White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
WSI Guru

Default Sox Philosophy Dilemma...

In another thread Shingo asked the question (paraphrasing) ‘what is the Sox philosophy?’

That’s a great question and one that has been discussed here at the site in the past, but with a new G.M. perhaps it’s time to revisit the point to see what everyone thinks.

Double had a post where he basically said (again paraphrasing) ‘the Sox are in a Twilight Zone where they usually get around 85 wins…good enough to tell the fans “we’re contending” but in reality not good enough to win the division (usually) or grab a wild card…’

He’s exactly right as history shows (to say nothing of history showing conclusively the Sox are usually worse in the second half of the season which doesn’t help matters…)

The question though is what do they do about it? How do they break this cycle even if they want to??

To me you can look at two approaches but with the Sox under current ownership both have serious drawbacks.

First you can say you’re “all in…” (had to use it gang…) and spend 150 million or so like the Dodgers, Angels, Rangers, Yankees, Tigers and Red Sox have done. It enables you to overcome injuries, buy yourself depth, overcome bad trades, slumps by a player and so on.

The Sox have spent in the past but always within reasonable limitations. Even when they spent 130 million on payroll, the all time high, the club had shortcomings. You have to spend the money wisely which many think the Sox haven’t even when they’ve decided to stretch things. And the fact is they either cannot or won’t (depends on who you talk to) spend that kind of cash needed to buy a club like the Tigers have on a regular basis.

The other option is to rebuild and I suspect some in the organization think “it’s time” (had to use it gang…) to try this approach.

The problem is though if the Sox were to do this and publicly announce it (or not announce it but act accordingly), I suspect the fan base that they have would be up in arms, simply not show up to support a loser (which has been the case throughout history) and U.S. Cellular Field would be a ghost town. They’d lose money even if they had a small payroll and would lose whatever relevance they have in the market. Sox fans are not Cub fans.

It’s just a bad situation isn’t it? I can’t tell you what the “right” approach is or how to solve this quandary. I wish I had the answer, believe me, I would have given it to the Sox long time ago.

Maybe part of the answer is simply that it’s time for new ownership, perhaps with different financial considerations and new people in the front office, from the G.M. to marketing and advertising to media relations, scouting and minor league development…the entire package. Fresh minds, fresh ideas. That’s about all I can come up with.

Again the Sox appear to be between a rock and a hard place and it doesn’t look like they are going to get out of it anytime soon.

Lip