White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I just don't see it as an untapped resource. I would venture a guess that the Cubs attendance as it has been since 1984 is made up of a lot of suburbanites who come into the city for games, as well as a huge number of tourists who flock to Wrigley Field. There is no magical untapped suburban market out there; there is a good reason why pretty much every team who has built a new ballpark in the last 25 years has done so in a city center location.
I know a lot of suburbanites that follow the Cubs religiously but only go to 1-2 games a year because they don't want to drive into the city and deal with parking.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I know a lot of suburbanites that follow the Cubs religiously but only go to 1-2 games a year because they don't want to drive into the city and deal with parking.
That's nice. I'm sure the number of people for whom that is the case are dwarfed by the number of tourists who flock to Chicago every year to see Wrigley Field, as well as the number of permanently drunk bros who live within walking distance of the park and attend who knows how many games each season.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That's nice. I'm sure the number of people for whom that is the case are dwarfed by the number of tourists who flock to Chicago every year to see Wrigley Field, as well as the number of permanently drunk bros who live within walking distance of the park and attend who knows how many games each season.
You're right, clearly there are more bros living in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville then there are families in suburban Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
You're right, clearly there are more bros living in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville then there are families in suburban Chicago.
That's not what I said. I said combining that crowd with the number of tourists who flock to Wrigley Field each season greatly outweighs the families who would probably go to no more than a handful of games each season.

If suburban families were a huge untapped market waiting to be exploited, why has pretty much every new ballpark in the last 25 years been built in a city center?
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,338
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
You're right, clearly there are more bros living in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville then there are families in suburban Chicago.
Well first, yes, if you were to do a head count of people within a reasonable distance of a fixed point, a count centered on Wrigley Field would probably have a higher number than any point in Rosemont, any other suburb, or probably just about any place in the country between New York and San Francisco.

Second, you're convienently lopping off the tourist draw, which is the golden goose in this conversation. The Sox built a park that in every way caters to the suburban crowd; more central location, right next to a 16-lane superhighway, within walking distance of 3 train lines, all of which are closer to downtown than the trek up the Red Line to Wrigley... and the Cubs trounce us in attendance nowadays because of the Wrigley Field factor. It's a pretty sizable gamble to roll the dice on losing a cash cow tourist trap in favor of the traditionally fickle suburban family demographic.

And third, any sensible person can read the writing on the wall... Poverty in the suburbs (especially the inner ring suburbs like, say, Rosemont and its immediate neighbors) is increasing while population has been falling, fuel costs are increasing, people are driving less, etc... Even if you remove the whole "Shrine" element that they'd be throwing away, this would be a catastrophically short-sighted move that would go down as one of the worst in professional sports history.
__________________

Last edited by doublem23; 03-20-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well first, yes, if you were to do a head count of people within a reasonable distance of a fixed point, a count centered on Wrigley Field would probably have a higher number than any point in Rosemont, any other suburb, or probably just about any place in the country between New York and San Francisco.

Second, you're convienently lopping off the tourist draw, which is the golden goose in this conversation. The Sox built a park that in every way caters to the suburban crowd; more central location, right next to a 16-lane superhighway, within walking distance of 3 train lines, all of which are closer to downtown than the trek up the Red Line to Wrigley... and the Cubs trounce us in attendance nowadays because of the Wrigley Field factor. It's a pretty sizable gamble to roll the dice on losing a cash cow tourist trap in favor of the traditionally fickle suburban family demographic.

And third, any sensible person can read the writing on the wall... Poverty in the suburbs (especially the inner ring suburbs like, say, Rosemont and its immediate neighbors) is increasing while population has been falling, fuel costs are increasing, people are driving less, etc... Even if you remove the whole "Shrine" element that they'd be throwing away, this would be a catastrophically short-sighted move that would go down as one of the worst in professional sports history.
I'm not suggesting that it would make financial sense to move to the suburbs at all, just that I think people are discounting the amount of people that would prefer the ballpark not be in the city as a minor number. Also, if you are going to mention poverty in the suburbs, the city hasn't exactly been doing all that well the past few years either.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,338
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I'm not suggesting that it would make financial sense to move to the suburbs at all, just that I think people are discounting the amount of people that would prefer the ballpark not be in the city as a minor number. Also, if you are going to mention poverty in the suburbs, the city hasn't exactly been doing all that well the past few years either.
It is a minor number, though, compared to what you lose. Nobody in their right mind is trying to build anything to appeal solely to Mr. and Mrs. Suburb and their 2.5 kids; for the same reason that many companies in the area have abandoned their suburban office parks to move back downtown; I'm not saying the city or the burbs are better or worse for day-to-day living, that's all personal preference, of course, I'm just saying, if you're object is to try to attract 3 million people to a specific location over the course of several months, limiting the overall accessibility of your location by moving it 20 miles away from the center of this very centrally-focused transporation infrastructure would be simply foolish.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
C-Dawg C-Dawg is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Glen Ellyn, IL
Posts: 2,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I know a lot of suburbanites that follow the Cubs religiously but only go to 1-2 games a year because they don't want to drive into the city and deal with parking.
Maybe the Cubs could hit the storied 4-million mark if they'd just move to the suburbs!
__________________
CHICAGO BEARS
Super Bowl XLVII Feb. 3, 2013
CHAMPIONS
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Frontman Frontman is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 6,667
Default

I do love how some of the Cubs faithful in the Chicago media basically say, "Don't they get that its the area around the park, the bars, walking to the train, that's what the fans go to see/experience?"

Yeah, we get it. Team=secondary concern. Ricketts better wake up and realize he's bought a money pit. Might make money for May/June; but unless he really puts a strong winning team together, that ballpark is going to be half empty after July 1.
__________________
The Frontman Family, including a growing Future Manager of the Chicago White Sox, circa 2045.

Breast Cancer Awareness doesn't end on Oct. 31st. Folks, get educated on it and get involved. Ladies, please get tested. For more info, visit www.komen.org.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
We'll keep political angles out of this, of course, but the Sun-Times is reporting that Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) is proposing Wrigley Field's hand-operated scoreboard be replaced by a video scoreboard. IIRC, that scoreboard was installed by Bill Veeck in 1937.

Link
That's another bad idea for the Cubs. The "Wrigley Field experience" includes the hand operated scoreboard and the ivy on the walls. It would be like Fenway removing the green monster.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That's another bad idea for the Cubs. The "Wrigley Field experience" includes the hand operated scoreboard and the ivy on the walls. It would be like Fenway removing the green monster.
They've already dropped the idea.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 AM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
They've already dropped the idea.
That was quick. Maybe that particular idea was just by Tunney and rooftop owners, though, as has been said.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Viva Medias B's Viva Medias B's is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palos Park, IL
Posts: 12,874
Default

Last night on WTTW's "Chicago Tonight," Rosemont Mayor Brad Stevens was interviewed by Carol Marin on this matter.

Link
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Just because it hasn't been brought out for a while:

:
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,508
Default

Lordy, the Tribune is beating this angle to death. Who says they still don't have a vested interest in the Cubbies? Chances of the Cubbies going to Rosemont are slim and none and Slim just left by the side door.


Mod edit to remove political statement.
__________________
Better watch out,
Better not cry,
Better not pout,
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is dead.
---Smothers Brothers
Aw, Merry Christmas anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.