White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Voodoo:

I think the staff can be pretty good if they avoid injuries and Danks returns but one of the best in team history?

Short answer: no.

Let's not get carried away here.

Lip
There isn't a pundit that would make them best in the division for 2013. So best in the AL or MLB and best in team history is a pretty large stretch, all things considered. Heck, with his command the way it is, I'm not even sure John Danks will pitch this year.

But our pitching is pretty good. That's a plus.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
What is with your constant negativity? I understood it to a certain extent last September when everyone was frustrated as the Sox collapsed, but seriously? After a 1-0 opening day win?

Winning a single game is not reason to forget what's wrong about the organization.

Nor is it time to forget the reason the team is expected to have a down year is because of lack of offense, which was on display today.

Sale can't pitch shutouts everyday of the season.

We can celebrate, but it doesn't mean we're not cognizant of reality.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Voodoo:

I think the staff can be pretty good if they avoid injuries and Danks returns but one of the best in team history?

Short answer: no.

Let's not get carried away here.

Lip
Sale Peavy can stack 1-2 with any two from team history if they pitch up to potential. A healthy Danks is as good a 3 as we can hope for and Floyd and Quintana at 4-5 are simply nuts.

I also add in the bullpen is as deep and experienced as we've had in a long time.

This staff can be as good as the 2005 squad, IMO.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

This staff can be as good as the 2005 squad, IMO.
Perhaps...the big questions are Addison and Flowers. They produce I will be feeling quite comfy about our chances.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

I fear we are going to be involved in way too many of these 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 type of games.

Great to see Flowers be the one to win it. Somebody in that 6-9 group needs to produce.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

How many ABs before the first hit w/ RISP?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Winning a single game is not reason to forget what's wrong about the organization.

Nor is it time to forget the reason the team is expected to have a down year is because of lack of offense, which was on display today.

Sale can't pitch shutouts everyday of the season.

We can celebrate, but it doesn't mean we're not cognizant of reality.
Everything is amplified on opening day becaue it's all anyone has seen. But it's the only reality.

There is no reason to complain about a lack of offense when your team wins a 1-0 opening game any more than there was no reason to assume the White Sox would crush every team offensively after they scored 15 runs in the opener in Cleveland a couple of years ago. If you look back at the 2011 season, the most runs the White Sox scored in any game was the 15 they scored on opening day. If you look back at the the 2005 season, the pitiful offense on display in the 1-0 opening-day win really wasn't all that bad. At least it was good enough.

Today the Sox scored only one run, but they won, and deservedly so. The reality is that the White Sox played a great game against a team that has played them tough in recent years, a team that hit very well in spring exhibition games with players have hit Sale well in the past.

Your reality at this point is more opinion and expectation than reality.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 AM
WSI High Priest

I am curious why Gillaspie was brought in as a defense replacement for Paul in the 9th. How much has the guy played 1st? Is Paul hurt?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 AM
WSI High Priest

With the temp in the high 30s did anyone expect some kind of slugfest?
89 more 1-0 wins would be fine with me.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-02-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Got to hand it to MLB, the Sox franchise has lost fans six years straight...yet they schedule 16 home games in April for them. Amazing isn't it??? Talk about not being willing to help...and folks wonder why the Sox are pissed off at the schedule makers every year.

Just glad to get the win. I'll give them a mulligan today because it was so damn cold. If the Sox are still scoring one or two runs off this 'vaunted' Royals pitching staff in June (like they seemed to do a bunch last year) I'll be concerned.

You remember the last time the Sox opened the season with a 1-0 win don't you???

Lip
Yaaaaay conspiracy theories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
You do realize the Royals pitching staff is actually very good this year, right? And that James Shields is fantastic?
I'm pretty sure Lip has said in the past that he rarely, if ever, watches non-Sox MLB games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I am curious why Gillaspie was brought in as a defense replacement for Paul in the 9th. How much has the guy played 1st? Is Paul hurt?
Believe it or not, Paulie isn't a very good defender.

Great game. School gets out at 2:50, and we can leave at 3:20, so I was able to listen to the game on MLB and on my drive home. Got home at around the end of the third.

Chris. Sale.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Believe it or not, Paulie isn't a very good defender.
I'll grant you that he doesn't have much range, but I can't remember anything else that he's done at 1B to make him a bad defender. Not everyone can be Texeira. Or however he spells his name.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I'll grant you that he doesn't have much range, but I can't remember anything else that he's done at 1B to make him a bad defender. Not everyone can be Texeira. Or however he spells his name.
He makes some good plays, and is a little better than you might think considering his range...but range is really important. Most defensive metrics aren't too kind to him.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I know deep down inside my heart, this is a great start to a Playoff bound season. I'm convinced more and more that the White Sox are going to make a shambles of the Central Division in 2013. Who knows they might even go undefeated this year. We shall see.
Love your enthusiasm and positive energy! After a miserable Winter (most of which I spent sick), it was wonderful to have baseball back. The Sox are my favorite team so Opening Day feels like Christmas+MyBirthday to me. Nice win yesterday that featured great Sox pitching+defense+just-enough-hitting. I am looking forward to enjoying my health along with what will hopefully be an exciting Summer of White Sox baseball. GO SOX!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was just glad that baseball is back .. although i don't expect the Sox to fare to well this year, it doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying, every single game..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Despite the cold, I had more fun at this opener than any other I have attended. The team played well. However, and I know this is only one game, but Adam Dunn looked clueless up there. Looked more like 2011 than 2012.