White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
He said before this thread he couldn't describe the stripe, not that he didn't notice it. reading comprehension...you said something about that earlier, right?
The context of the statement was that he couldn't recognize or notice the colors of the stripes on the pants, which I find fascinating.

I guess we're not even arguiing about whether the change looks good or was necessary at this point. What the hell are we arguiing about? Oh yeah, whether Nellie could describe the Sox pants they've worn for 22 years. Perhaps he has a black and white television? Perhaps color blind?

But, for ****s and giggles, I'm putting myself out there as a casual fan of the Bears and Hawks. I watch a fraction of their games compared to the Sox. I'm thinking outloud on this...I know the Bears have three orange stripes on their sleeves, so I'd probably pick that up if they ever changed it. Do they still have the GSH initials? I probably would miss that if they were ever taken off. The Hawks...red jerseys at home....some stripes on their sleeves, white and black, but I couldn't tell you how many by memory. So, if that ever changed, I wouldn't pick up on it at all, nor would I really care at all.

All that said, I'm a casual fan of those two teams and don't have as much of an emotional connection and haven't watched as many games. But, watching 145-150 Sox games every year all of my life, yes, I'll notice things that changes on their unis and not feel like I have to apologize for it.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
If history repeats itself, the SOX will probably wear the gray road jerseys after losing last night in the black alternates.
That was true in 2005, but not so much since then. The Sox started going completely overboard with black jerseys again in 2007. When they lost in the white or gray jerseys, they would change for the next game. However, they often would wear the black jerseys after three losses in a row. They went on road trips where they didn't even bring the gray jerseys.

Sure enough, black jerseys again tonight. I guess Brooks' initiative to emphasize the road jersey he messed up and limit the wearing of the black jersey only lasted one season. I'm guessing we're in for 100+ games in black jerseys again this year.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I am really lost on this. You are honestly telling me that for 22 years the Sox have worn a pair of grey pants with a black and white stripe down the side, and you have never noticed that, recognized that and would not have been able to recollect that at all? Seriously? You attribute the term "level of detail" to something like that?
A freaking stripe down the pants? Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. I knew there was a stripe, but that's all, because I DIDN'T CARE. I find it amazing that anyone does! Again, it's a freaking stripe down the pants!

As far as the snarky comment about me having a black and white TV, it was a black and white stripe, right?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
All that said, I'm a casual fan of those two teams and don't have as much of an emotional connection and haven't watched as many games. But, watching 145-150 Sox games every year all of my life, yes, I'll notice things that changes on their unis and not feel like I have to apologize for it.
Point to one post where you've been asked to apologize for noticing subtle changes in the uniforms. You won't be able to because no one is asking you to. You on the other hand seem to be taking umbrage and have been quite rude to those of us that didn't notice it, starting with your snarky comment about Nellie's reading comprehension when there had been nothing really said in the first few posts of this thread about what change has been made. Also you seem exasperated that the uniform they have been wearing for 22 years is different because the stripe on the pants is different, and WE DIDN'T NOTICE!!! And your sly comments about being a casual fan of the other sports teams and not noticing subtle changes of those uniforms? Nice touch.

I watch as many games as you do. I watched that first game against the Nationals and I didn't notice. That doesn't make me any less a fan than you are. I don't pay that close attention to the uniforms. I just don't care. It has to be a bold change for me to notice. But hey, you win. You're a better fan than those of us that didn't notice. Congratulations.

I can't believe there are 5 pages dedicated to pants stripes. I'm out.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
A freaking stripe down the pants? Yeah, that's what I'm telling you. I knew there was a stripe, but that's all, because I DIDN'T CARE. I find it amazing that anyone does! Again, it's a freaking stripe down the pants!
And......scene.

I bet there's someone out there swearing not to watch the Sox anymore because someone took a strip off their pants. This, only seasons after removing the sock patch. The horror.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
WSI Personality

There's one thing the both the Stripe-Noticers and the Stripe-Oblivious camps have in common: Neither sees the change as actually improving the look of the uniform. Change for the sake of it, pissing off some fans and making none happier. That's the takeaway.

Score another for the Sox marketing department.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

As far as the snarky comment about me having a black and white TV, it was a black and white stripe, right?
Quote:
Point to one post where you've been asked to apologize for noticing subtle changes in the uniforms. You won't be able to because no one is asking you to. You on the other hand seem to be taking umbrage and have been quite rude to those of us that didn't notice it, starting with your snarky comment about Nellie's reading comprehension when there had been nothing really said in the first few posts of this thread about what change has been made. Also you seem exasperated that the uniform they have been wearing for 22 years is different because the stripe on the pants is different, and WE DIDN'T NOTICE!!! And your sly comments about being a casual fan of the other sports teams and not noticing subtle changes of those uniforms? Nice touch.

I watch as many games as you do. I watched that first game against the Nationals and I didn't notice. That doesn't make me any less a fan than you are. I don't pat that close attention to the uniforms. I just don't care. It has to be a bold change for me to notice. But hey, you win. You're a better fan than those of us that didn't notice. Congratulations.

I can't believe there are 5 pages dedicated to pants stripes. I'm out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
And......scene.

I bet there's someone out there swearing not to watch the Sox anymore because someone took a strip off their pants. This, only seasons after removing the sock patch. The horror.
I agree with you guys. I thought the reaction to the sock patch removal was a bit over the top a few years ago, but at least that was something people could identify. Probably not a big deal to most, but most people can recognize the sock patch. But pants stripes? Really? Is this thread a late April Fools joke and everyone is really just ranting in teal?

So a few sharp eyes out there notice a change in pants striping. So what? I would guess that 95% of Sox fans aren't going to notice the change since it's so subtle and they aren't going to care either. I guess that makes them all either morons or completely casual fans.

I challenge anyone here who really thinks this is such a big deal to go up to all your Sox fan friends and start ranting about how it's such a travesty that the Sox changed the pants stripe on their road uniforms. I'd be dying to know how many people get laughed in their face for expressing such outrage over this.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I agree with you guys. I thought the reaction to the sock patch removal was a bit over the top a few years ago, but at least that was something people could identify. Probably not a big deal to most, but most people can recognize the sock patch. But pants stripes? Really? Is this thread a late April Fools joke and everyone is really just ranting in teal?

So a few sharp eyes out there notice a change in pants striping. So what? I would guess that 95% of Sox fans aren't going to notice the change since it's so subtle and they aren't going to care either. I guess that makes them all either morons or completely casual fans.

I challenge anyone here who really thinks this is such a big deal to go up to all your Sox fan friends and start ranting about how it's such a travesty that the Sox changed the pants stripe on their road uniforms. I'd be dying to know how many people get laughed in their face for expressing such outrage over this.
I'm right there with you (on the pants thing, the Sock patch is a bigger deal). But if 95% won't notice or care, why piss off the 5% who do? What's the gain?

For me, it's not about the pant stripe: It's about the marketing department doing things just to do them, all the while washing their hands of issues that actually matter, like guest service. The stripe is just symbolic of a larger disconnect between Sox marketing and Sox fans.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I'm right there with you (on the pants thing, the Sock patch is a bigger deal). But if 95% won't notice or care, why piss off the 5% who do? What's the gain?

For me, it's not about the pant stripe: It's about the marketing department doing things just to do them, all the while washing their hands of issues that actually matter, like guest service. The stripe is just symbolic of a larger disconnect between Sox marketing and Sox fans.
Maybe they're easier to clean. I can't imagine keeping a stupid little white stripe clean for 81 games a year is all that easy to do.

But I'm sure it's just because the Sox are so inept at fan marketing.

Seriously. It's a freaking stripe.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

I really think that the road gray uniform pants will remain unchanged. I think that this small pant stripe change only applies to the pants the SOX wear with their black alternate jerseys. This way, they have 4 distinctly different uniform options. Perhaps it makes it easier on the clubhouse guys. Sort of like packing for vacation...

I guess we will find out as soon as the SOX wear the gray road jerseys for the first time.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 04-11-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Maybe they're easier to clean. I can't imagine keeping a stupid little white stripe clean for 81 games a year is all that easy to do.

But I'm sure it's just because the Sox are so inept at fan marketing.

Seriously. It's a freaking stripe.
I just don't get the whole marketing angle. I mean...how many people are buying White Sox pants?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
There's one thing the both the Stripe-Noticers and the Stripe-Oblivious camps have in common: Neither sees the change as actually improving the look of the uniform. Change for the sake of it, pissing off some fans and making none happier. That's the takeaway.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I just don't get the whole marketing angle. I mean...how many people are buying White Sox pants?
Exactly. Nobody. So what's the point?

I guess the theory of the stripe being harder to clean is plausible. If that's actually the reason, OK.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

So if you don't even notice the change, why would it piss you off?

I used to think being on a condo board of directors was the worst job in the world. You get calls almost everyday from people complaining about something. Their apartment isn't warm enough, call a board member at 3 AM. They didn't pay their bill so the electricity was cutoff. Don't call ComEd and pay your bill, call a board member they can fix it. Clog your sink in the middle of the night. Call everyone on the condo board until someone fixes it for you. On top of that, you don't get paid.

I now think Brooks Boyer, even though he gets paid, has the worst job in the world. People complain about everything. A stripe on the pants is a marketing decision? Why? To make more money? How many White Sox road pants are sold in retail outlets every year? The only guy I see walking around town in a full uniform is Ronnie Woo Woo. I watch on an HD 46 inch Samsung, and unless I really am watching carefully, the subtraction of the white stripe is really not noticeable, and really doesn't have any effect on my enjoyment of the game. If it really upsets you that the Sox changed the stripe, even though you didn't even notice, you are just being pissed off to be pissed off. If you do notice and the subtraction of a white stripe on gray pants upsets you so much, maybe you need to take a step back and realize there are way more important things in life.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Exactly. Nobody. So what's the point?
What's the point of being upset other than just another reason to throw stones at the marketing department for making a change without getting approval from Sox fans? It's a ****ing stripe! Who cares about the reasoning for doing it? It really amazes me the things Sox fans choose to bitch about or be annoyed with, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the play on the field or even merchandise for sell.

It's official...this thread has gone beyond stupid.
Closed Thread