White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
As long as the runs come, I don't care how they get them. It's GREAT to see the Sox a) beat the Royals and b) score 5 runs in an April game. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and we avoid the typical corpseball we see this time of year.
The April Corpseball was a problem under Jerry Manuel, and it became a problem during Guillen's final years, after a brief hiatus between '04 and '06. The Sox had a solild April last season. We'll see if Robin has more magic under his Sox cap.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Unless someone gets hurt, never complain about a win.

If they lost after committing three errors and failing with RISP, then complaints are OK.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Unless someone gets hurt, never complain about a win.

If they lost after committing three errors and failing with RISP, then complaints are OK.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Would be a big statement if we swept them tomorrow.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice start to the season against a team we really need to play well against.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Would be a big statement if we swept them tomorrow.
See! Even HomeFish has his hopes up after these two wins!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Too many people are drinking Lip's Kool-Aid these days. The Sox win 1-0 and people whine about the lack of offense. They win 5-2 on the strength of four home runs, and people whine about a perceived lack of clutch hitting. I'm glad 'West doesn't come aruond as much. He'd be banning people left and right with all of the depressoid psychobabble that's infested this place.
Oh for ****'s sake.

No one is depressed. No one is psychotic. We're all happy we won two games.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI Regular

If my math is correct, through the first thirty games last year the Sox were 13-17, 5 games out.

[QUOTE=The Sox had a solild April last season. We'll see if Robin has more magic under his Sox cap.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
If my math is correct, through the first thirty games last year the Sox were 13-17, 5 games out.
I don't know if that's right...

We better start hot this year. Statistically, we have the easiest schedule in baseball to start the year (based off last year's standings). Our second half is especially brutal by comparison.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Oh for ****'s sake.

No one is depressed. No one is psychotic. We're all happy we won two games.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Why are you assuming they're going to lose tomorrow? Jerry Manuel isn't their manager anymore, and I doubt that Robin's going to concede the third game because they won the first two.
Whoops. Wasn't paying attention.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Nice start to the season against a team we really need to play well against.
I agree. Except for the defensive mind farts on the left side of the field, the team looked solid. Alexi and Tank both made up for it with their bats.

It's way too early to analyze how they win as I think early season wins are just as important as late season wins.

I used to throw up in my mouth every time Ozzie used to talk around the slow starts and claim there is plenty of time left. Every win in April makes it easier in September.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I could go for a hit with a runner in scoring position. Unless these guys are actually planning on hitting 648 home runs this season.
I was thinking the same thing, but twice today with two outs and runners in scoring postion, Sox hitters had good at bats and hit the ball well. Today the killer as far as scoring baserunners was Flowers trying to score on a pitch in the dirt. I don't know if anyone shouted for him to break for home. Keppinger didn't seem to be waving him in. But again, he homered to break the tie, putting the Sox ahead for good, the game-winning hit, and caught a good game.

Today's game wasn't particularly well-played. Aside from the baserunning mistake and issues in left, the defense was solid, though, and the pitching very good. As in the opener, the Royals were facing a pitcher they had hit well in the past and really couldn't put anything together. The Ramirez error appared to be the fault of Viciedo who didn't seem to be calling for the fly and didn't seem to care that Ramirez was. Booting a two-out hit and allowing the runner to score from first led to half the Royals' scoring so far this week. The Royals later scored a fundamental run by scoring a leadoff double without hitting the ball out of the infield. That would have been huge if the Sox bullpen hadn't shut down the Royals with the bases loaded and the tying run in scoring position after the Wise error.

I don't know what was going on with the Sox in left today. Viciedo is still developing defensively as an outfielder, some of his minor league development being spent at third base. The mistakes seemed to be mental. Maybe he will learn from them. De Aza and Beckham made some nice plays on defense, though.

Today, it again came down to the pitching. Peavy had a very nice start. The bullpen did its job working its way out of a bases-loaded jam. Santana did well with his breaking pitches, was able to throw them for strikes, but the Sox beat him on his fastball. The home runs provided a little margin for error, that was needed today because of some poor play in left. Fortunately the pitching was good enough that the Sox didn't need the run(s) they didn't score after loading the bases with one out.

Dunn looked much better offensively today, especially being more active early in the count. Going for the sweep, the Sox will be facing Guthrie, who is coming off a very good season. Maybe, despite looking so good in spring training, early in the season is the best time to catch the Royals, as it was last year.

Really, it's nice to start off the season with a couple of wins at home, especially against two pitchers who were supposed to be key in turning around the Royals fortunes.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Whoops. Wasn't paying attention.
No worries. It's been that kind of day for me, too.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I don't know if that's right...

We better start hot this year. Statistically, we have the easiest schedule in baseball to start the year (based off last year's standings). Our second half is especially brutal by comparison.
I wonder how it looks based on prognostications. Teams like the Jays and Royals are highly touted. We play the ultra hyped Nationals early (their hype approaches the hype the Rangers got from 2010-2012). I'm not so sure it's so damn easy in April. In late-April, early May, we play the Rays, Rangers and Angels.