White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Default So - how are we looking - on the field...

anyone have a sense of that? Things have been awfully quiet.
Any surprises for roster spots?
Any changes in the approaches of, say Viciedo or Beckham?
Any surprise pitchers?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Banned

On the pitching side of things, our team seems like its almost filled out. Axelrod has probably been our best pitcher this spring.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Prelate

There is less anticipation for this year than last.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
anyone have a sense of that? Things have been awfully quiet.
Any surprises for roster spots?
Any changes in the approaches of, say Viciedo or Beckham?
Any surprise pitchers?
I've heard they added a leg kick to Viciedo's swing to try to help his timing.

Aside from that, I don't have anything to offer.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I've heard they added a leg kick to Viciedo's swing to try to help his timing.

Aside from that, I don't have anything to offer.
Hi yes agreed; I was hoping to hear how Chris Sale is working on developing "knucklecurve" or other filthy off speedo junque but I guess will be forced to rely on 97mph to extent that works. Am eager for season to start and have another reason to drink beer.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Hi yes agreed; I was hoping to hear how Chris Sale is working on developing "knucklecurve" or other filthy off speedo junque but I guess will be forced to rely on 97mph to extent that works. Am eager for season to start and have another reason to drink beer.
The only time Chris Sale will ever throw a knuckle curve is on your playstation in edit mode. Side Arm pitchers do not throw the pitch with consistency since you have to spike it down to get that knee buckling bite. For Sale to get that to be an effective pitch, he is going to destroy his arm. His motion is most conducive to the vanishing slider he already has. He doesn't need to use another breaking pitch. Once he harnishes that change up, which is already a plus pitch, he is going to be sick.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The only time Chris Sale will ever throw a knuckle curve is on your playstation in edit mode. Side Arm pitchers do not throw the pitch with consistency since you have to spike it down to get that knee buckling bite. For Sale to get that to be an effective pitch, he is going to destroy his arm. His motion is most conducive to the vanishing slider he already has. He doesn't need to use another breaking pitch. Once he harnishes that change up, which is already a plus pitch, he is going to be sick.
Agreed. Sale doesn't need any other pitches. He just needs to refine the offspeed pitches already in his arsenal.

If we're going to worry about a pitcher, we should probably worry about Danks. Obviously, he's coming off the injury and isn't where he needs to be. He got hit around by the Angels this afternoon. He's got another three weeks to find his stuff.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have seen this "Sale knuckle-curve" a couple times over the winter. I don't know if it was you before but this is ridiculous. Stuff was never this kid's problem. You probably aren't a pitcher but from my knowledge I don't think it's possible to throw a knuckle-curve from the angle Sale pitches.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
I have seen this "Sale knuckle-curve" a couple times over the winter. I don't know if it was you before but this is ridiculous. Stuff was never this kid's problem. You probably aren't a pitcher but from my knowledge I don't think it's possible to throw a knuckle-curve from the angle Sale pitches.
It isn't. You have to get on top of a Knuckle Curve in order to get the Snap to it. You really have to break it off. It is a very hard pitch to throw, and next to impossible physically from the arm slot Sale pitches from. If Sale tried to throw it, it would do 1 of 3 things, not break at all, bounce in, or most likely, just hang.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sorry for piling on, but arm slot aide, the knuckle-curve isn't exactly easy to master -- or others would be throwing it. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two pitchers who have mastered it: Burt Hooton and Mike Mussina. I'm sure I'm overlooking others, but it's not like every team has a pitcher with one in his pitch selection.

I'm hoping both Danks and Crain are healthy enough to open the season with the team. I'm also concerned about Keppinger's shoulder. He's really not in Beckham's league defensively at 2B. If his shoulder isn't healthy enough to allow him to play third, it's a problem.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

From the time Danks had shoulder surgery to this moment, I have concerns about his future. Shoulder surgery is very tricky for a pitcher.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Sorry for piling on, but arm slot aide, the knuckle-curve isn't exactly easy to master -- or others would be throwing it. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two pitchers who have mastered it: Burt Hooton and Mike Mussina. I'm sure I'm overlooking others, but it's not like every team has a pitcher with one in his pitch selection.

I'm hoping both Danks and Crain are healthy enough to open the season with the team. I'm also concerned about Keppinger's shoulder. He's really not in Beckham's league defensively at 2B. If his shoulder isn't healthy enough to allow him to play third, it's a problem.
OK sorry to PO everyone; have been recalling how Contreras had that devastating forkball from 3/4 arm slot. Eventually Sale will likely develop more offspeed junk tho yes the changeup is already a plus pitch. And with RA Dickey throwing the hard knuckleball I keep thinking something weird along those lines would be a good tool for the arsenal. Or even some kind of screwball like pitch with reverse break to really give hitters something to think about. Would move Sale from 4 star to 5 star stellar rating.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
OK sorry to PO everyone; have been recalling how Contreras had that devastating forkball from 3/4 arm slot. Eventually Sale will likely develop more offspeed junk tho yes the changeup is already a plus pitch. And with RA Dickey throwing the hard knuckleball I keep thinking something weird along those lines would be a good tool for the arsenal. Or even some kind of screwball like pitch with reverse break to really give hitters something to think about. Would move Sale from 4 star to 5 star stellar rating.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it if it was possible, I just think Sale has all the tools to be 5 star. He needs to work on locaton and durability. The slider is an out pitch. Joe Mauer has said its the hardest pitch he has ever tried to hit.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it if it was possible, I just think Sale has all the tools to be 5 star. He needs to work on locaton and durability. The slider is an out pitch. Joe Mauer has said its the hardest pitch he has ever tried to hit.
Comlpetely agree with you. This isn't fantasy camp. Pitchers don't regularly pick these pitches up while they're in the majors like they would a cutter or change up. If anyone can name either a handfull of pitchers who throw a screwball or knuckle-curve I would be shocked.

Knuckle-Curve- Mike Mussina and AJ Burnett. I think Dan Haren used to throw one too. Hoyt Wilhelm had an absolutely filthy one in MVP 2005.

I am definitely not saying the pitch is ineffective because it is sick when harnessed. The nastiest pitch I had ever seen in my amateur career was a knuckle-curve. That kid is now starting on the reigning NCCA Championship Arizona Wildcats and he is a freshman.

Screwball- Hector Santiago and John Smoltz. From what I understand this pitch does to your elbow what throwing hundreds of sliders does to your shoulder.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm confused why we are even discussing forcing one of the most dominating starters the Sox have had in decades at the age at age 24 a brand new pitch. Isn't it obvious the guy doesn't need to learn a new pitch? Teach a new pitch to Dylan Axelrod. Let's not try to fix things that are far from being broken and potentially cause health, production, or mechanical issues.