White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Thoughts on 83' Throwback Uniforms

I have to admit, it was fun seeing the 83' throwback uniforms yesterday. I also think the belt loops improved the uniforms compared to the original navy, elastic waistband.

One thing I still don't like are the Montreal Expos-like three color caps. I always thought the two tone red/blue cap matched up better, just like the batting helmets.

I've read that most of the players liked the uniforms and Beckham even suggested that they wear the 83' throwbacks during every home day game this season, not just Sundays. Word is the SOX brass are considering it.

I think JR and his executive team have always liked these uniforms because they represent the first mark on the team since taking it over. They do bring back good memories of Fisk, Lukinski, Kittle, Hoyt, Seaver, etc. I just think the red/blue caps would match up so much better as the "SOX" would be white on both the jersey and on the cap. Like the picture of LaRussa below. I'm not sure if they ever actually wore this combo or whether the camera flash below just washed out the gray to make the jersey look white in this picture. I know that's not Comiskey in the background, so I assume they are on the road when this picture was taken...

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 04-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM
MMXXIII

I generally find these jerseys to be pretty ugly, but I'm not going to lie... They looked pretty good yesterday. I think I am going to get tired of seeing them every Sunday home game, though

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

I love the numbers on the pants.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

They are pretty ugly, especially the hats.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 AM
WSI Regular

I love that they included the 1983 All-Star game patch on the sleeve of the throwbacks.

But what happened here? (Spotted by Paul Lukas on Uni-watch.com)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by red barchetta View Post
i have to admit, it was fun seeing the 83' throwback uniforms yesterday. I also think the belt loops improved the uniforms compared to the original navy, elastic waistband.

one thing i still don't like are the montreal expos-like three color caps. I always thought the two tone red/blue cap matched up better, just like the batting helmets.

i've read that most of the players liked the uniforms and beckham even suggested that they wear the 83' throwbacks during every home day game this season, not just sundays. Word is the sox brass are considering it.

I think jr and his executive team have always liked these uniforms because they represent the first mark on the team since taking it over. They do bring back good memories of fisk, lukinski, kittle, hoyt, seaver, etc. I just think the red/blue caps would match up so much better as the "sox" would be white on both the jersey and on the cap. Like the picture of larussa below. I'm not sure if they ever actually wore this combo or whether the camera flash below just washed out the gray to make the jersey look white in this picture. I know that's not comiskey in the background, so i assume they are on the road when this picture was taken...

+1
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI Personality

Default 83 Uniforms

When JR bought the White Sox after the 1980 season the new ownership received more mail complaining about Bill Veecks ugly uniforms than anything else. I was surprised they replaced the 83 uniforms in the late 1980's with another uniform. It seems like the White Sox got it right when they came up with the black and silver uniforms late in the 1990 season.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

First off, those are ugly uniforms. Pretty much every new uniform in MLB between 1970 and 1992 was terrible, and I am happy with what the Sox wear now (put the diamond sock back on the grays!). These were the softballiest of the silly softball uniforms of that era.

That being said, I will always have a soft spot for uniforms. Not just because the Sox won a division in them, but because they represent my childhood, even if I was too young to remember the Sox wearing them.

I think they looked damn good yesterday. The Sox again did a great job by ordering red shoes, undershirts and catchers' equipment (I'm sure they'll get a new helmet for Flowers shortly). I didn't like that they went with belts instead of the elastic which was worn at the time, but at least Majestic fixed the problem with the gigantic collars they had on throwbacks for the past 8 or so years. Other than the belts and the uniforms not being skin tight with the pants legs pulled up, these were as authentic as any throwback you'll see.

I think the Sox wearing them every Sunday is perfect. Not overkill yet. However, wearing them for all weekday games would be too much, and likely lead to a large contingent of younger people calling for the Sox to wear these full time. Let's not encourage that.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI High Priest

I think those '83 uniforms look pretty ugly. They looked pretty ugly back then and they look even uglier now. I hope they're not going to extend them to every home day game. Seeing these tacky jerseys on Sundays is more than enough.

When I was a kid, the Sox bounced from lousy uniform design to lousy uniform design. Thank goodness they came to their senses and went back to a classic design in 1990. I appreciate the tribute to the '83 team, but let's stop reliving the ugly uniforms already.

I can't wait for throwback Sundays later this decade that will feature shorts, uniforms with collars, and uniforms with the "Einhorn E" caps.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
First off, those are ugly uniforms. Pretty much every new uniform in MLB between 1970 and 1992 was terrible, and I am happy with what the Sox wear now (put the diamond sock back on the grays!). These were the softballiest of the silly softball uniforms of that era.

That being said, I will always have a soft spot for uniforms. Not just because the Sox won a division in them, but because they represent my childhood, even if I was too young to remember the Sox wearing them.

I think they looked damn good yesterday. The Sox again did a great job by ordering red shoes, undershirts and catchers' equipment (I'm sure they'll get a new helmet for Flowers shortly). I didn't like that they went with belts instead of the elastic which was worn at the time, but at least Majestic fixed the problem with the gigantic collars they had on throwbacks for the past 8 or so years. Other than the belts and the uniforms not being skin tight with the pants legs pulled up, these were as authentic as any throwback you'll see.

I think the Sox wearing them every Sunday is perfect. Not overkill yet. However, wearing them for all weekday games would be too much, and likely lead to a large contingent of younger people calling for the Sox to wear these full time. Let's not encourage that.
Agree. These uniforms overall are pretty awful - half 80's Expos and half 80's Astros. But they bring back good memories.

Our current standard home uniforms are the best Sox uniforms of my lifetime, and I was born in the 60s. Wearing these on Sundays are enough.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought it was pretty neat seeing those uniform. I felt like I was 13 years old again. They are pretty ugly, but it's the novelty of seeing them like this that I like. Having them for only Sunday home games is fine. Any more, and the whole novelty, unique-ness of it starts to wear off. That's what I think would happen if they start expanding it and wearing them for all home day games. Then it starts to get ridiculous. You wear your main uniform (the current one is still the best as far as I'm concerned), and then a few times a year, you pull out a throwback like these to wear. That should be it.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Love 'em. They took me back to my childhood. I don't think they're ugly at all, and I'd love to get one.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
WSI Regular

This uniform was my first exposure (that I remember) to Sox baseball. Two kids in my class (twins) got the uniforms after a trip to the park. I was very jealous and always wanted that jersey.

I now own the away grey version and the home white. Love it.

They looked awesome yesterday.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Agree. These uniforms overall are pretty awful - half 80's Expos and half 80's Astros. But they bring back good memories.

Our current standard home uniforms are the best Sox uniforms of my lifetime, and I was born in the 60s. Wearing these on Sundays are enough.
The '80's Expos unis are my favorite non-Sox uniforms of all time. If I were to buy a non-Sox jersey is would be the white Expo Tim Raines.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI Personality

The designers deff made these uniforms look better than what they were in the 80's but they are still ugly uniforms and I thought they were ugly as a kid too. I would rather see an updated version of the 1977 Whitesox.