White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
WSI Guru

Default Danks To Start Season On DL

Story forthcoming, per Scott Merkin:

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/stat...13439718518784
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned

Why Axelrod, when there are two guys ahead of him on the depth chart that are a lot better?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Why Axelrod, when there are two guys ahead of him on the depth chart that are a lot better?
Who would that be? The only one I can think of is Santiago. Is he stretched out?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Who would that be? The only one I can think of is Santiago. Is he stretched out?
Well, I'm including Quintana, since he and Santiago are battling for that 5th starter role. I don't understand why you wouldn't start those two since it's a complete unknown when Danks will be able to be back and effective.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Well, I'm including Quintana, since he and Santiago are battling for that 5th starter role. I don't understand why you wouldn't start those two since it's a complete unknown when Danks will be able to be back and effective.
Oh, I was assuming Quintana was the 5th guy in the rotation with Danks healthy. With Danks on the DL, I was thinking Quintana gets bumped up to #4, and Axelrod/Santiago/whomever battles it out for the fifth slot.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
A few people, including Cooper if I recall correctly (I could be wrong), have said that it is and has been Quintana's job to lose. He's pitched to a 1.35 ERA this spring, so I don't forsee that changing.

Axelrod has been good thus far as well. Santiago has had some control issues, although I don't know how much that pertains to consistently working on breaking stuff.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
A few people, including Cooper if I recall correctly (I could be wrong), have said that it is and has been Quintana's job to lose. He's pitched to a 1.35 ERA this spring, so I don't forsee that changing.

Axelrod has been good thus far as well. Santiago has had some control issues, although I don't know how much that pertains to consistently working on breaking stuff.
I guess my biggest issue is the extensive talent gap between the two. I know in limited numbers Axelrod's had some success, but I really don't see him sticking on a major league roster with what he brings.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I guess my biggest issue is the extensive talent gap between the two. I know in limited numbers Axelrod's had some success, but I really don't see him sticking on a major league roster with what he brings.
If they thought it was going to be an extended period of time, I'm sure it would be Santiago. Since it's gonna be Axelrod, I suspect that they think it won't be for long.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not surprising, but this adds to my already less than positive feeling for the year.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
WSI Prelate

This Danks contract has a chance to be as epic a disaster as Jaime Navarro was (one of the other only times JR opened the wallet on long term money to for a SP).

The only chance I gave the Sox this year was with solid SP from 1-2-3. Danks would have been part of that plan.

Not good.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
If they thought it was going to be an extended period of time, I'm sure it would be Santiago. Since it's gonna be Axelrod, I suspect that they think it won't be for long.
I hope you're right. I never get that concept though. He's the long man for a reason. You should be able to stretch him out over the course of one outing to get him acclimated to starting. Otherwise, what are we doing with him? Shouldn't we be preparing Santiago for the possibility of a starting role? He's next in line if any of five guys go down long term.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
This Danks contract has a chance to be as epic a disaster as Jaime Navarro was (one of the other only times JR opened the wallet on long term money to for a SP).

The only chance I gave the Sox this year was with solid SP from 1-2-3. Danks would have been part of that plan.

Not good.
From a throwing pitches perspective, he hasn't looked all that great. I don't know how realistic that ever was. Danks' injury is something that's easy to come back from, but it takes a long time. Usually pitchers aren't back to the same level of effectiveness until between 12 and 18 months after surgery.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes

Robin Ventura said reason John Danks will start season on DL is not enough velo yet, difference between FB and changeup.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I hope you're right. I never get that concept though. He's the long man for a reason. You should be able to stretch him out over the course of one outing to get him acclimated to starting. Otherwise, what are we doing with him? Shouldn't we be preparing Santiago for the possibility of a starting role? He's next in line if any of five guys go down long term.
I'm not saying that it is what I would do, I'm just saying it is probably indicative of what they are thinking.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

Not good.
Well, the difference is that Danks wound up getting hurt. Navarro was just bad.

Go Sox!!!