White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
I don't mind that the montage was retired, but the new narrative one doesn't work. Hearing that over baked speech every game is going to get a little tiresome. Music over clips is all you need. I hate to keep bringing them up, but the Hawks new "I stand for.." Scoreboard video over fun's Some Nights works and they seem to change it up every so often.
This. While I loved the Pirates-scored montage, I can accept change. But it has to have music. Unless they're going to record a new soliloquy every homestand--which is both unrealistic and would get cheesy in its own right after awhile--a speech, no matter how good it is, will get old real quick.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

I do not like the new intro so I did email Brooks to give my opinion, here is his reply:

Ed,

Thanks for the note.

I have received a few emails on this today. For some, they think that we have replaced a traditional video with a lip synced rock video, which is not the case. Others miss “Pirates”. As part of our research, it was clear that a lot of our fans wanted a fresh look at the open. We tried to continue with the tradition of showing memorable White Sox historical footage over building music and a powerful, inspirational message……building to Thunderstruck. I am hopeful that people will give it a chance.

Again, thank you for the note. I always welcome the feedback.

Brooks
Old 04-02-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Personality

Has anyone responded to any surveys either online or at the park specific to the opening intro? I would like to know where the results from their "research" are obtained. Also, who are these "fans" asking for this change? I give this upgrade an F-.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

I appreciate the role surveys can play in understanding your customer base and target market. But you also need to have a "feel" for that customer base- sometimes the Sox seem to have no real "feel" for their fan base- goes back decades.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English I’m going to sing it."
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

I just want the opening montage to feature bad-ass music. There are many bad-ass songs out there: the Pirates theme and Thunderstruck are just two of many good options.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
WSI Guru

Also it would be good to know how this particular question was asked in the survey. (Was it written or said in such a way to try to generate a response that would lean towards doing a particular thing?)

Plus how many fans are we talking about here? Hundreds? Thousands?? Or are the responses from a limited number of fans being extrapolated to form an overall opinion?

Lip
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
I don't mind that the montage was retired, but the new narrative one doesn't work. Hearing that over baked speech every game is going to get a little tiresome. Music over clips is all you need. I hate to keep bringing them up, but the Hawks new "I stand for.." Scoreboard video over fun's Some Nights works and they seem to change it up every so often.
+1

I don't mind that they want to change the "Pirates" opening, and I agree they should probably consider changing "Thunderstruck." I can listen to the argument that they have customers who may think, "wow, I haven't been here in 6 years and they haven't even updated the pregame video."

The "Pirates" video was really, really, well done. It's OK to do something different, but if you are going to change it, it needs to be better.

The problem isn't that it was changed, the problem is the new product isn't good.

And also- "Once you hear it, we think you'll like it?" Really? The video was planned for nights where the crowd is 18,000 and silent? You might want to put together something that fires everyone up ESPECIALLY when the park is full.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I loved that video. Seeing all of the great plays in white sox history was great. The Fisk double play, Thome's 500th, Frank Thomas with robin on his shoulders, etc. I sure will miss that...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

I guess I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to embrace 100+ years of history. As a charter member of the American League why wouldn't you want your young fans to ask questions about the greats in Sox history?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
WSI Personality

The Pirates montage better be back for the second game.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrechtel View Post
I guess I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to embrace 100+ years of history. As a charter member of the American League why wouldn't you want your young fans to ask questions about the greats in Sox history?
I always thought baseball was about history and records/statistics. Since the records/statistics have been bastardized, the sport is thriving in a very week economic time, so maybe history isnt as important as I thought it was. This is a ever changing world we all live in.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

I filled out multiple surveys online over the course of last season, and do not recall ever being asked about the opening video.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
I filled out multiple surveys online over the course of last season, and do not recall ever being asked about the opening video.
Same for me
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
I do not like the new intro so I did email Brooks to give my opinion, here is his reply:

Ed,

Thanks for the note.

I have received a few emails on this today. For some, they think that we have replaced a traditional video with a lip synced rock video, which is not the case. Others miss “Pirates”. As part of our research, it was clear that a lot of our fans wanted a fresh look at the open. We tried to continue with the tradition of showing memorable White Sox historical footage over building music and a powerful, inspirational message……building to Thunderstruck. I am hopeful that people will give it a chance.

Again, thank you for the note. I always welcome the feedback.

Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Barcelo View Post
Has anyone responded to any surveys either online or at the park specific to the opening intro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I appreciate the role surveys can play in understanding your customer base and target market. But you also need to have a "feel" for that customer base- sometimes the Sox seem to have no real "feel" for their fan base- goes back decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Also it would be good to know how this particular question was asked in the survey. (Was it written or said in such a way to try to generate a response that would lean towards doing a particular thing?)

Plus how many fans are we talking about here? Hundreds? Thousands?? Or are the responses from a limited number of fans being extrapolated to form an overall opinion?

Lip
There were surveys conducted last year and early this year about ticket prices and the fan experience. None of those surveys had any questions regarding the scoreboard montage. Furthermore, if there were secret surveys conducted over the winter (which nobody here or anywhere else has mentioned), I can't believe that the opening montage was of critical importance to anyone.

I know it's strong words to call someone a liar, but Sox fans (here, at least) are a fairly sharp group. "As part of our research, it was clear that a lot of our fans wanted a fresh look at the open. " I mean, I can't believe that's what he's saying. It's hard to take that kind of statement seriously. I've never heard anybody ANYBODY have anything negative to say about the opening montage.

This drips of Brooks assigning a pet project to one of the new kids just of out school to work on over the winter, similar to his giving a new fashion designer a job a couple of years ago to re-design the uniforms. She had a new road uniform set designed, but Reinsdorf said nixed. As a compromise, he allowed the sleeve patch to change. The road uniforms didn't need changing at all.

In the grand scheme of things, neither change is that important; yet, at the same time, neither thing was important enough to change in the first place. Of all the things the staff could be working on, changing the uniforms or the opening montage should be last on their list.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI Personality

I was there too. My thoughts...