White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
It would be in the Cubs best interest to have some leverage against whatever city council or whatever they have to face. It's quite dumb they are the only team that can't play so many night games, etc. And, I don't even give too ****s about the Cubs, but I still find it amusing.

If the residents are so worried about them, Wrigley Field has only been there 100 years. I've lived by the Pacific West train line my whole life. Hell, every time I move, I move even closer to the tracks. Should I complain the trains are too noisy?
I remember the issue in the early 80's with the lights. Because Wrigley didn't have lights in '84 it cost them home field in the NL Championship and we all know how that series against the Padres turned out.

Do the residents not realize that if the Cubs left it would kill their neighborhood. What would they rather have......some more night games to put up with or a bunch of abandoned store fronts up and down Clark street?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Honestly, this would be the worst PR disaster and most boneheaded financial move in professional sports history if the Cubs were to move from their storybook ballpark in the heart of the City to some vacant lot out in Rosemont next to the Tollway. As a Sox fan, I'm on my knees praying that this is true and that the City of Chicago tells Ricketts to kiss ass and move.

From a logistical standpoint, this new site wouldn't be COMPLETELY removed from public transportation (looks like there's a Metra line there), but for all practical purposes, they might as well relocate to Rockford. The neighborhood around this site would be more barren than USCF.

Can't believe this is "real" leverage, and I hope the City doesn't take these clowns seriously, and on the same front I hope the Ricketts are 100% serious. Hilarious concept.
I may be the only person in the world praying harder than you as a Sox fan who lives next door to the Wrigleyville area; the Cubs disappear from the public eye AND they get out of my hair? Christmas come early for me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Isn't Depaul basketball looking to move games back to the city? If the Cubs move to Rosemont, the City can tear down Wrigley so a new basketball arena can be built @ Clark & Addison for the Blue Demons. It's a win-win.
Yes, which should be evidence enough if anyone thinks the Ricketts are really taking this seriously. DePaul is desperately trying to get out of Rosemont. The only sports team in Chicago that could even possibly seriously consider a move to the burbs is maybe the Bears, who only need to pack a stadium 8 to a max 11 times per year, and then almost exclusively on the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The Bulls really offered the UC for a decade, rent-free?!
Yes, the idea, IIRC, is that a new DePaul stadium would be competition for concerts and other events at the UC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The rosemont station at river road on the blue line is not that far from this proposed location. I bet not much further than the green line stop from Sox park.
First off, it's probably double the distance and second, it's not exactly an environment that encourages walking; I don't know if you've ever seen River Road through Rosemont, but it's basically a freeway that doesn't even have sidewalks for most of it. I'm sure they'd need to run shuttle buses back and forth.

Oh, and the Metra line that runs that way doesn't currently have service on weekends.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochpuppy View Post
Do the residents not realize that if the Cubs left it would kill their neighborhood. What would they rather have......some more night games to put up with or a bunch of abandoned store fronts up and down Clark street?
Kill the neighborhood? Come on. It's not 1980 anymore, Lakeview isn't the sketchy run down neighborhood it was back in the day, it is thriving. The population of Lakeview alone would be the 9th largest town in the state, it's density is double that of San Francisco (the most dense large city in America). Would some of the party atmosphere on Clark Street suffer? Sure, probably, but Wrigley will still live on as an entertainment destination for concerts, events, etc. even if the Cubs moved out (and I'm sure they're not going to because the Ricketts, for all their faults, aren't total morons).

Maybe back in 1975, Lakeview needed the Cubs. In 2013, it doesn't.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I remember the issue in the early 80's with the lights. Because Wrigley didn't have lights in '84 it cost them home field in the NL Championship and we all know how that series against the Padres turned out.

?
Yet another load of mularkey put out by Cub-dumb and lazy journalists. "Home Field Advantage" alternated between the two divisions and in 1984 it was the NL West's turn.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

First off, it's probably double the distance and second, it's not exactly an environment that encourages walking; I don't know if you've ever seen River Road through Rosemont, but it's basically a freeway that doesn't even have sidewalks for most of it. I'm sure they'd need to run shuttle buses back and forth.

Oh, and the Metra line that runs that way doesn't currently have service on weekends.
Im familiar with the area but with the money Rosemont has and would get, a pedestrian friendly access to a stadium could be done. But Rosemont wouldnt want it, they love to charge people to park that go to that area.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Yet another load of mularkey put out by Cub-dumb and lazy journalists. "Home Field Advantage" alternated between the two divisions and in 1984 it was the NL West's turn.
Maybe it was "if" the Cubs would have made the WS. I know there was talk of games being moved because of lack of night games at Wrigley.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Les Grobstein, who is unapologetic Cubs fan as it gets, has said this multiple times.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im familiar with the area but with the money Rosemont has and would get, a pedestrian friendly access to a stadium could be done. But Rosemont wouldnt want it, they love to charge people to park that go to that area.
They charge $13 to park for their so called entertainment district. There isn't much to offer, and everything is a large wait. I should stick to Forest Park if I want a night out.

that said, if the Cubs sent out their resident mascot to try to stir things, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
It would be in the Cubs best interest to have some leverage against whatever city council or whatever they have to face. It's quite dumb they are the only team that can't play so many night games, etc. And, I don't even give too ****s about the Cubs, but I still find it amusing.

If the residents are so worried about them, Wrigley Field has only been there 100 years. I've lived by the Pacific West train line my whole life. Hell, every time I move, I move even closer to the tracks. Should I complain the trains are too noisy?
People move into the neighborhood understanding the agreement as it is, not as the Cubs want it to be. I'm sure if Pacific West wanted to run trains through your town at 4 AM blasting music at 200 decibels, while shooting fireworks, and shinging spotlights you wouldn't just shrug your shoulders and say, well, the tracks have always been there.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It would kill the bars on Clark street, most of which are struggling anyway because there's too many of them, but the neighborhood would do just fine.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Meanwhile, DePaul is apparently saying "no, thanks" to the UC:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7158406.story
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
It would kill the bars on Clark street, most of which are struggling anyway because there's too many of them, but the neighborhood would do just fine.
Some of them would certainly close, but I think the area would remain a destination; I mean, they had 25,000 people PAY to attend a barcrawl there in DECEMBER.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Some of them would certainly close, but I think the area would remain a destination; I mean, they had 25,000 people PAY to attend a barcrawl there in DECEMBER.
Yikes, I had no idea. I guess it is THE destination for suburbanites and recent college graduates looking to get rowdy.

I know several people who have lived in that area for years and I don't think one of them would miss the Cubs if they left the city. I keep hearing stories about drunken fans pissing on lawns, getting into fights in the alleys, etc.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
Yikes, I had no idea. I guess it is THE destination for suburbanites and recent college graduates looking to get rowdy.

I know several people who have lived in that area for years and I don't think one of them would miss the Cubs if they left the city. I keep hearing stories about drunken fans pissing on lawns, getting into fights in the alleys, etc.
I would imagine a good percentage of people who live there consider their favorite part of the summer being when the Cubs are on the road.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
People move into the neighborhood understanding the agreement as it is, not as the Cubs want it to be. I'm sure if Pacific West wanted to run trains through your town at 4 AM blasting music at 200 decibels, while shooting fireworks, and shinging spotlights you wouldn't just shrug your shoulders and say, well, the tracks have always been there.
Um, a little extreme? I used to hear the tracks loud and clear when I lived a mile and a half away. And, I'm talking about the train on the tracks, not the horn. I heard even more when I moved closer to them. I just learned to deal with it. If I moved to Wrigleville and I complained about stupid fans or drunk idiots, I would sound rather silly. I knew there were there before hand.

And, I don't give two ****s about the Cubs, and I hope they move somewhere so they will enter irrelevancy. I just don't see that happening.