White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Few will ever give you this credit, but you are dead on, munch. This is *exactly* what this franchise is doing.
Thanks. My emails to the team the last few years have included this, plus a few other reasons (mostly mlb financial support of bills like PIPA and SOPA, which among other things would essentially give them the right to shut down sites like WSI) as my reasons for not financially contributing to the team anymore. One person isn't going to change it though.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
In many ways, I feel bad for Brooks Boyer. He can adjust prices (a big win for die hards) and he can tinker with marketability ideas, but at the end of the day, we are 10 games into the season, and its hard to be excited about anything we have seen. I am not saying the season is a lost cause, I am saying they are not going to draw unless they (a) get more known, better, SUPERSTAR level players or (b) Decide they want to win 95 games a year.

They won a world series without a superstar player.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Thanks. My emails to the team the last few years have included this, plus a few other reasons (mostly mlb financial support of bills like PIPA and SOPA, which among other things would essentially give them the right to shut down sites like WSI) as my reasons for not financially contributing to the team anymore. One person isn't going to change it though.
Please refrain from dragging politics in here.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
I'd argue Konerko was in his prime and very much among the best in the game. He just isn't a superstar anymore.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That was the or...and getting close to 10 years ago
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Indeed, and they have won a single playoff game since that year. It is clearly an outlier. The franchise never really gained momentum on the field after that season. It's sad. Now they lie in the middle, lacking any personality or direction.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 AM
WSI Regular

People have pointed out that JR seems to enjoy the "safety" of having his team earn $20-30M of net profit each year. Why risk adding a ton of payroll or investing in a massive expansion of your minor leagues/scouting/international player development when it could implode and hurt your bottom line?
It's easy for JR to set aside his "fan emotions" as owner of the White Sox. The Sox are not his first true baseball love...the Brooklyn Dodgers were. Sure, he wants the Sox to win and be successful, but he won't stretch himself financially to get them to the promised land. To compare, Mike Illich was born and raised in Detroit and has been a lifelong Tigers fan. His love for his boyhood team (and his deep pockets) have caused him to make "irrational" spending decisions by paying huge salaries to the game's top stars (Cabrera, Verlander, Fielder, etc).
Put yourself in JR's shoes: What if you were a super-successful businessman who acquired a baseball team that you had very little emotional connection to (like the Rockies for example). Would you dip into your personal wealth just to make the Rockies great? No, you'd focus on turning a profit year in, year out, and your emotions as a sports fan certainly wouldn't interfere with your business decisions for the team.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
And your point is...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxThunder View Post
What if you were a super-successful businessman who acquired a baseball team that you had very little emotional connection to (like the Rockies for example). Would you dip into your personal wealth just to make the Rockies great? No, you'd focus on turning a profit year in, year out, and your emotions as a sports fan certainly wouldn't interfere with your business decisions for the team.
Baseball is a business for everyone involved except the fans. Owners became owners because they became millionaires based on business decisions, not on fandom or loyalty to laundry.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 AM
WSI Guru

Very true Amsteel.

Lip
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

The White Sox organization is hesitant to use the term "rebuild" because the after-shock of the White Flag Trade still remains after all these years. Otherwise I don't know if there is a philisophical dilemma within the organization. If money is being made, what dilemma can there be?

I do think the team realizes it can't go through what it did in the late '90's. They can't have interest that low and expect to survive. So the organization has to show it has some interest in winning. They realize the economy is still not good and people are not going to shell out money to see a team win 80-85 games and finish out of the playoffs - again. At least the parking cost is down.

Other than that, I obviously don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I still don't think this ownership understands fans and, by this time, I don't think they care to. But they may have what they think is a solid long-range plan, and they may feel it is working. It just doesn't appear to be working now. Before we know it, it will be 10 years since the World Series. And that will pose a problem for the team, one much more real that philosohical in nature.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And your point is...
The point it that it is not a model for continued success.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
The White Sox organization is hesitant to use the term "rebuild" because the after-shock of the White Flag Trade still remains after all these years.
Which might keep 100 diehards away from the game. Attraction of the casual fan is the huge problem of this franchise. The rest of us aren't going anywhere.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
The White Sox organization is hesitant to use the term "rebuild" because the after-shock of the White Flag Trade still remains after all these years. Otherwise I don't know if there is a philisophical dilemma within the organization. If money is being made, what dilemma can there be?

I do think the team realizes it can't go through what it did in the late '90's. They can't have interest that low and expect to survive. So the organization has to show it has some interest in winning. They realize the economy is still not good and people are not going to shell out money to see a team win 80-85 games and finish out of the playoffs - again. At least the parking cost is down.

Other than that, I obviously don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I still don't think this ownership understands fans and, by this time, I don't think they care to. But they may have what they think is a solid long-range plan, and they may feel it is working. It just doesn't appear to be working now. Before we know it, it will be 10 years since the World Series. And that will pose a problem for the team, one much more real that philosohical in nature.
I don't know how anyone could understand the fans. You want green seats, bingo, green seats. You want a contender, bingo, won a WS, last year they were in first place, no one came. You want cheaper tickets and parking, bingo, cheaper tickets and parking, yet Sox fans will always move the goalposts. How often are teams expected to win the WS? If they win one once every 10 years, they would be one of the more awesome franchises in the league. To think they don't care to understand the fans is not paying any attention to what they have done the past 10 years or so. It's just an impossible task.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
WSI Guru

Dick:

Winning solves everything...and by winning I don't mean a Yankee-like dynasty.

I suspect most if not all Sox fans would be thrilled to do what Cleveland or Minnesota did in the division in the 90's and 00's myself.

Lip