White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default Something to keep an eye on for the Sox/Orioles game on September 5

Sox and Orioles are scheduled to play a night game on Thursday, September 5th, but the NFL is trying to pressure the O's to reschedule so it does not interfere with the likely home opener for the Ravens...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...season-opener/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,993
Default

The NFL expects everyone to accommodate them? Why, I never!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,951
Default

The one thing that isn't going to happen is a doubleheader later in the series. That's the worst option for both teams.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Jerko Jerko is offline
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,275
Default

Tough ****; it's not like the Ravens play in Camden Yards. We've had prime time Bears games with the Cubs or Sox in town.
__________________
Playoffs? PLAYoffs?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Tough ****; it's not like the Ravens play in Camden Yards. We've had prime time Bears games with the Cubs or Sox in town.
They share parking. They cannot play at the same time. That's not an option.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 AM
moochpuppy moochpuppy is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ft. Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,383
Default

Make it a day game with a noon start. Seems simple enough.
__________________
Tradition rich:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2839/weaverfa8.gif
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
Make it a day game with a noon start. Seems simple enough.
Unlikely the union would allow that change as both teams have to play night games elsewhere Wednesday and then fly into Baltimore
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Unlikely the union would allow that change as both teams have to play night games elsewhere Wednesday and then fly into Baltimore
Yep. At first, I thought it was the last game of a four game series. BALT has a history of not scheduling a day game on getaway day. since it isn't, I would tell the NFL tough ****. Then, after repeating the response, make them up their ante. Then, you think about it. sounds like good business to me.
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
Yep. At first, I thought it was the last game of a four game series. BALT has a history of not scheduling a day game on getaway day. since it isn't, I would tell the NFL tough ****. Then, after repeating the response, make them up their ante. Then, you think about it. sounds like good business to me.
If the NFL can't go without the Ravens opening the season that night, they're going to have to make it worth it to the Orioles and White Sox- meaning compensating them for the TV/radio revenue lost by going to a day game.

They'll figure it out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 26,052
Default

The O's can simply forfeit the game to us.

Seriously, these Thursday night NFL games are a crock of ****. The players aren't ready for them, the coaching staffs can't get all their prep time in and the it's a school night for the fans.....
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,619
Default

The NFL should mind its own business. Boo hoo if another sport is competing at the same time. Under that logic, the Dodgers shouldn't have even played the night the Kings won the Stanley Cup last year.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Seriously, these Thursday night NFL games are a crock of ****. The players aren't ready for them, the coaching staffs can't get all their prep time in and the it's a school night for the fans.....
I think six months of prep time will be sufficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
If the NFL can't go without the Ravens opening the season that night, they're going to have to make it worth it to the Orioles and White Sox- meaning compensating them for the TV/radio revenue lost by going to a day game.

They'll figure it out.
I would think the most likely outcome is the NFL tosses the Orioles some cash and we end up with a doubleheader sometime later that series (Saturday, most likely).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The NFL should mind its own business. Boo hoo if another sport is competing at the same time. Under that logic, the Dodgers shouldn't have even played the night the Kings won the Stanley Cup last year.
I would agree with you, except the stadiums sit side by side, share a parking lot, and thus both teams can't play at the same time. Chavez Ravine might be close to downtown and the Staples Center, but not enough to cause a problem like it does in Baltimore.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Tree Hate Me Tree Hate Me is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lommmmmbarrrrrd
Posts: 64
Default

The NFL could just schedule their opening night for Wednesday night instead of Thursday. They did that last fall for the Cowboys/Giants game so as not to go against the President speaking at the DNC in Charlotte.

If they push for a Saturday doubleheader and that gets rained out and played on Sunday the problem is the two clubs don't share any common days off for the rest of the year to make up one more game.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
The NFL could just schedule their opening night for Wednesday night instead of Thursday. They did that last fall for the Cowboys/Giants game so as not to go against the President speaking at the DNC in Charlotte.
Rosh Hashanah
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.