White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox always tinker with them but nothing major, not like the 60's, 70's & 80's were it was total reboot every 4 years.

But what happened to the vest, black shirt look they used in 2005? Just faded away.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carneyman14 View Post
I kind of like the black only piping to go with the black tops. But the black/white stripe needs to come back for the greys....hopefully we didn't scrap the grey tops....
All teams are required to have a home jersey and a gray(ish) road jersey, so they haven't been scrapped.

I don't know what to say. The marketing department has pretty much done everything wrong for the last 30 years. Their only successes were the uniforms and I guess the "Good guys wear black" phrase, but now they are chipping away at the uniforms. Everything else they've done has been failure, and they have been outwardly hostile to fans for much of it. I am surprised that I hadn't heard of this change beforehand.

Considering they weren't clearing out the gray jerseys, it looks like those pants will be paired with the same striped jersey, which will make them look even worse. Brooks has taken his rightful place besides Rob Gallas. The diamond sock patch two years ago and now this. If Brooks sticks around another five years, I'm pretty sure we'll get some garish "focus group approved" uniforms that will look embarassingly dated three months after they debut. But hey, as long as they give us Mullet Night, am I right?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
But what happened to the vest, black shirt look they used in 2005? Just faded away.
The Sox canned those after 2005, and I consider it addition by subtraction. I don't miss them a bit, never a fan of the vest look.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
The Sox canned those after 2005, and I consider it addition by subtraction. I don't miss them a bit, never a fan of the vest look.
No, they wore them through 2007.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
For a couple of years there, half of MLB had vests. Remember those days?

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
That was my favorite Sox jersey ever.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
No, they wore them through 2007.
They kept them that long? I must be projecting in my thinking.

When they lost Game 1 of the ALCS, I actually was kind of glad that they were wearing the vests because the protocol of "switch uniforms when they lose" that they follow(ed) meant that they wound up wearing their primary home & roads for the rest of the ALCS and the WS that year.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI Guru

Roman:

To be fair to Brooks I think his "us vs. them" and "grinder rules" marketing campaigns were very successful.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-10-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
For a couple of years there, half of MLB had vests. Remember those days?
How could I forget?! The red sleeveless alternates the Pirates wore were hideous.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They kept them that long? I must be projecting in my thinking.

When they lost Game 1 of the ALCS, I actually was kind of glad that they were wearing the vests because the protocol of "switch uniforms when they lose" that they follow(ed) meant that they wound up wearing their primary home & roads for the rest of the ALCS and the WS that year.
What I also liked about the 2005 post season is that they did not wear the black alternates one game.

I still think the Rolling Blackout game against Minnesota was awesome. The home pinstripes never looked so good against that sea of black jackets, caps, jerseys, etc. worn by the fans!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
How could I forget?! The red sleeveless alternates the Pirates wore were hideous.
Yuck.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Roman:

TGo be fair to Brooks I think his "us vs. them" and "grinder rules" marketing campaigns were very successful.

Lip
Yep. Then he promptly turned around and fired the marketing agency that came up with them.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Man, these kids today have absolutely no reading comprehension skills. They just skip over the words in the first ten posts of the thread and skip to the pictures.
I challenge you to read the first ten posts and determine what had changed. There was a reference to a "tuxedo stripe" and I had no idea what that meant. And then there was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_sox View Post
the stripes at the end of the sleeves? NOOOOOO!!!!
So I looked at sleeves in the pictures, and didn't see anything different. The only reference to pants at all was something to the effect of "if they took the stripes off the pants, wouldn't it make sense to take them off the sleeves too?" So, since the pants still had a stripe, again, I thought the reference was to sleeves.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Ah, thanks. I would never have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out. No big deal to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
God danged White Sox!! They will never get another dime of my money ever again!! That pants leg stripe was the last straw!! They're continuing to mess with perfection!!

Seriously. It's a stripe on some pants.
Thank you. I didn't even notice. I was a little preoccupied with the action on the field.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
WSI Prelate

I am a big fan of all things related to uniforms, so here are my two cents on this issue:

Is it a big deal? No. I THOUGHT I noticed something was different but couldn't say for certain. What it is though, is change for the sake of change and I am not really a fan of that. Paul Lukas over at Uni-watch has a good method of assessing uniform changes and that is: "Is it good? Or is it stupid?" I would argue that most changes for the sake of change are stupid. So it's not the end of the world and isn't really THAT big of a deal, but it is, well, annoying.

Go Sox!!!
Closed Thread