White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Soxman219 Soxman219 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Munster, Indiana
Posts: 3,150
Default

I loved him when he was here, but I've always said there was something off with him. If he ever put that anger on his hitting he could be one of the best players in the league. Should have won MVP in '08.
__________________
Setbacks are setups for comebacks
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
It's a shame for Grienke, but that's the risk you take when you're known to throw at heads as much as he does. Can't say this was too surprising to hear about
Ball was no where near his head, and probably hits very few major league hitters that don't want the free base.

Quentin gets hit more than anyone else in the game.

I'm really not seeing anything that doesn't make this look like Quentin is 100% a thug.

Just a thought, and I know this happened during a baseball game, but is there a chance assault charges could be brought up? If this wasn't a broadcast baseball game, Greinke would have a pretty darn good case to bring up some serious charges.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Just a thought, and I know this happened during a baseball game, but is there a chance assault charges could be brought up? If this wasn't a broadcast baseball game, Greinke would have a pretty darn good case to bring up some serious charges.
An interesting question, though one wonders if prosecutors would also pursue charges against Matt Kemp for repeatedly trying to instigate further violence. TCQ is an ass, and he was absolutely in the wrong by attacking Greinke, but Kemp was out of control, as evidenced by his post-game confrontation with TCQ between the clubhouses.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,429
Default

Quentin is a complete idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Kotsay walked TCQ back to the dugout too.

There's a name I didn't want to think about anytime soon....DH extraordinaire.

It's a shame that Greinke was injured but I don't think there is anything wrong with TCQ charging if he felt like he was hit on purpose. If he's already been plunked 3 times by Greinke and one buzzed by his head...well, obviously he thought enough was enough.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
There's a name I didn't want to think about anytime soon....DH extraordinaire.

It's a shame that Greinke was injured but I don't think there is anything wrong with TCQ charging if he felt like he was hit on purpose. If he's already been plunked 3 times by Greinke and one buzzed by his head...well, obviously he thought enough was enough.
Dude's been hit more than a 100 times in his short career. There's lots of guys that hit him a few times, and it's not like it was at his head. Charging the mound is really never okay (which is why it's against the rules), but it's certainly not warranted here.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
There's a name I didn't want to think about anytime soon....DH extraordinaire.

It's a shame that Greinke was injured but I don't think there is anything wrong with TCQ charging if he felt like he was hit on purpose. If he's already been plunked 3 times by Greinke and one buzzed by his head...well, obviously he thought enough was enough.
But the pitch wasn't anywhere near his head. As Don Mattingly pointed out, one has to understand the game situation. The Dodgers were ahead 2-1, and Quentin was facing a full count. Why would Greinke intentionally put the tying run on base by plunking him? Quentin is an idiot, and he deserves whatever suspension is handed down.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
An interesting question, though one wonders if prosecutors would also pursue charges against Matt Kemp for repeatedly trying to instigate further violence. TCQ is an ass, and he was absolutely in the wrong by attacking Greinke, but Kemp was out of control, as evidenced by his post-game confrontation with TCQ between the clubhouses.
I was under the impression Kemp was upset that Padres players were making fun of Greinke for complaining about being hurt. In the moment, that's also instigation.

After the game...most certainly.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
But the pitch wasn't anywhere near his head. As Don Mattingly pointed out, one has to understand the game situation. The Dodgers were ahead 2-1, and Quentin was facing a full count. Why would Greinke intentionally put the tying run on base by plunking him? Quentin is an idiot, and he deserves whatever suspension is handed down.
Should have clarified...Greinke buzzed one by his head in 09 in addition to hitting him a few times.

I'm just saying in all the times TCQ was hit here (which was A LOT) he never reacted like he was upset at the pitcher because he knew he was just as much to blame for getting hit. So obviously he felt differently about this incident or this pitcher.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Should have clarified...Greinke buzzed one by his head in 09 in addition to hitting him a few times.

I'm just saying in all the times TCQ was hit here (which was A LOT) he never reacted like he was upset at the pitcher because he knew he was just as much to blame for getting hit. So obviously he felt differently about this incident or this pitcher.
Did you happen to read Quentin's post-game comments? He said that he wasn't upset about being hit, but rather, what Greinke said to him after he was hit. Here's the catch, however: Quentin later admitted that he didn't know what Greinke said to him, but he continued to cite this as the reason for his charging the mound. Carlos was obviously looking for an excuse to fight Greinke. It's possible that their history factored into his thought process (I'm using that term loosely), but I find it hard to believe that he would risk suspension by charging the mound over something he wasn't sure Greinke said. His story doesn't add up at all, and only further damages his credibility.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Should have clarified...Greinke buzzed one by his head in 09 in addition to hitting him a few times.

I'm just saying in all the times TCQ was hit here (which was A LOT) he never reacted like he was upset at the pitcher because he knew he was just as much to blame for getting hit. So obviously he felt differently about this incident or this pitcher.
That's mostly irrelevant to this situation, in which both the game situation and the location of pitch made it obvious the TCQ was waiting for any perceived opportunity to injury Greinke.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Greinke is a weirdo
Because he has a legit anxiety disorder or for some other reason?
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 AM
GlassSox's Avatar
GlassSox GlassSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lincoln Park
Posts: 2,475
Default

Carlos was wrong to charge the mound but why would Greinke say something to Carlos after hitting him with a pitch?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
Carlos was wrong to charge the mound but why would Greinke say something to Carlos after hitting him with a pitch?
Without knowing what he said, it's hard to answer why. In any event, what does it matter, as Quentin himself didn't know what Greinke said?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
Carlos was wrong to charge the mound but why would Greinke say something to Carlos after hitting him with a pitch?
Carlos was walking at him already. Kinda hard not to say something.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.