White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
With the temp in the high 30s did anyone expect some kind of slugfest?
89 more 1-0 wins would be fine with me.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It's pretty laughable to say you don't believe in some kind of conspiracy agenda and then lay out borderline ridiculous conspiracy.

Did you expect anything else from him? It's April 2, and he's in mid-season form. In all seriousness, I don't know that there's a way to fix this issue, as the weather in Chicago in April will always be unpredictable. I suppose MLB could try scheduling more games in warm weather cities to avoid the cold, but those organizations will lose games from their schedule that may be useful to have during the summer, when their own attendance is likely to increase.

If US Cellular Field were a dome, there wouldn't be an issue. As it is, the Sox play in a colder part of the country, and that's not likely to change unless someone punches (another) hole in the ozone layer near the ballpark.

Having said all of that, I don't believe that the weather is the sole reason for poor attendance. The Sox need to focus on keeping fans interested and drawing news fan to the ballpark. They can accomplish that by putting a winning team on the field more than a few times each decade, and by not alienating fans with threats and ultimatums (if you don't show up, we won't spend). People don't want to hear that, and they're even less likely to spend money in response to it.

The other day, I read an article talking about leadership, and one of the examples listed illustrating bad leadership was someone in a supervisory position threatening his employees and customers via email, which resulted in several of the employees quitting and the customers taking their business elsewhere. I would have laughed except that the situation reminded me of how Reinsdorf has dealt with fans, media, and others throughout his time as the Sox principal owner. If he wants more people at games, he needs to stop utilizing the same, tired rhetoric we've been hearing for years.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
The other day, I read an article talking about leadership, and one of the examples listed illustrating bad leadership was someone in a supervisory position threatening his employees and customers via email, which resulted in several of the employees quitting and the customers taking their business elsewhere. I would have laughed except that the situation reminded me of how Reinsdorf has dealt with fans, media, and others throughout his time as the Sox principal owner. If he wants more people at games, he needs to stop utilizing the same, tired rhetoric we've been hearing for years.
They just have to win. Thinking people don't show up to games because of the "owner's rhetoric" is as absurd as thinking people in Chicago get chased away by temperatures in the 40s.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
WSI Regular

Temp didn't feel as bad as I thought it would but man this is easily the worst time I've ever had trying to get to the ballpark. I decided to get down in the area about 2pm because of the cold - didn't want to stand around in the park for 2 hours. Big mistake. Every lot was full. Took over an hour just to get back to a point I could cross back over to west of the Ryan and get street parked around 28th and Normal. Just horrific.

You'd think after three straight home openers I'd have learned my lesson, but no. Next year I will be down there 3 hours before the game. And I don't anyone that likes to tailgate or it wouldn't have been a problem.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
They just have to win. Thinking people don't show up to games because of the "owner's rhetoric" is as absurd as thinking people in Chicago don't show up to games because it's 40 degrees.
I agree. The problem is that people have developed the perception that Reinsdorf doesn't want to win because of his comments about money. Is that perception entirely accurate? No. Reinsdorf wants to win, but fans want to see results, not lip service. People are tired of seeing the Sox have one good season, followed by three or four mediocre seasons. When the Sox were winning consistently (2005 and early '06), they were drawing well. If they can get back to that level or close to it, attendance will improve.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They just have to win. Thinking people don't show up to games because of the "owner's rhetoric" is as absurd as thinking people in Chicago don't show up to games because it's 40 degrees.
I agree- but I think they can also be more aggressive with promotions for April/May games- I'd make all of April (excluding Opening Day) "Value Month"- all tickets 50% off, and I'd have fireworks for the Friday/Saturday nights- if you get a slight break in the weather- you could generate some nice walk up business.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Sox won't draw until June anyway and they have the majority of their May games on the road. Random fluke, IMO. No one wants home games in April except for the very best drawing teams and even they don't sell out those games due to weather and kids still being in school.

Yes, the Sox do not draw until Memorial Day weekend and the kids are out of school. Less home games in April means more home games in May that will not draw either. Also, anyone can say that some "individual" in the front office said this or that but if they do not name their source or have a quote it is basically useless information.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I dunno guys, I love getting amazing seats for dirt cheap in April

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Yes, the Sox do not draw until Memorial Day weekend and the kids are out of school. Less home games in April means more home games in May that will not draw either. Also, anyone can say that some "individual" in the front office said this or that but if they do not name their source or have a quote it is basically useless information.
To be fair, Lip has shared several of his emails with Brooks and other Sox officials in the past, so I know that he has some communication with them. Whether that communication happens as part of his job or by other means I don't know, but he's been kind enough to disclose some of things he's discussed with Sox brass.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI Guru

Wedema:

I've been around here since 2002, 11 years now... you know I'm not one to make stuff up and say things that don't have some facts behind them.

I'm not going to name my sources, period. You can take what I write at face value or dismiss it, your choice.

But I do get upset with the inference that I'm making things up for the hell of it. Don't confuse me with some other posters who have been banned for things like that.

All you have to do is read the over 50 interviews I've done for this site to know that I have access to individuals in the organization that do know what's going on....and I keep in touch with them regularly, both former players, former members of the front office and current ones via phone calls and e-mails.

If that isn't enough to convince you then there's nothing more I can say or will say for that matter.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI Guru

Just think of how dominating Chris Sale would be if he could just develop a knuckle curve.

Nice start to the season. You knew it was going to be a low-scoring game because of the weather. The Sox pitcher was better than the Kansas City pitcher. I'll take it.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Wedema:

I've been around here since 2002, 11 years now... you know I'm not one to make stuff up and say things that don't have some facts behind them.

I'm not going to name my sources, period. You can take what I write at face value or dismiss it, your choice.

But I do get upset with the inference that I'm making things up for the hell of it. Don't confuse me with some other posters who have been banned for things like that.

All you have to do is read the over 50 interviews I've done for this site to know that I have access to individuals in the organization that do know what's going on....and I keep in touch with them regularly, both former players, former members of the front office and current ones via phone calls and e-mails.

If that isn't enough to convince you then there's nothing more I can say or will say for that matter.

Lip
Lip: I think the point that many have made is that instaed of whining about it, the front office had plenty of time to react to it:

1. As previously mentioned, the Red Sox have 17 home dates in a city that has weather just as bad as Chicago. They have already slashed concession prices for April games
2. School is still in. Make that a positive. Do promotions that offers free student tics w adult tics. Offer promotions to schools that schedule bus trips to games.
3. Offer 2 for 1 to college students while they are still in the area.

In general these slouches in the front office need to look around what other teams do to promote fan interest. There are quite a few cities besides Chicago that experiences cold weather in April that don't have domes.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
WSI Personality

I recall a newspaper article a few years back bitching about how the Rangers had so many April home games - here where it actually is warm - because no matter what team you are, you're not gonna draw until school's out.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

Your reality at this point is more opinion and expectation than reality.
WHAT?! We scored one run. If anything, empirical evidence is supporting the case that this team will have trouble scoring runs. Making that assumption from one game is fool-hardy sure, but it's not opinion that this offense is expected to blow chunks. It would be opinion if you expected them to vastly outproduce history and projections.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Good point, what is more of a upgrade defensively: Gillaspie for Paul or Wise for Viciedo? Ill go with the later. But both would be ok if Gillaspie is good with the glove at 1st and I dont know that.
Agree there. I was also wondering why Wise wasn't brought in for Tank in the 9th. Wise has more range and is just better overall defensively. The only nod I would give to Tank would perhaps be in arm strength.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin