'd then know who's really ready to stand firm behind the "unwritten rules".

And, yes, I'm aware that maybe in this instance Greinke wasn't throwing at him. If that's the case, given the history between those two he may have considered being a little conciliatory and letting CQ know it was unintentional. At some point enough is enough...
I agree with this 100%. I'm not happy that Greinke got hurt, but TCQ didn't come flying into him with his cleats up or swinging for his head.

Sometimes it is up to the players to police the game.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
After this, is anyone else starting to wonder if Carlos has been on steroids? I don't have any proof, but with all of the outbursts he has, one has to wonder if there's something behind it, especially when you consider his normally calm, quiet demeanor.
When would he have gone on them? He was a highly-rated prospect before his injury-prone early years in the Dbacks organization.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
The dude's been hit almost 100 times in his career and this is the first time he's charged the mound. Not how I would expect a 'roid freak to react the first 99 times. To paraphrase KW, TCQ's got a football mentality that he hasn't quite been able to shake.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
The dude's been hit almost 100 times in his career and this is the first time he's charged the mound. Not how I would expect a 'roid freak to react the first 99 times. To paraphrase KW, TCQ's got a football mentality that he hasn't quite been able to shake.
He's also broken his wrist after hitting his bat because he fouled a pitch off.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
You guys are being a little rough on CQ. Grienke is a punk and has been asking for it for years. Grienke can throw up and in to Carlos as much as he wants and Carlos is basically defenseless. I am glad Carlos stood up for himself.
Throwing up and in is not against the rules. Purposely hitting someone in the head would be. Hard to prove that, but suspensions exist for perception.

What Carlos did was break the rules without a doubt. And I don't care if Greinke called his mother a name, Carlos is 100% the instigator. The pitch was mid level and rode in just enough for someone WANTING to be hit to get hit. After that he walked DIRECTLY TOWARD GREINKE. Of course Greinke is going to say something. If I giant guy was walking at me with a bat, I'd say something too. But charging with the purpose of harming another is inexcusable. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think players that do that should play baseball. I'd suspend him for the year, and have them reapply next season after anger management. Bet the brawls would stop real quick after that. Or at least charging the mound would damn sure mean the guy was really after you. Without real penalties, situations like this where a guy simply doesn't like another guy is going to lead to serious injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post

This is pretty damn classless.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Certainly not; the opposite, in fact. I'm saying that quite apart from having these sorts of problems -- in commenting about which I am always careful, thanks -- Greinke can be a punk. I agree that he was going to get charged someday.
I understand, and thank you for clarifying. My post wasn't meant to accuse you so much as it was intended to facilitate a better understanding of your comments. Thanks again.

As to your comments above, it would be interesting to learn about how Greinke is perceived throughout Major League Baseball. Quentin seems to have had problems with him, and many on this board have taken issue with his behavior in the past, but what do other players, coaches, and team officials think of him?

The article I cited earlier mentions that several Padres players apologized to the Dodgers for what happened. Did that happen because they felt badly about Greinke's injury, or do some of them believe that TCQ was out of line for charging the mound in the first place? Obviously, none of us knows the answer to these questions. If, as you suggest, people believe that Greinke's style was going to land him in trouble, the former would seem more likely than the latter, as I can't imagine Quentin's teammates would have a problem with him taking action in response to something that some of them could relate to.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI Regular

He did a lot of bat hitting up to the point he broke his wrist. It was a gesture he used to express frustration. But he caught it wrong that one time. Playing with fire and it caught up with him.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
He's actually been hit 116 times now, which ranks 7th among active players. The guys ahead of him are players like Jason Giambi and Derek Jeter, guys who literally have thousands of more plate appearances than he. Quentin's been hit basically once every 25 times he steps to the plate. Guy just hangs over the plate and doesn't back down.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
He did a lot of bat hitting up to the point he broke his wrist. It was a gesture he used to express frustration. But he caught it wrong that one time. Playing with fire and it caught up with him.
I think BDS is wondering if there is an underlying reason for his behavior beyond having a bad temper, as these displays of anger are hard to understand.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

RKM, no problem. As for your question, I don't know. But getting charged someday (which someone might assume is going to happen) is not the same as getting your damn clavicle broken. Lots of players might sympathize with that unusually ****ty outcome.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Of course Phil Rogers has to remind us how he played for the Sox today