White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI High Priest

They were the first uniforms I was introduced to. I didn't care for them when I was 8, and don't really care for them now.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was 7 years old in 83 and so I have a soft spot for the uniform. Loved em back then and still do to this day. I thought they looked great yesterday and can't wait to get to a Sunday game and see them in person.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

The uniform is ugly, but sometimes not often ugly can be endearing. I love those uniforms and the 83 team is my second favorite in my lifetime, even though I was around and remember 59. I do agree that only on Sunday is quite enough.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
First off, those are ugly uniforms. Pretty much every new uniform in MLB between 1970 and 1992 was terrible, and I am happy with what the Sox wear now (put the diamond sock back on the grays!). These were the softballiest of the silly softball uniforms of that era.

That being said, I will always have a soft spot for uniforms. Not just because the Sox won a division in them, but because they represent my childhood, even if I was too young to remember the Sox wearing them.

I think they looked damn good yesterday. The Sox again did a great job by ordering red shoes, undershirts and catchers' equipment (I'm sure they'll get a new helmet for Flowers shortly). I didn't like that they went with belts instead of the elastic which was worn at the time, but at least Majestic fixed the problem with the gigantic collars they had on throwbacks for the past 8 or so years. Other than the belts and the uniforms not being skin tight with the pants legs pulled up, these were as authentic as any throwback you'll see.

I think the Sox wearing them every Sunday is perfect. Not overkill yet. However, wearing them for all weekday games would be too much, and likely lead to a large contingent of younger people calling for the Sox to wear these full time. Let's not encourage that.
The Padres looked like a bunch of tacos back in the day. Those were real bad.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
New At WSI

I'm surprised there're so many people who aren't fond of them on here. I myself love em, just wish they'd give a nod to the stirrups or at least pulling up the Sox. I know, I know. Out of style. Still, it'd be neat!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsell93 View Post
I'm surprised there're so many people who aren't fond of them on here. I myself love em, just wish they'd give a nod to the stirrups or at least pulling up the Sox. I know, I know. Out of style. Still, it'd be neat!
I'm surprised as well. Especially considering all of the merchandise I've seen over the years for this uniform, colors, etc. I know they are marketing the 83 gear for this season, but I've seen the caps, jerseys, and other SOXMAN gear on a steady basis over the years. I always thought it was because they were popular.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm fine with featuring this throwback on Sunday day games once each decade.

Six years within each forthcoming decade lend themselves to featuring a previous Sox team's uniforms: 1990, 1983, 2005/2008 (no change needed), 1906, 1917, 1959. Not sure what to do about years ending in 1, 2 or 4.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.

Last edited by Frater Perdurabo; 04-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
WSI Prelate

I have a fondness for those uniforms since there is a photo of me wearing that uniform when I was about a month old. I prefer the two-tone home caps as opposed the ones they wore on the road, I wish the helmet looked like the hat. I think they looked good but they are probably best worn once a week for a year, if they were worn every day I would probably be sick of them. I know some people think they are ugly, but really there were a lot of uniforms worn in baseball around that time that looked far worse. The Pirates' uniforms around that time comes to mind.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 PM
WSI Regular

I love these uniforms and am really looking forward to a Sunday game this year! When I saw them on Sunday, memories came flooding back. BTW, I was 6 in 1983.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 AM
WSI High Priest

The unis are ugly. Thought so then, think so now, although for some reason this year's version looks a little better to me. I do like the tribute, however.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I'm fine with featuring this throwback on Sunday day games once each decade.

Six years within each forthcoming decade lend themselves to featuring a previous Sox team's uniforms: 1990, 1983, 2005/2008 (no change needed), 1906, 1917, 1959. Not sure what to do about years ending in 1, 2 or 4.
Despite the 90 team probably being my favorite team ever, I would think the 2000 team was more influential and historical than the 90 version.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I'm surprised as well. Especially considering all of the merchandise I've seen over the years for this uniform, colors, etc. I know they are marketing the 83 gear for this season, but I've seen the caps, jerseys, and other SOXMAN gear on a steady basis over the years. I always thought it was because they were popular.
Justin Bieber is popular. Popular =/= good. Ever since the "throwback" trend started, people have latched on to the most bizarre and ugly as the ones to wear, in all sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
The unis are ugly. Thought so then, think so now, although for some reason this year's version looks a little better to me. I do like the tribute, however.
Maybe the belt instead of the wide elastic waist band?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Despite the 90 team probably being my favorite team ever, I would think the 2000 team was more influential and historical than the 90 version.
Probably so. Good call.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
WSI High Priest

1976-1986 represented the Dark Age for Sox uniforms.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Maybe the belt instead of the wide elastic waist band?
I think that's got a lot to do with it. I also think that players today prefer a baggier look to their jerseys, especially the pants. I know some of the old timers rag on that look, but the 1983 jerseys took it to an extreme. Look at how tight the pants on these guys are:

They may as well be painted on. For reference, here's how the ones the wore Sunday looked:

I know a lot of traditionalists don't like the long pants, but I'd say that the latter looks a lot more like a baseball uniform while the former looks like a track suit.

Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I'd also wager the current throwbacks are still made with modern fabric blends while the '83 jerseys were basically all polyester, right? I think that has a lot to do with it. The fabric in the top picture just has a dated, '80s look to it, much more than the bottom pic even though it's the same jersey design.

But yeah, the belt makes such a huge difference. I was very surprised on Sunday at how much I liked the way the throwbacks looked. They were great.