White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

I really appreciate the responses Brooks gives. His willingness to connect to the fan base is admirable.

Unfortunately, people that go to the ballpark are not going to differentiate between White Sox employees, concession company employees, and city traffic employees. As soon as fans come into contact with the parking attendants, the game day experience begins. I know Brooks can't control them, but they are still part of the package.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
I really appreciate the responses Brooks gives. His willingness to connect to the fan base is admirable.

Unfortunately, people that go to the ballpark are not going to differentiate between White Sox employees, concession company employees, and city traffic employees. As soon as fans come into contact with the parking attendants, the game day experience begins. I know Brooks can't control them, but they are still part of the package.
Yup. It does explain to a certain extent why despite the complaints things haven't changed. I guess I will just have to continue to deal with ****ty service to see my favorite team.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I'm not saying, I'm just saying- Did you ever think that maybe the difference isn't US Cellular field vs other MLB parks, but is more of a Chicago vs other cities thing?
They're nice at Wrigley and the United Center.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
I think it is fairly obvious that these are not full time White Sox employees. We have many GREAT people in these areas, but, we realize that we are not batting 1.000 with these people, who do turn over year to year.
I appreciate his detail and honesty, but this is the part I don't get.

So only full time Sox employees are expected to perform their tasks in a brisk, yet hospitable manner? I realize those jobs aren't the best in the world and they make next to nothing, but maybe pay them a few more bucks, make the jobs desirable and create some sort of vetting system

Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post

So only full time Sox employees are expected to perform their tasks in a brisk, yet hospitable manner? I realize those jobs aren't the best in the world and they make next to nothing, but maybe pay them a few more bucks, make the jobs desirable and create some sort of vetting system
Ok, this will sound strange, but this is due to a state law that I work with. The source of many of the seasonal employees gives the kids an excellent opportunity to overcome their circumstances. State law does not permit me to elaborate.

All hail The Rick
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post

I think he's just trying to say that they're not employees of the White Sox, i.e., it's not our problem, it's the city (parking lot) or whomever has the concession contract (I forget whom). It's a bit of a cop-out, to be sure.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Ok, this will sound strange, but this is due to a state law that I work with. The source of many of the seasonal employees gives the kids an excellent opportunity to overcome their circumstances. State law does not permit me to elaborate.

Alright, I never thought of that. But it makes sense. Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
They're nice at Wrigley and the United Center.
I've never been to either, so I don't have them as a comparison. My only other Chicago sporting event adventure site was Soldier Field and I can't say it was any different than any other place I've ever been.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM
WSI Guru

Is Brooks still claiming there was some sort of massive groundswell movement for the Pirates opening montage to be changed? This, more than anything else, just amuses me. He made a mistake and has decided not to fix it. No need to take the sock off the jerseys and no need to change the video.

If he would like to do something productive in the offseason, he should think of ways to get out of the apparent ironclad contract with Sportservice and hire Dick Portillo to take over all aspects of the food concessions at the park, from hiring workers to training to providing and preparing the food. Hand the entire operation over.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI Regular

How about the Sox post both videos on the website and have a public poll about which one people prefer?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

OK, I've just got back from my second game of the year and I'll try to throw some positives into this thread on the ballpark experience this year.

1. There seemed to be a lot less noise and announcements between inning more than a few times, the inning would end and the organist would play over crowd shots on the scoreboard. It was kind of laid back and relaxing for an afternoon game. AND... No stupid on top of the dugout dance contests! Cripe it always looked like they scoured every bad Irish wedding reception seeking out the male talent for those things.

2. Speaking of the organist, kudos to her for taking some time in the off season and learning some current pop hits. That was Nancy's trademark and it was nice to hear her pick it up.

3. I know this will sound a little snobbish, but service in the Club Level was Jimmy John like today. Before I got change back for my beer the beer had arrived.

4. God help me, the new intro didn't look half bad. Still don't think the over the top dramatic reading will hold up to repeated viewing, but it wasn't awful.

5. I know it's year 3 for this, but the view of that Grand Staircase exiting gate 5 during the day, that frames the skyline is the coolest sight in the park.

6. There does seem to be an increasing number of stands that are taking debit, credit and gift cards.

Now my one negative for the day. The park needs a good bath. Coming up on the Gate 5 escalator, there was a big pile of cans and glasses that were sitting on a ledge half way up. The doors leading into the park from the ramps looked like they were cleaned with oily rags. Just a bunch of little neglected bits around the park looked like they were missed in the preseason walk around.

Also, one other thing. Took Metra in and noticed that the mural that was unveiled with much fanfare underneath the 35th Street Metra viaduct celebrating Black baseball is gone. Anybody know what happened to it?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
State law won't permit you to elaborate on state law?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Is Brooks still claiming there was some sort of massive groundswell movement for the Pirates opening montage to be changed? This, more than anything else, just amuses me. He made a mistake and has decided not to fix it. No need to take the sock off the jerseys and no need to change the video.

If he would like to do something productive in the offseason, he should think of ways to get out of the apparent ironclad contract with Sportservice and hire Dick Portillo to take over all aspects of the food concessions at the park, from hiring workers to training to providing and preparing the food. Hand the entire operation over.
Interesting idea. Was this ever discussed or are you just spit balling?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Interesting idea. Was this ever discussed or are you just spit balling?
I've got no inside information. We threw this at the wall a couple of years ago. I'm giving an example of an outfit, from everything I've read and heard, is a first-class operation in the way it is run from entry-level training to cleanliness standards to customer service. They have a zero-tolerance policy in the back regarding service and cleanliness.

It's not even about serving a better tasting hotdog at this point. The food is almost secondary. A hotdog will taste good at a game if it's served warm, quickly and with a smile.

There's something broken with the system, and what Dump alludes to is interesting. Sportservice clearly struggles with training and managing the people put in these positions, and whether it's a socio-economic problem or not, it has been a consistent problem. For example, I'd be curious to know if each stand has a "manager" overseeing what's happening. It appears that each stand is an island unto itself with nobody specfically in charge, and that creates some of the chaos that you see. The lack of QA/QC towards the end of the season is appauling. I generally don't even buy food at the park anymore. I stop at Jimmy John's on 35th Street after getting off the train.

That's why I think it is humorous that there is focus on entirely trivial things that don't need revisions like scoreboard videos and uniform patches. The Sox are leaving money on the table with the bad concession service, and this is has been known for years. There's no reason to go to a game in September and spend six dollars on a hot pretzel and receive something that is literally ice cold and stale.

But, getting back to the Portillos idea, it doesn't have to be Portillos. It could be Levy taking over everything in the park or perhaps something out of the box like the Lettuce Group. I don't know if they'd even be interested in something like that.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Brooks said, "Changing anything is hard, especially when it is something that is liked."

Why change something that is liked?