White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 AM
WSI High Priest

I've gone to over 1000 Sox games the last 20 years and have never had a problem with and usher or customer service employee. There have been times service at the concession stands has been painfully slow and it has seemed orderin pg some food was quite bothersome, but not very often. With all the complaints on here, I guess I have been very lucky, because that has not been my experience.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM
MMXXIII

If what has been alluded to in this thread is true, that the Sox help out at-risk youth rehabilitate themselves into society, that is much preferable to me.

That said, I was at the game Sunday, got a beer from one of the carts, ordered some food from a few stands, and had no complaints about the service at all. I suspect some of this relates to what anyone who has ever worked in retail can tell you: The customers who always have bad experiences at places almost always are jerks with bad attitudes to begin with, while the customers who have pleasant experiences are generally nice people with a pleasant disposition.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

I basically have "my own" beer vendor, I really have no use for an usher, and I rarely go to the concession stands, but it still bugs me that half of the park is closed when the lower bowl is full, even though it doesn't directly pertain to me. IMO that does not convey a "we're glad you're here" atmosphere and maybe that's why they don't get any "new" fans. Who wants to get a cheap seat in the LF corner and every stand is closed between you and the fan deck? I know it's not far but SOME people like to watch the game without missing 2 innings for a burger. Also, even though I have no need for ushers, I've seen them treat people like ****; they can't answer basic questions, and they move at a snail's pace if asked to get chairs for friends of disabled guests, for example. I've also seen people get berated on the way IN to the park by the traffic *******s. It's NOT a relaxing atmosphere for some and I can see a lot of people being "one and done" with the whole gameday experience.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If what has been alluded to in this thread is true, that the Sox help out at-risk youth rehabilitate themselves into society, that is much preferable to me.

That said, I was at the game Sunday, got a beer from one of the carts, ordered some food from a few stands, and had no complaints about the service at all. I suspect some of this relates to what anyone who has ever worked in retail can tell you: The customers who always have bad experiences at places almost always are jerks with bad attitudes to begin with, while the customers who have pleasant experiences are generally nice people with a pleasant disposition.
To your point, I use Trip Advisor pretty regularly for hotel and restaurant advice. I have learned that wherever a poster has negative comments for a location that gets overall good reviews, to check some of their other comments . It is amazing that some posters on that site constantly have "complaints" about service wherever they go. I am not sure these people are jerks but I think some people are never satisfied and will "whine" about everything.
We live in an era where customer service everywhere is "different" than it was 30 years ago. I think most of us adjust but some get frustrated by their perception of what the service should be.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yep - if it keeps them from congregating into flash mobs - or "wilding" is they refer to it these days - then so be it.

As a season ticket holder, my experience has been similar to that of Jerkos in terms of same beer vendor, no need for ushers, etc.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
To your point, I use Trip Advisor pretty regularly for hotel and restaurant advice. I have learned that wherever a poster has negative comments for a location that gets overall good reviews, to check some of their other comments . It is amazing that some posters on that site constantly have "complaints" about service wherever they go.
Yelp is the same way. Its uncanny - the one guy who has a bad experience at a particular restaurant also had bad experiences at the other 200 restaurants he's reviewed... Hard to please I suppose.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI Personality

I sit in the upper deck and my complaint with the ushers is that for good stretches of the game they are nowhere to be found. So there are always people standing at the railing while the game is ongoing and there are people yelling at them to move since their home plate view is blocked.
I have noticed at other parks that the ushers are at the sections before the game starts and can direct you to your seat which is nice if you haven't been to the park before.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJ14 View Post
I sit in the upper deck and my complaint with the ushers is that for good stretches of the game they are nowhere to be found. So there are always people standing at the railing while the game is ongoing and there are people yelling at them to move since their home plate view is blocked.
I have noticed at other parks that the ushers are at the sections before the game starts and can direct you to your seat which is nice if you haven't been to the park before.
You can text a # that is found on the back on most seats to somewhat "tell on" people like this for ushers to come take care of. They can't be everywhere at all times.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Karkovice View Post
You can text a # that is found on the back on most seats to somewhat "tell on" people like this for ushers to come take care of. They can't be everywhere at all times.

They can if you have one at every section which is often not the case.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Let me say I don't really care about too many things when I go to the game. I've been to Comiskey along with the UC, Toyota Park, Solider Field, Allstate, etc. many times in my life. I know my way around each stadium, and quite honestly, I'm only there to watch the game. I think the staff in each place is not exactly customer friendly. However, for a person like myself, I don't really care that much. I've been other stadiums in other cities, and they are light years ahead of actually glad you are there.

KC, in particular, blew me away. They even sold me two standing rooms for one game that was sold out. They actually had a policy for game days they can only sell that very day. They sold us tickets for all three games, and were helpful on where to sit. Our third game was a day game, and they showed us shade seats. Now, it could be their attitude is that they are happy to see you. But, whatever the case. It was much different than Comiskey. I've only been to Miller Park and the New Busch Stadium once. I didn't really get to see the stadium much. I will say, Miller Park is awesome to tailgate in. And, they didn't try to force us out right away as they do in Comiskey. I've been to other arenas, and saw the difference as well.

As I said, I really not looking for stadium experience. I'm a Sox fan, and I'm there to see the Sox. The stadium itself, to me, was used as an excuse. Before they re-modeled the park, it was generic and had no character. It didn't stop people from seeing a good team with young, marketable stars. It only when the team started to tank is when that was being used as an excuse. And, for the upper deck? Get over it. Go to Solider Field and let me know how their upper deck is.

However, this works for me since I just go to watch the team. When I bring my son to the park for the first time, I will have a different attitude. Also, I would recommend the Sox staff to act like they are happy to see you. Why? Because, they aren't exactly filling the ballpark. Whether you like it or not, the casual fan is a huge chunk of attendance. If you want them to come back, you might want them feel like they are welcomed. Personally, I would prefer to go on more trips to see the Sox in other parks. I just can't decide at the last minute to do that anymore.... At least I can see the Bulls in Milwaukee once a year.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Let me say I don't really care about too many things when I go to the game. I've been to Comiskey along with the UC, Toyota Park, Solider Field, Allstate, etc. many times in my life. I know my way around each stadium, and quite honestly, I'm only there to watch the game. I think the staff in each place is not exactly customer friendly. However, for a person like myself, I don't really care that much. I've been other stadiums in other cities, and they are light years ahead of actually glad you are there.

KC, in particular, blew me away. They even sold me two standing rooms for one game that was sold out. They actually had a policy for game days they can only sell that very day. They sold us tickets for all three games, and were helpful on where to sit. Our third game was a day game, and they showed us shade seats. Now, it could be their attitude is that they are happy to see you. But, whatever the case. It was much different than Comiskey. I've only been to Miller Park and the New Busch Stadium once. I didn't really get to see the stadium much. I will say, Miller Park is awesome to tailgate in. And, they didn't try to force us out right away as they do in Comiskey. I've been to other arenas, and saw the difference as well.

As I said, I really not looking for stadium experience. I'm a Sox fan, and I'm there to see the Sox. The stadium itself, to me, was used as an excuse. Before they re-modeled the park, it was generic and had no character. It didn't stop people from seeing a good team with young, marketable stars. It only when the team started to tank is when that was being used as an excuse. And, for the upper deck? Get over it. Go to Solider Field and let me know how their upper deck is.

However, this works for me since I just go to watch the team. When I bring my son to the park for the first time, I will have a different attitude. Also, I would recommend the Sox staff to act like they are happy to see you. Why? Because, they aren't exactly filling the ballpark. Whether you like it or not, the casual fan is a huge chunk of attendance. If you want them to come back, you might want them feel like they are welcomed. Personally, I would prefer to go on more trips to see the Sox in other parks. I just can't decide at the last minute to do that anymore.... At least I can see the Bulls in Milwaukee once a year.
This is all I'm saying. I'm not asking to be waited on hand and foot. But it would be nice if the ushers flashed a smile now and then, or if the concession workers didn't act like me placing an order was an inconvenience to them. I don't think friendliness is asking too much, but apparently some folks here think it is.

(And to doublem: I worked five years in retail. I know how awful some people can be. I also know that part of the job description is responding to rudeness with a positive demeanor. And just because the last guy you talked to was a jerk doesn't excuse your talking to me in kind.)
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I haven't been to any games, so I don't know, but do you HAVE to get the fries? When I was in Milwaukee for the games last weekend, most of the items there were listed as baskets including fries, but you could order just the sandwich for like half the price.
I didn't bother to wait in line to ask, got an italian sausage instead. Maybe I will next time.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
This is all I'm saying. I'm not asking to be waited on hand and foot. But it would be nice if the ushers flashed a smile now and then, or if the concession workers didn't act like me placing an order was an inconvenience to them. I don't think friendliness is asking too much, but apparently some folks here think it is.
And that's fine, I agree with that, and I'm just saying I was at the last Sox home game, had interactions with several food service workers and had very pleasant experiences with all of them, all of whom I felt promptly filled my order and said "enjoy the game" after I had paid. And I find this happens to me at Sox games consistently, over the course of the hundreds of games I have gone to over the years, I would say the number of poor experiences I've had are very far and few in between, so I don't know, maybe I'm just getting super lucky all the time with the concession stand workers?

Oh yeah, after I caught that foul ball, several ushers come down to my section to check and make sure everyone was OK. Lousy White Sox customer service!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM
WSI Regular

I was at the game Sunday after running the Shamrock Shuffle in the morning. I was wearing my race shirt and the woman at the concession stand congratulated me and was really nice. So they're not all bad.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoz View Post
I was at the game Sunday after running the Shamrock Shuffle in the morning. I was wearing my race shirt and the woman at the concession stand congratulated me and was really nice. So they're not all bad.
2 more miles and it would have been a regular workout for me.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."