White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

I loved him when he was here, but I've always said there was something off with him. If he ever put that anger on his hitting he could be one of the best players in the league. Should have won MVP in '08.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
It's a shame for Grienke, but that's the risk you take when you're known to throw at heads as much as he does. Can't say this was too surprising to hear about
Ball was no where near his head, and probably hits very few major league hitters that don't want the free base.

Quentin gets hit more than anyone else in the game.

I'm really not seeing anything that doesn't make this look like Quentin is 100% a thug.

Just a thought, and I know this happened during a baseball game, but is there a chance assault charges could be brought up? If this wasn't a broadcast baseball game, Greinke would have a pretty darn good case to bring up some serious charges.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Just a thought, and I know this happened during a baseball game, but is there a chance assault charges could be brought up? If this wasn't a broadcast baseball game, Greinke would have a pretty darn good case to bring up some serious charges.
An interesting question, though one wonders if prosecutors would also pursue charges against Matt Kemp for repeatedly trying to instigate further violence. TCQ is an ass, and he was absolutely in the wrong by attacking Greinke, but Kemp was out of control, as evidenced by his post-game confrontation with TCQ between the clubhouses.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quentin is a complete idiot.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Kotsay walked TCQ back to the dugout too.

There's a name I didn't want to think about anytime soon....DH extraordinaire.

It's a shame that Greinke was injured but I don't think there is anything wrong with TCQ charging if he felt like he was hit on purpose. If he's already been plunked 3 times by Greinke and one buzzed by his head...well, obviously he thought enough was enough.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post

It's a shame that Greinke was injured but I don't think there is anything wrong with TCQ charging if he felt like he was hit on purpose. If he's already been plunked 3 times by Greinke and one buzzed by his head...well, obviously he thought enough was enough.
Dude's been hit more than a 100 times in his short career. There's lots of guys that hit him a few times, and it's not like it was at his head. Charging the mound is really never okay (which is why it's against the rules), but it's certainly not warranted here.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

But the pitch wasn't anywhere near his head. As Don Mattingly pointed out, one has to understand the game situation. The Dodgers were ahead 2-1, and Quentin was facing a full count. Why would Greinke intentionally put the tying run on base by plunking him? Quentin is an idiot, and he deserves whatever suspension is handed down.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
An interesting question, though one wonders if prosecutors would also pursue charges against Matt Kemp for repeatedly trying to instigate further violence. TCQ is an ass, and he was absolutely in the wrong by attacking Greinke, but Kemp was out of control, as evidenced by his post-game confrontation with TCQ between the clubhouses.
I was under the impression Kemp was upset that Padres players were making fun of Greinke for complaining about being hurt. In the moment, that's also instigation.

After the game...most certainly.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
But the pitch wasn't anywhere near his head. As Don Mattingly pointed out, one has to understand the game situation. The Dodgers were ahead 2-1, and Quentin was facing a full count. Why would Greinke intentionally put the tying run on base by plunking him? Quentin is an idiot, and he deserves whatever suspension is handed down.
Should have clarified...Greinke buzzed one by his head in 09 in addition to hitting him a few times.

I'm just saying in all the times TCQ was hit here (which was A LOT) he never reacted like he was upset at the pitcher because he knew he was just as much to blame for getting hit. So obviously he felt differently about this incident or this pitcher.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Should have clarified...Greinke buzzed one by his head in 09 in addition to hitting him a few times.

I'm just saying in all the times TCQ was hit here (which was A LOT) he never reacted like he was upset at the pitcher because he knew he was just as much to blame for getting hit. So obviously he felt differently about this incident or this pitcher.
Did you happen to read Quentin's post-game comments? He said that he wasn't upset about being hit, but rather, what Greinke said to him after he was hit. Here's the catch, however: Quentin later admitted that he didn't know what Greinke said to him, but he continued to cite this as the reason for his charging the mound. Carlos was obviously looking for an excuse to fight Greinke. It's possible that their history factored into his thought process (I'm using that term loosely), but I find it hard to believe that he would risk suspension by charging the mound over something he wasn't sure Greinke said. His story doesn't add up at all, and only further damages his credibility.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:

That's mostly irrelevant to this situation, in which both the game situation and the location of pitch made it obvious the TCQ was waiting for any perceived opportunity to injury Greinke.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Greinke is a weirdo
Because he has a legit anxiety disorder or for some other reason?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Carlos was wrong to charge the mound but why would Greinke say something to Carlos after hitting him with a pitch?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
Carlos was wrong to charge the mound but why would Greinke say something to Carlos after hitting him with a pitch?
Without knowing what he said, it's hard to answer why. In any event, what does it matter, as Quentin himself didn't know what Greinke said?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
Carlos was walking at him already. Kinda hard not to say something.