White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Win the series, win the series, win the series. All year long, just win the series!
Hey, can't argue with that. We weren't expected to win this one based on matchup anyway.

This was a good series.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Looks like Keppinger got a case of the Soxitis. Wouldn't be surprised to see a career low batting average this year.

3 games, 7 runs and 5 homers for the offense on the year. It is going to be the same bad baseball as usual.
First in the AL in ERA after 3 games. Be nice if we are at that spot come September.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Weather is cold, pitching should dominate. This should continue for weekend series. The 1,2,3 and pen has looked good, love to see good performances from 4 and 5 now.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Guru

Last five starts against the White Sox, "Catfish" Guthrie has allowed two earned runs in 35 and 2/3rd's innings.

When the Sox scored their only run in the 5th inning it snapped a 21 inning shutout streak he had going against them. Bet your bottom dollar the Royals are going to try to pitch this guys against the Sox in every series much like Verlander does with the Tigers.

In 14 of the last 21 meetings between the two teams the Sox have scored three runs or less. They are 3-11 in those games.

Oh by the way, it's "Cy" Chen, "The Great" Mendoza and "Catfish" Guthrie.

Lip
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI Prelate

I have an irrational fear that Keppinger might be one of those players who simply loses it with the Sox, due exclusively to our previous experience watching train wrecks named Cory Snyder, Steve Sax, etc.

Yes, it's irrational.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Blew off work for this one. Was kind of funny to see everyone bundled up when it turned out to be a gorgeous day (especially on the sunny side of the field).

Couldn't help but be impressed with both Flowers and Beckham at the plate. Keppinger plays a solid 3B. Viciedo, on the other hand, looked completely out of it at the plate. Nice grab in the second, but not even close on his swing. The wind was kind of swirling all day, for what little there was, so it was tough to see anything going out, which is not good when only the bottom of the lineup is producing.

One of those 60 we were probably destined to lose.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Looks like Keppinger got a case of the Soxitis. Wouldn't be surprised to see a career low batting average this year.

3 games, 7 runs and 5 homers for the offense on the year. It is going to be the same bad baseball as usual.

It is?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That is all
Thanks for the thread title. Very appropriate.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I have an irrational fear that Keppinger might be one of those players who simply loses it with the Sox, due exclusively to our previous experience watching train wrecks named Cory Snyder, Steve Sax, etc.

Yes, it's irrational.
Even if he was, I think we'll be okay at 3B.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Whoop-de-doo. 1-6 RISP and 9 LOB with 12 Ks.

Now we're 1-14 with RISP. Hopefully that improves against Seattle.
Only bitch about this series. Could have pulled this one out today with some timely hitting. Nice start. Gavin had 1 bad inning and it bit him in the ass. He should have won this game.

Could get used to them winning every series against these bums.

BK59
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
He's pitching against Dylan Axelrod on Saturday. I'm glad I went to Opening Day because at least I got to see one victory on this homestand. I don't have much hope for a Sox win on Saturday. At least it's supposed to be in the 60s, which is well-deserved after sitting through a temperature of 37 degrees at first pitch on Monday!

I'd rather the Sox face King Felix than Guthrie. No teal intended. If the Royals would have started Chen this series I'm guessing the outcome wouldn't be in our favor...BUT. Thrilled to win a series against these guys and thrilled with how solid our pitching looked.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

Yes, it's irrational.
I don't know that Cory Snyder was a train wreck so much as he couldn't hit using Hriniak's approach. He told Walt as much during a meeting, and was traded a week later. Lip details the story in an interview he did with Cory several seasons ago.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
It is?
I don't think so. I think the offense will be stronger and smarter than it was in 2013, although it felt truncated today.

Really, today's game was one the White Sox could have won, perhaps should have won. The Royals made a couple of big defensive plays and executed in the only inning they scored. At the time, I wondered if Floyd let down after he gave up the lead. The numbers say he pitched a pretty good game, but it you watched it, you could see he let the game get away from him and didn't deserve to win.

The first key play was De Aza's being doubled up with runners at first and third with one out after the Sox executed the hit and run. There is no way of knowing if the Royals would have hit and run if the score weren't tied. And assuming the game played out with the Sox scoring their runner from third, I wonder if Floyd would have given up the hit driving in the second run if the score were still tied.

Even with the Sox down 3-1, the next time De Aza came up with runners at first and third, I thought he was tying the game with a gapper, but Dyson made a very nice catch. Even when he got to the ball, I thought it was behind him.

The Royals simply outplayed the Sox today, making the clutch plays when they needed to. On the positive side, the bottom of the lineup did a great job is setting up innings. Unfortunately, the top of the order hasn't started hitting. It isn't even so much a matter of not hitting. Today the White Sox might have won against a tough pitcher if De Aza had beaten the double-play relay to first.

It's odd, though, that the new pitchers the Royals started ahead of their strongest pitcher from last year, the pitchers who were supposed to turn the Royals around behind their strong offense and bullpen, were the ones the Sox beat in the series.

The first loss is always disappointing. I was hoping to go undefeated.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't think so. I think the offense will be stronger and smarter than it was in 2013, although it felt truncated today.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Unfortunate, but that's just the way it goes. Guys who pitch backwards seem to give Viciedo the biggest problems.