White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Voodoo:

Bobby Bonilla? Traded for Jose DeLeon.

Lip
That's the guy. I knew I should have remembered him. He played third for a while right?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM
2013 Preseason Prediction Contest Champion

Default How can you.....

forget hustling John "Bubba" Phillips from the '59 pennant winning club? He added some spark to the team and seemed to be one of the announcing team's (Elson and Hamilton) favorites. At least that's what I remember from listening over the far reaching White Sox radio network in my early teens.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That's the guy. I knew I should have remembered him. He played third for a while right?
There's a reason he was moved to left field...
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Conversely though, didn't we flip DeLeon for One Dog?

I'd take Lance Johnson over Bobby Bonilla personally.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
WSI Personality

Default Conor Gillaspie

He rubs me as a line drive hitter without any power. He doesn't seem to have much range at third base. This seems to be his big chance to make it with the White Sox. I hope he takes advantage of it and we have a keeper at third base for years to come.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Conversely though, didn't we flip DeLeon for One Dog?
Yep

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
He rubs me as a line drive hitter without any power. He doesn't seem to have much range at third base. This seems to be his big chance to make it with the White Sox. I hope he takes advantage of it and we have a keeper at third base for years to come.
He has a nice swing and yes, he is more of a line drive hitter. However, a lot of those line drives go for HRs in our ballpark in the warmer months. I like what I've seen out of the kid so far. Our lineup could certainly use that extra left handed bat.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Voodoo:

Bobby Bonilla? Traded for Jose DeLeon.

Lip
Ah yes, Jose DeLeon. The pitcher who beat Roger Clemens twice in one week. Clemens went 24-4 that year, and won the Cy Young. I want to say the second win as a 1-0 game where the Sox scored an unearned run...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Kevin Bell anyone?????

Jim Morrison, Luis Salazar, Vance Law, Wayne Tolleson, and Eddie Williams also come to mind as former Sox 3rd basemen.

Lip
Yes, I saw/remember all these guys. I think Jim Morrison played more 2b than 3b. What a craptastic collection of talent.

I think Minnie and Al Smith also played a little 3B, but I never saw them do it.

Somewhere I have a Rich Lindberg book from 1984 called Who's on Third. It is a hoot.

Old dudes on the downside of their careers I never saw, but who played 3B for the Sox include:

Ken Boyer
George Kell
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Kevin Bell anyone?????

Jim Morrison, Luis Salazar, Vance Law, Wayne Tolleson, and Eddie Williams also come to mind as former Sox 3rd basemen.

Lip
Don't forget Kenny Williams.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Also don't forget Eddie Einhorn traded minor leaguer Doug Drabek to the Yankees for Roy Smalley Jr. to play 3B. That one didn't work out so well.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Guru

Geo:

The Sox announcers from 56-59 when Bubba was with them were Elson and Bob Wells. Milo never had the pleasure.

Carolina:

Kell suffered a back injury and wasn't the same player for his time with the Sox however he was an All Star in 1954 so he wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Lip
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Geo:

The Sox announcers from 56-59 when Bubba was with them were Elson and Bob Wells. Milo never had the pleasure.

Carolina:

Kell suffered a back injury and wasn't the same player for his time with the Sox however he was an All Star in 1954 so he wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Lip
What is it about 3rd base that creates all the back problems?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Don't forget one of Jerry's favorites Tony Graffinino and last year's saviors Kevin Youkilis, Orlando Hudson, and Brent Morel. Also we must mention fan favorites Pablo Ozuna and Omar Vizquel
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Bobby Bonilla never played third for the White Sox. He played all three outfield positions and first base as the White Sox tried to work his bat into the lineup after claiming him in the Rule 5 Draft. Pittsburgh wanted him back so badly that they offered Jose DeLeon to get him back. I can't remember if Larry Himes had replaced Ken Harrelson, by the time the trade was made, but at the time, the White Sox made it out as stealing DeLeon from the Pirates.

I had forgotten that Eddie Willaims played third for the White Sox. I remember those as Tim Hulett years at third. Kenny Willamis was the opening day third baseman in 1988, hitting a home run and a double before he was replaced at third base by Steve Lyons in a game I listened to on the radio. The previous year, I had seen Eddie Williams playing third for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, and in 1988, I initially confused Eddie and Kenny.

Neither should be confused with Walt "No-Neck" Williams, although he played an inning at third base in 1971. When Bill Melton came off the field to a standing ovation after going out to play the bottom of the ninth on the last day of the season, having homered in his last at bat to win the AL home run title, Walt Williams replaced him. But Chet Lemon played more White Sox third base than Walt Williams. Even Chris Widger played more third base for the Sox than Walt Williams.

There is a reason Rich Lindberg titled one of his books about the White Sox "Who's on Third?"