White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Bo made the second best throw from the outfield that i ever saw .. i can't recall any details, only that he formed his hand like a gun and made the motion of holstering it like a gunslinger ..
Who made the best throw?

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Bo's White Sox career was marked more by special moments than gaudy numbers. He had his hip reconstructed and made it all the way back to play pro baseball again when most doctors told him he was done, so just putting that White Sox uniform on was an accomplishment. During his rehab, his mother passed away and he promised that he would hit a HR for her when he made it back. Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom. Bo's best White Sox moment came in the 1993 AL West clincher game when he hit a towering rainbow home run at New Comiskey sending the crowd into a frenzy. I still remember the classic Sun Times headline the next day: "The Crowing Bo-ment". Hitting a HR to clinch a division title gives him pretty good ties to the organization, no?
His HR was great, but it wasn't that huge. The Sox won the division by 8 games. If he didn't hit the homer and lost that night, they probably would have clinched some other night.

I'm not going to boo or protest this assignment, and as I have stated, I like Bo. I just think Bo's status as a White Sox is overstated.

If he wasn't the media and athletic sensation he was before he came to the Sox and accomplished the exact same things as he accomplished in a White Sox uniform, there wouldn't have been as big of a deal made about every little thing he did in a White Sox uniform. You may even hear griping about his hitless playoffs with a bunch of strikeouts when he actually popped off the Sox were playing a bat short when he was out of the line up.

Maybe they can get another White Sox legend, Ken Griffey Jr., to throw out the first pitch in 2014.

Bo should be known as a Royal and a Raider and an Auburn Tiger. His legendary status with those teams is well deserved. His legendary status with the White Sox is just a by product of his earlier success.

Last edited by dickallen15; 03-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI Prelate

That'll be nice. Haven't seen him in person since the '03 Celebrity/Legends Softball Game.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
His HR was great, but it wasn't that huge. The Sox won the division by 8 games. If he didn't hit the homer and lost that night, they probably would have clinched some other night.

I'm not going to boo or protest this assignment, and as I have stated, I like Bo. I just think Bo's status as a White Sox is overstated.

If he wasn't the media and athletic sensation he was before he came to the Sox and accomplished the exact same things as he accomplished in a White Sox uniform, there wouldn't have been as big of a deal made about every little thing he did in a White Sox uniform. You may even hear griping about his hitless playoffs with a bunch of strikeouts when he actually popped off the Sox were playing a bat short when he was out of the line up.

Maybe they can get another White Sox legend, Ken Griffey Jr., to throw out the first pitch in 2014.

Bo should be known as a Royal and a Raider and an Auburn Tiger. His legendary status with those teams is well deserved. His legendary status with the White Sox is just a by product of his earlier success.
What team should Common be associated with?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
What team should Common be associated with?
He is a Chicagoan. A big star from Chicago.

People can love Bo all they want. The fact is he had about 350 AB as a White Sox, and wasn't very good, and I know he had an artificial hip, yet he's embraced as some sort of White Sox royalty.

Bo went to the Angels after the Sox, and actually performed a bit better. Do they make a big deal out of him?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Bo lives in the suburbs if it means that much to anyone. His sister is a high school teacher in the south suburbs. I really don't think it really matters as to what extent his ties are to the city other than he did something significant for the organization.

His short time here is very memorable for me as it was in my teen years and I witnessed that game winner.

Maybe next year they'll give the first pitch out to Craig Grebeck? A long time Chicago White Sox.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think only Sox fans could care this much about who throws out an absolutely meaningless ceremonial pitch.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Who made the best throw?
Best throw was from Bill Sharp, I think either RF or CF, he fired a strike from deep in outfield to cut down runner at plate and save the game, 2 outs in the ninth. I think this was 1973 or 74. Harry Caray almost fell out of the booth with enthusiasm over that display of pitching speed and defense which wins games. Remember that one?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bo's White Sox connection is puzzling. Danny Tartabull put up better numbers as a White Sox. I like Bo. I just don't think his White Sox career warrants throwing out the first pitch on opening day.
WHAT? His staring role in the Saturday morning cartoon "Pro Stars" in itself is enough to warrant this!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Downplay that HR if you want but it was a memorable night for the team and for Bo Jackson. Also, I don't think Sox fans view him as "royalty" as you put it. I think he is just a fondly remembered player from a pretty darn fun era of White Sox baseball. I'm sure his significance as an insanely popular two sport athlete helped endear himself to the fans in Chicago as well but there is little beyond that. I don't think Sox fans are calling for his number to be retired or a statue to be built.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I think only Sox fans could care this much about who throws out an absolutely meaningless ceremonial pitch.
It's the dog days of Spring Training. Should we debate who wins the Cactus League MVP?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Best throw was from Bill Sharp, I think either RF or CF, he fired a strike from deep in outfield to cut down runner at plate and save the game, 2 outs in the ninth. I think this was 1973 or 74. Harry Caray almost fell out of the booth with enthusiasm over that display of pitching speed and defense which wins games. Remember that one?
This one?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Bo made the second best throw from the outfield that i ever saw .. i can't recall any details, only that he formed his hand like a gun and made the motion of holstering it like a gunslinger ..
It was against the Mariners and Harold Reynolds, from the warning track on the fly to home plate. Footage is kind of shoddy as the camera cut away to Reynolds rounding third, but it's at the end of this highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX82AEh7CrQ
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Bo's White Sox connection is puzzling. Danny Tartabull put up better numbers as a White Sox. I like Bo. I just don't think his White Sox career warrants throwing out the first pitch on opening day.
Shoeless Joe Jackson wasn't available, so they had to go with Bo.

Anyway, how many home runs did Tartabull hit on his first at bat after getting a new body part?

All hail The Rick
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom.
That home run landed seven rows directly in front of me. If you ever see a clip of it, look for a guy in a brown jacket with a red Sox hat on standing on his seat and then turning to his right to high five his buddies. That's me.

What were we saying while celebrating? "We're in the commercial!" We thought it would be a lock for a Nike commercial.