Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Not going today, but as a veteran ass freezer-offer, I usually wear:

Winter coat
Sweatshirt
Tucked in t-shirt (can't have cold wind blowing up your back)
Gloves
earmuffs/hood (I usually wear a Sox cap so I don't use a winter hat)
jeans/regular socks, gym shoes, no long johns.

I got one of the worst sunburns of my life at a cold Sox game; so even though it's cold cover the face or wear sunscreen.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Wait, Vinny. You're not wearing a coat???
No, I have a controlled time-release packet of icy hot inside my skivvies. If I start to get cold I can just press my thighs together to generate some "core warmth".
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

This might be the coldest Sox home opener ever:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,0,56767.story

Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
Perspective is strange. A 39 degree Bears game would be no big deal.
Football is a cold weather sport. Baseball is a warm weather sport. You expect to be cold watching football. Not so much with baseball.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
WSI Personality

I went today, I didn't think it was too bad until the 7th inning.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Yeah. The wind started to pick up around that time, but I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I was. I didn't wear my gloves once when in my seat.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
It was fine in the sun. It got chilly in the 8th when the shadows moved in, but I was comfortable for most of the game. I dressed appropriately with the Under Armour both top and bottom, so perhaps that made a difference. Or maybe it was the bottomless hot chocolate.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM
WSI High Priest

We were in Sec. 531 and shaded the entire time. With the wind out of the northwest, I figured it'd be at our backs; not so much. I was cold five minutes after I sat in my seat; tube socks, crew socks, winter boots, jeans, a thermal shirt, fleece, a winter coat, gloves and a scarf weren't enough for this warm weather girl. It took nearly an hour for the feeling to come back in my toes and nose. We're going again on Saturday and since there'll only be about 19 other people at the ballpark with us, there's going to be some migration into the sun for sure!

That hot chocolate sure looked good, but I couldn't justify $7 for what was probably more like tepid chocolate. But I sure do love the travel mug it comes in!
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
We were in Sec. 531 and shaded the entire time. With the wind out of the northwest, I figured it'd be at our backs; not so much. I was cold five minutes after I sat in my seat; tube socks, crew socks, winter boots, jeans, a thermal shirt, fleece, a winter coat, gloves and a scarf weren't enough for this warm weather girl. It took nearly an hour for the feeling to come back in my toes and nose. We're going again on Saturday and since there'll only be about 19 other people at the ballpark with us, there's going to be some migration into the sun for sure!

That hot chocolate sure looked good, but I couldn't justify $7 for what was probably more like tepid chocolate. But I sure do love the travel mug it comes in!
We had the opposite experience, sitting in Section 158 behind the Sox bullpen in the sun all day. A splendid time was had by all as we enjoyed old Sol's radiant warmth.

The remarkable thing was the length of the lines outside the men's rooms. I've been going to games for what seems like a thousand years and don't remember having to wait that long to do what needed to be done. Missed a full inning waiting in the anxious queue as I craned my neck looking toward the field or for a TV screen. Fortunately nobody scored while I was indisposed.

But how about that Chris Sale? I'd say he's a keeper.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post

I have somewhat poor circulation in my hands and feet, and therefore a low tolerance for cold temps - for me, wool socks make a big difference in cold weather, much better than two or three pairs of cotton socks. Maybe even wool socks on your hands!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
MMXXIII

I couldn't get to the park today, but I did notice it was a warm sun downtown; I chalked it up to the eternal optimism of Opening Day. Warmest upper-30s day ever!

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

We had the same experience as Tebman in Sec. 154. As long as the sun was out it was fine (and it was out the majority of the day). Men's room lines were ridiculous and there were definitely a ****load of people who attempted to drink their way into warmth.

Incidentally, while queued up inside the men's room, the voice from the radio broadcast I was hearing didn't sound like either Farmer or DJ. Would the Sox have piped in audio from KC's crew?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
We had the opposite experience, sitting in Section 158 behind the Sox bullpen in the sun all day. A splendid time was had by all as we enjoyed old Sol's radiant warmth.

The remarkable thing was the length of the lines outside the men's rooms. I've been going to games for what seems like a thousand years and don't remember having to wait that long to do what needed to be done. Missed a full inning waiting in the anxious queue as I craned my neck looking toward the field or for a TV screen. Fortunately nobody scored while I was indisposed.

The mens rooms are always like that on opening day. Saw a guy piss himself once waiting to get in. Luckily last year (when it seemed everybody in the park was on that concourse) I had a stadium club pass and tended to business up there.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I couldn't get to the park today, but I did notice it was a warm sun downtown; I chalked it up to the eternal optimism of Opening Day. Warmest upper-30s day ever!

I agree doub. I missed the game myself (first time in forever I haven't gone to the opener), but as I left work early it seemed pretty damn nice outside. When I'm there tomorrow though, I'll feel cold even though it's supposed to be a warmer day.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post

Agreed. As STH in Section 158, it was great sitting in the sun and the only time I was really cold was those times the sun would go behind the clouds. I dressed warm enough expecting no sun at all but thankfully, I've had much colder experiences at USCF - especially most of April 2011. In that regard, I think we lucked out yesterday.

The bathroom scene was a mess (pardon the pun) but I've come to expect that on Opening Day. I ended up using the port-a-johns on the Gate 6 ramp (near 154/155)

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs