White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

I heard on B&B this might be a deal where it takes 1-2 full years for Danks to regain his strength.

I think the Sox should really take a step back and decide what's going to happen with this team. Danks doesn't really change the outlook that much - but overall just look at the team.

I see about 9 guys on this list that I would expect to be gone in 2 years. Either retired, traded for prospects, or lost via free agency.

Of the top 8 money makers on this team I see about 4 who are somewhat worth the money. That's a tough list to look at. The bright spot is the 6 guys at the bottom.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI Guru

Danks gave up 4 HRs to Sox minor leaguers in a game today.

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/statu...03464288948225
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

Who could the Sox sign as a 5th starter? One possible candidate is Jon Garland, as Seattle is not prepared to give him a starting slot and Garland apparently will opt out of his contract with the Mariners.

Any thoughts?
Well that's out of the question since he just signed with the Rockies.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
If Danks and Crain are both starting the season on the DL, then perhaps the Sox should put both Axelrod and Santiago in the bullpen and sign a pitcher to be the 5th starter until Danks increases his arm strength and is ready to start. Santiago can provide the Sox with long relief and Axelrod could cover some of the relief innings that Crain would normally pitch.

Who could the Sox sign as a 5th starter? One possible candidate is Jon Garland, as Seattle is not prepared to give him a starting slot and Garland apparently will opt out of his contract with the Mariners.

Any thoughts?
Freddy Garcia was recently released by the Padres. I know his stuff these days is similar to what Axelrod brings to the table but Freddy does have a lot of experience and knows how to pitch. What I would really like to see is Hahn target one of the surplus starting pitchers the Dodgers are carrying around. They have eight starters in camp and right now it looks like Ted Lilly, Aaron Harang, and Chris Capuano do not have a spot in their rotation. Any one of those three would likely be an upgrade over Axelrod.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Leyson Septimo is also going on the DL.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
WSI Guru

Don't ever like to see a guy get hurt, but I'm just glad he won't be pitching for the Sox. He's flat awful.

I've been told the only person in the organization who still thinks highly of him is Cooper because he throws 95.

Lot of guys throw 95 but it doesn't matter if guys zero in on it and blister it all over the park.

Lip
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
Leyson Septimo is also going on the DL.
Just buying time before they have to let him go. He's out of options.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
WSI Personality

Default John Danks

It looks like the Danks signing could turn out to be one of the worse signings by Ken Williams. If they would of used that money signing Mark Buehrle, the White Sox would of probably been in the 2012 Playoffs. With Buehrle on the 2013 White Sox we would probably be the favorites to get into the 2013 Playoffs also. Unless somebody steps up, we need a 5th starter this year. The only way we're going to beat the Tigers is with superior pitching.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
It looks like the Danks signing could turn out to be one of the worse signings by Ken Williams. If they would of used that money signing Mark Buehrle, the White Sox would of probably been in the 2012 Playoffs. With Buehrle on the 2013 White Sox we would probably be the favorites to get into the 2013 Playoffs also. Unless somebody steps up, we need a 5th starter this year. The only way we're going to beat the Tigers is with superior pitching.
No we wouldn't. Would have a decent chance to take a wild card spot? Sure. But we would not be favorites to do that over the #2 from the West or anyone in the East.

And if hindsight is 20/20, we paid Jake Peavy just about as much as Danks' entire contract to sit on the DL his first few years with the team.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post

There was no way to predict this injury at all...no risk factors, no history, ect. It was just bad luck. When GM's sign players who have a history of performing bad or getting injured then I think they can be called out for bad signings.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Scott Merkin
Danks was sitting at 87 velocity-wise so yesterday's start represented a move forward

Daryl Van Schouwen

Danks' velocity in yesterday's outing sat about 87 mph, Ventura said. Touched 89. So that's an improvement, at least.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Daryl Van Schouwen
Danks' velocity in yesterday's outing sat about 87 mph, Ventura said. Touched 89. So that's an improvement, at least.
He averaged 90 on the 4 seamer last year and 92 in '10 and '11, so it looks like he's close to where he was last year.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
He averaged 90 on the 4 seamer last year and 92 in '10 and '11, so it looks like he's close to where he was last year.
Velocity wise. The big issue coming back is going to be command.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
This Danks contract has a chance to be as epic a disaster as Jaime Navarro was (one of the other only times JR opened the wallet on long term money to for a SP).

The only chance I gave the Sox this year was with solid SP from 1-2-3. Danks would have been part of that plan.

Not good.
Yep. I hated that contract when they gave it to him, making gazillionaires of barely average pitchers seems to be a bad policy on the part of any team besides the Dodgers or Yankees, Red Sox, etc. Seemed to be an overreaction to Buerhle leaving. Hopefully, Danks can come back and pitch decently , and if they are not in contention, they can unload him to one of the high payroll suckers.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
There was no way to predict this injury at all...no risk factors, no history, ect. It was just bad luck. When GM's sign players who have a history of performing bad or getting injured then I think they can be called out for bad signings.
I agree about the luck part but I do not see where a pitcher barely above average in any regard commands that kind of contract. It was an overreaction to Buerhle leaving in my opinion. Sabermetrics and WAR might disagree with that statement, and I do like those things as useful baseball tools, but I thought it was a bad gamble at the start. Never thought Danks was anything special.