White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Some people are never going to get it. 20,000 aren't just going to wake up and flock to the ballpark. If advanced ticket sales are very low, you aren't going to get a lot of people.

There was a game in early April on a Sunday a coupe of years ago. There was no lake breeze, either. 23K was the announced attendance. Sure, the nice day attracted SOME people (like myself and wife), but the park wasn't magically going to be full. In 2007, the Sox lost 90 games, but drew 2.7K. Those tickets were sold in advance. It's really not that hard to grasp. Since Sox tickets are so easy to get, I have no motivation to buy tickets in advance.
.....and yet, this will assuredly keep coming up here again and again: "Hey, the Sox were winning last year and the fans still didn't show up! What else do you want the Sox to do!" One playoff appearance (and one lone playoff win) in the last 7 seasons since the 2006 attendance high point and people stubbornly want to keep clinging to the falsehood that Sox fans won't even support a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because the team hasn't been nearly as good since, either.
Yep, a bunch of seasons in a row where the Sox get hot in June and July before finally finishing in 2nd or 3rd isn't going to make them more competitive at the ticket window. At least they showed heart and stuck around in 1st until September last year, but it still isn't a good way to win over the Chicago market.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yep, a bunch of seasons in a row where the Sox get hot in June and July before finally finishing in 2nd or 3rd isn't going to make them more competitive at the ticket window. At least they showed heart and stuck around in 1st until September last year, but it still isn't a good way to win over the Chicago market.
This is true. Playing well in the middle of summer only to fade in September doesn't cut it especially when it happens season after season. This only shows the team isn't good enough to weather a 162-game season.

After 2005, many of us fans thought the Sox got over the hump and would really establish a sustained, winning tradition. Unfortunately that didn't happen. What is frustrating is that team-fan relations are still not good. More frustatiing is that the club has the ability to put a decent product on the field but not a great one. So the Sox can put up win totals in the mid-80's like they will this year, but can't break into the playoffs even with an additional wild card slot. And with only five playoff appearances in almost 45 years of divisional play, that gets old.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
This is true. Playing well in the middle of summer only to fade in September doesn't cut it especially when it happens season after season. This only shows the team isn't good enough to weather a 162-game season.

After 2005, many of us fans thought the Sox got over the hump and would really establish a sustained, winning tradition. Unfortunately that didn't happen. What is frustrating is that team-fan relations are still not good. More frustrating is that the club has the ability to put a decent product on the field but not a great one. So the Sox can put up win totals in the mid-80's like they will this year, but can't break into the playoffs even with an additional wild card slot. And with only five playoff appearances in almost 45 years of divisional play, that gets old.
This is the heart of the team's problem. It's not Sox fans' lack of loyalty or ugliness of the ballpark.

Unfortunately, the Sox have been squandering a golden opportunity the last 5 years to really make significant, lasting gains in the Chicago market with the Cubs continuing to flounder on the field and frustration building with fans of the team up North.

IMO, the Sox need to become a consistent playoff team before the Cubs get Wrigley renovations done and climb out their current mess. Sure, I can easily see the Cubs continuing on with more failed promises on the field and Theo just becoming the next in a line of failures (McPhail, Hendry, etc.). But, if the Sox are operating their team as if they can just assume the Cubs will continue to suck forever, then shame on the Sox.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Guru

Hitmen:

You and Dan make some great points but remember again that when talking about the Cubs, the Sox do not feel and haven't since the current owners took over that they are in competitition with them for the Chicago market. (Can you imagine either JR or EE calling the Tribune for example and complaining to the editor about the number of column inches the Sox were getting as Bill Veeck did??)

To me that explains a lot of what they have done in the past and why. They honestly feel they are in a 'one team town' in the sense that they are to use Einhorn's exact quote "Chicago's American League team..."

That philosophy has lasted over 30 years now. I don't understand it myself but I never claimed to be a businessman.

Lip
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hitmen:

You and Dan make some great points but remember again that when talking about the Cubs, the Sox do not feel and haven't since the current owners took over that they are in competitition with them for the Chicago market. (Can you imagine either JR or EE calling the Tribune for example and complaining to the editor about the number of column inches the Sox were getting as Bill Veeck did??)

To me that explains a lot of what they have done in the past and why. They honestly feel they are in a 'one team town' in the sense that they are to use Einhorn's exact quote "Chicago's American League team..."

That philosophy has lasted over 30 years now. I don't understand it myself but I never claimed to be a businessman.

Lip
I agree. In contrast to the SOX, due to the brilliant (Yes it was!) marketing of Wrigley Field by the Tribune, the Cubs now have the luxury of attracting 3M fans" per season while not re-investing into the on field talent. This allows them to continue to focus on building their brand (Wrigley Field, neighborhood, tourist attraction, hotels, etc.) while they hide behind another rebuilding effort on-field.

I believe Theo will eventually get them back to the playoffs, however I really don't think they are in a hurry and probably enjoy the fact that they can get their prize possession renovated during the process.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I agree. In contrast to the SOX, due to the brilliant (Yes it was!) marketing of Wrigley Field by the Tribune, the Cubs now have the luxury of attracting 3M fans" per season while not re-investing into the on field talent. This allows them to continue to focus on building their brand (Wrigley Field, neighborhood, tourist attraction, hotels, etc.) while they hide behind another rebuilding effort on-field.

I believe Theo will eventually get them back to the playoffs, however I really don't think they are in a hurry and probably enjoy the fact that they can get their prize possession renovated during the process.
Great post. Also good work by Lip Man, Dan H and Hitmen 77.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Hitmen:

Lip

Lip,

This ownership has always had "pigs get fat, hogs go to market" philosophy. Why take a chance when you got a sure stream of money rolling in. I think their pocketbooks can attest to that.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM
MMXXIII

It is official official... Cubs and city agree to $500 million Wrigley renovation deal

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/cubs-...enovation-deal

Still not 100% sure how the rooftop owners will respond to this.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It is official official... Cubs and city agree to $500 million Wrigley renovation deal

From what I understand, there is still 11 years left on the agreement they made with the Trib company so many years ago. So, if they feel the agreement is not being met, they could sue the team. After the 11 years is up, and the Cubs don't want to renew, they really can't do anything.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They'll have a tough time arguing that the Cubs are breaching the contract if the video board blocks the views from the right field rooftops. The contract provides that "any expansion of Wrigley Field approved by governmental authorities shall not be a violation" of the deal.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Bad Guys

I have always been of the belief that it has to be tough to walk away from a goldmine. Still, I think it's crazy to spend upwards of $300 million dollars on a dump like Wrigley Field. Most of the Cubs fans I talk to would welcome a brand new stadium in Rosemont, especially when Rosemont is giving you the land for nothing. The only other city that gave a baseball team land to build their stadium was LA, where the Dodgers built their stadium. Some people have made comments that Boston fixed up Fenway Park a few years ago. I read an article last year with one of the executives of the Red Sox, and he said if they had to do it all over again, they would of built a new stadium. Even though Fenway Park has been rehabbed it's still an old building with some of the same issues it had before. I know the White Sox lease runs through 2026, but I still think they will start looking for a new stadium in another 10 years or so. I would think if Rosemont or some other near the city suburb offers the White Sox land to build a stadium on, they will jump at the opportunity.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I have always been of the belief that it has to be tough to walk away from a goldmine. Still, I think it's crazy to spend upwards of $300 million dollars on a dump like Wrigley Field. Most of the Cubs fans I talk to would welcome a brand new stadium in Rosemont, especially when Rosemont is giving you the land for nothing. The only other city that gave a baseball team land to build their stadium was LA, where the Dodgers built their stadium. Some people have made comments that Boston fixed up Fenway Park a few years ago. I read an article last year with one of the executives of the Red Sox, and he said if they had to do it all over again, they would of built a new stadium. Even though Fenway Park has been rehabbed it's still an old building with some of the same issues it had before. I know the White Sox lease runs through 2026, but I still think they will start looking for a new stadium in another 10 years or so. I would think if Rosemont or some other near the city suburb offers the White Sox land to build a stadium on, they will jump at the opportunity.
I honestly think revenue goes down and ticket sales suffer with a new stadium, unless it is built exactly where Wrigley is. Even then, who knows. The sheer number of people who go there regardless of the teams playing is huge. There are more Wrigley Field fans than Cubs fans, or at least as many.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Where exactly is the $500M coming from? The article says it won't be taxpayer-funded and that Ricketts will "seek to open new revenue streams outside the stadium".
Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Where exactly is the $500M coming from? The article says it won't be taxpayer-funded and that Ricketts will "seek to open new revenue streams outside the stadium".
IT's what credit is for.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI Guru

The thing is though the last I read Ricketts was up to his neck in debt already because of overpaying for the franchise...Zell / Tribune took him to the cleaners.

Lip