White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How would you rate the video?
Terrible 32 38.10%
Awful 52 61.90%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales the pre-game video is back
He must be talking about in the park. I'm not near a TV - is the horrible Saliva video making another appearance?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I didn't see the goofy lip-synch video on WGN today, so hopefully it was a one-time deal.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
Brooks has been terrible or the team as been terrible (or more disappointing then truly terrible.)

If this teams wins or goes to the playoffs, attendance is a less touch subject.

If I were Brooks, I would eat up all the PR this video is getting. Who would think a video to a popular song would generate so much negative feedback . You'd think the Sox did something wrong.

But for those that hate it, keep gabbing. It's giving the Sox a lot of PR.

Bob
On what planet is this a "popular song"? It's not even recent. The Sox probably didn't want to pony up the licensing fee for a more current, hip, band like Limp Bizkit (teal implied).

Brooks Boyer has to rank among the worst marketing guys in the business. He's the anti-John McDonough. The fans are ultimately to blame for Sox attendance woes but their marketing department sure isn't helping. A chimpanzee could have generated some sustained excitement and ticket sales from a World Series Championship but not Boyer. He continues to play the sports marketing equivalent of 'small ball.'

For the poster that got a response from Boyer, can you paraphrase?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
WSI High Priest

The Saliva song played in the park about a half-hour before first pitch. The song played another half-dozen times.

2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
WSI Personality

In reading through some of the threads related to the video, I had hoped someone from the Sox would have revealed that the video was done tongue-in-cheek or it was part of an April Fool's Day prank. The fact that this was an earnest attempt at being "cool" should be enough to get a few people fired.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
I didn't see the goofy lip-synch video on WGN today, so hopefully it was a one-time deal.
It probably is for CSN games only - hence why we didnt see it today on WGN.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

This entire thread reminds me of that episode of South Park with the Prius owners sniffing their own farts.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
This entire thread reminds me of that episode of South Park with the Prius owners sniffing their own farts.
Touche

Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think the more interesting debate is why a healthy majority feels that awful is worse than terrible.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
This is why the Sox (or anyone, for that matter) cannot, ever, make everyone happy. I think the pie campaign is funny; I just LOLed at the extended version.

I wouldn't want to work in marketing - it's gotta be difficult to NOT piss someone off.
I agree with you on the pie campaign/commercial, I also think it is funny. I haven't seen the extended version yet but will definitely make it a point to go and watch it.

My only concern (being the Mom that I am) is related to one of the Sox players getting accidentally injured from getting hit with too much whipped cream in the eye, particularly Adam or Paulie whose vision is key to their ability to see the ball and hit it. Other than that, it appeared to me that the Sox players were having fun, especially Reed, Sale, and Flowers.

And to your point about not wanting to work in marketing: I agree. I get that the Sox are trying to reach out to a younger age group of fans and perhaps that is the goal of these new videos. However, as a huge fan of the "Pirates Carib Intro Montage", I am very disappointed to learn that it has been discarded and is no longer part of the White Sox Baseball/Park Experience. I loved that Sox Opening Montage.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Disagree

This made me nearly barf up my 2 italian sausages AND my hot dog.

Memo to Kenny,Brooks and Scott; you CANNOT be all things to all people!! This would work much better in a setting OTHER than a Sox game.Some Sox fans (myself,for example) don't want you to waste our time with this ****. I know you have to try to keep everyone's attention span on baseball,but this ain't workin' for me,guys.Count me as one fan who hopes he never sees this **** at future Sox games.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Touche

"I looooove 'South Park' references."
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
This made me nearly barf up my 2 italian sausages AND my hot dog.

Memo to Kenny,Brooks and Scott; you CANNOT be all things to all people!! This would work much better in a setting OTHER than a Sox game.Some Sox fans (myself,for example) don't want you to waste our time with this ****. I know you have to try to keep everyone's attention span on baseball,but this ain't workin' for me,guys.Count me as one fan who hopes he never sees this **** at future Sox games.
Tell Brooks at bboyer@chisox.com
Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI Regular

I had an awful bout with the flu earlier this week and was unable to attend the home opener. Watching this video on Monday made me feel even worse.

From all the surveys that we keep getting from the team it is obvious they are always looking at ways to improve the "fan experience" at the ballpark. I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned the opening video montage with the Pirates of the Carribbean music as being something that they felt needed to be tweaked or even scrapped. As someone else said even casual observers can get into that video. Hearing that music and seeing the clips...you know it's gametime.

Hell, my cousin's husband is a Twins fan and he even loved that old intro when they were in town for a game.

If they want to use this Saliva lip sync thing during the pregame before rolling out the old into, that's fine. I will plug my ears and go grab a Walking Taco or something.