White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox and O's should both say "screw you, we were here first" to the NFL.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Guru

Spivak:

It's a **** you to the O's because in 2008 they refused to come back to Chicago to play the suspended game and the Sox had to finish it there. Much like the Rangers did it to the Sox in August 1990. And you had the Royals refusing to cancel an obvious game that should never have been started in 2010, forcing the Sox to play. It went one inning was postponed and they had to play a DH the next day which taxed the Sox staff.

It's time the Sox stopped being someone else's whipping boy and started asserting their rights.

Lip
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Spivak:

It's a **** you to the O's because in 2008 they refused to come back to Chicago to play the suspended game and the Sox had to finish it there. Much like the Rangers did it to the Sox in August 1990. And you had the Royals refusing to cancel an obvious game that should never have been started in 2010, forcing the Sox to play. It went one inning was postponed and they had to play a DH the next day which taxed the Sox staff.

It's time the Sox stopped being someone else's whipping boy and started asserting their rights.

Lip
On a team's last trip to a particular city, the call is strictly the umpires. Joe West is to blame for that one. He was flat out told there was no way the game could be played, but he started it anyway.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

Reschedule it for July 1st and the Sox get to add a home game!

I mean it could work as it is the Monday before the O's and Sox 3 game series at the Comiskey and both teams already have the day off. June 30th is a Sunday and day games for both teams. However, the O's losing that off day would lead to a string of 24 straight games to end the first half. Not likely obviously, but something has to give...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

This is good...

http://wnst.net/top-story/crabs-n-be...n-the-orioles/

The more I read about this, I hope the O's/Sox/MLB just stand firm and not change the game time.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Orioles released a statement saying the time of the game will not be changed.

Good.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Orioles released a statement saying the time of the game will not be changed.

Good.
From the Baldimoor Sun...

Ravens to open the season on the road.

Awesome.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeneghini1433 View Post
No, the game was a home game in April and they finished it while on a road trip to Baltimore in September. April 28, 2008.

That was a ****ed up game. Wasn't pouring, but the game started like 2 hours late. When it did start, the rain was coming down at the same pace as it had been the entire day. Start it on time and maybe the field holds up (though IIRC it was the infield that finally became unplayable).
Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Wasn't there some snafu in Minny a few years back? Sox game wound up not being on tv because of a college football game?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Wasn't there some snafu in Minny a few years back? Sox game wound up not being on tv because of a college football game?
I want to say that happened a couple times in Minneapolis in September, and involved the TV rights Fox had to early saturday games, as well as having to start a game at 11am because the Gophers football team was playing not long after the baseball game was scheduled to end.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
WSI Personality

I might be the only one who feels this way, but I don't like this at all. The Ravens just won the Super Bowl and earned the right to open the NFL season at home, which is a tradition reserved for the champions. Its not like this happens all the time.

If i'm the Orioles, I work something out with them even though I have the right to play at that time. Maybe it's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's the classy thing to do. A regular season game is obviously not as significant as the ring ceremony and everything it would represent for the Ravens, and I would hope that if the roles were ever reversed I would get the same treatment.

**Edit** I just read that article. It looks like the Orioles genuinley tried to accomodate the Ravens and it just didnt work. I retract my statement
Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI Guru

With the Ravens traveling instead of hosting a game, the opener that night might be at... Soldier Field.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7762626.story
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
With the Ravens traveling instead of hosting a game, the opener that night might be at... Soldier Field.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7762626.story
Yeah, I could see Roger Goodell doing that in response to the Orioles/Sox situation.

I'll still watch the Sox.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
The O's can simply forfeit the game to us.
That was my reflex reaction as well.

It looks like the Orioles had the game scheduled before the NFL decided they needed the parking lot that night. It would seem it is up to the NFL to play the game in a stadium adjacent to an available parking lot or play it at a time when the parking lot is available.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That was my reflex reaction as well.

It looks like the Orioles had the game scheduled before the NFL decided they needed the parking lot that night. It would seem it is up to the NFL to play the game in a stadium adjacent to an available parking lot or play it at a time when the parking lot is available.
There is no practical way the two stadiums could host events at the same time. The NFL simply dropped the ball here. I don't blame MLB one bit for not budging.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell