White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Apples/oranges.

And it didn't replace a "shrine." Tourists didn't go to Milwaukee just to see County Stadium.
My point is that there are different fans out there in the huge metro area of Chicago, than just the tourists that currently visit a shrine now. A suburban location may be able to attract this currently untapped resource.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
My point is that there are different fans out there in the huge metro area of Chicago, than just the tourists that currently visit a shrine now. A suburban location may be able to attract this currently untapped resource.
I just don't see it as an untapped resource. I would venture a guess that the Cubs attendance as it has been since 1984 is made up of a lot of suburbanites who come into the city for games, as well as a huge number of tourists who flock to Wrigley Field. There is no magical untapped suburban market out there; there is a good reason why pretty much every team who has built a new ballpark in the last 25 years has done so in a city center location.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I just don't see it as an untapped resource. I would venture a guess that the Cubs attendance as it has been since 1984 is made up of a lot of suburbanites who come into the city for games, as well as a huge number of tourists who flock to Wrigley Field. There is no magical untapped suburban market out there; there is a good reason why pretty much every team who has built a new ballpark in the last 25 years has done so in a city center location.

I still think there is that now hidden fan base. Suburbanites may come to see the cubs a few games a year but I can see these same people going to 10 games if it was in a suburb where you drive, park and get back home easy. Believe it or not, a lot of suburbanites dont like going in the city.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I still think there is that now hidden fan base. Suburbanites may come to see the cubs a few games a year but I can see these same people going to 10 games if it was in a suburb where you drive, park and get back home easy. Believe it or not, a lot of suburbanites dont like going in the city.
This particular location offers neither of the latter two. Getting there for weekday night games would be a nightmare as rush hour is awful on both the tollway and the Kennedy, let alone if there is any other event in Rosemont near there. And there is no room there to have enough parking.

Also, they still would be out all of the tourists who currently flock to Wrigley Field because it is Wrigley Field. I would venture a guess that the number of tourists to Wrigley Field could be as much as a million fans per season; as well as the number of young city dwellers who live near the park and like to party and socialize there.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
This particular location offers neither of the latter two. Getting there for weekday night games would be a nightmare as rush hour is awful on both the tollway and the Kennedy, let alone if there is any other event in Rosemont near there. And there is no room there to have enough parking.

Also, they still would be out all of the tourists who currently flock to Wrigley Field because it is Wrigley Field. I would venture a guess that the number of that could be as much as a million fans per season.

Tollroad (294 and 90) is not really that bad till you hit the kennedy. Going out of the city is bad though. As I said before I dont know about the land available for parking.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Tollroad (294 and 90) is not really that bad till you hit the kennedy. Going out of the city is bad though. As I said before I dont know about the land available for parking.
294 Going S or N? Thankfully I don't have to deal with it that often.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm going to guess you have never taken the Blue Line from downtown to Rosemont or vice versa. It is brutal.
I take the blue line from Rosemont to get to Sox games every year, so yes, I do know what it's like.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Tree Hate Me Tree Hate Me is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lommmmmbarrrrrd
Posts: 64
Default

The Blue Line from downtown to Rosemont takes anywhere from 45-60 minutes depending on where you board in the Loop and at what time (at 5:00pm you might have to wait a bit just to squeeze into a jam packed car, especially if you get on at Clark & Lake) . The slow zones of the past are pretty much gone.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
This particular location offers neither of the latter two. Getting there for weekday night games would be a nightmare as rush hour is awful on both the tollway and the Kennedy, let alone if there is any other event in Rosemont near there. And there is no room there to have enough parking.

Also, they still would be out all of the tourists who currently flock to Wrigley Field because it is Wrigley Field. I would venture a guess that the number of tourists to Wrigley Field could be as much as a million fans per season; as well as the number of young city dwellers who live near the park and like to party and socialize there.
It's amazing people go to Sox games then since this can also be used to describe the experience of getting to a Sox game by car.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
It's amazing people go to Sox games then since this can also be used to describe the experience of getting to a Sox game by car.
Sox fans have public transportation alternatives, plus there isn't as much of a reverse commute to deal with on the Dan Ryan that I know as on the Kennedy.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
294 Going S or N? Thankfully I don't have to deal with it that often.
Neither are too bad till you try to get on the kennedy.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
It would not be difficult to access that area by car. If a stadium was built there then there would most likely be construction done to provide easier access. But even now it's not that difficult to drive to that area. Parking is a concern, as well as the airport because there would be planes flying overhead all the time.

I don't think it's really that bad of a location. The blue line is right there so there could easily be shuttles set up to take people to and from the park. The casino is just down River Rd, the new outlet mall is opening soon, that whole area could become Wrigley North. It's not some barren wasteland that some of you city folk are making it out to be.

The only thing we all seem to agree on is that the Cubs might lose some attendance due to no longer having Wrigley Field to promote. Sure, they may lose some tourists but we all know a new stadium is always going to attract people. If they were to actually become competitive around the same time a new stadium is ready to open that impact will be felt for years. But the Ricketts need to decide what direction they want to go in with the club. Is Wrigley Field more important than the product on the field? Is Wrigley Field worth maintaining over the next 10, 20, 30 years? The Cubs are a brand name and losing Wrigley would definitely be a PR hit, but it's also something I think they can overcome.
From a management perspective? Yes. The Cubs lost 101 games last year and still drew 2.8 million fans. If Wrigley Field is removed from the equation, how many people do you think come to see them? From 1999 to 2002 the Cubs had three season where they lost at least 95 games and every year they drew AT LEAST 2.7 million people, except for 2002 when they drew 2.693 million.

I would think that an owner of the Cubs knows that it is in their best interest to do everything they can do to keep Wrigley Field standing for as long as possible. I also think that Rahm knows that as well and he also knows the Cubs have no real leverage here.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
It's amazing people go to Sox games then since this can also be used to describe the experience of getting to a Sox game by car.
You're aware the Sox are in the bottom 1/3rd of the league in attendance, right? And that the Cubs basically doubled our attendance numbers last year despite the fact they lost 101 games?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
The Blue Line from downtown to Rosemont takes anywhere from 45-60 minutes depending on where you board in the Loop and at what time (at 5:00pm you might have to wait a bit just to squeeze into a jam packed car, especially if you get on at Clark & Lake) . The slow zones of the past are pretty much gone.
45-60 minutes is fast? Good god, I am glad I don't ever have to take the Blue Line past Logan Square ever any more.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Viva Medias B's Viva Medias B's is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palos Park, IL
Posts: 12,872
Default

We'll keep political angles out of this, of course, but the Sun-Times is reporting that Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) is proposing Wrigley Field's hand-operated scoreboard be replaced by a video scoreboard. IIRC, that scoreboard was installed by Bill Veeck in 1937.

Link
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.