White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,908
Default Tigers release Boesch

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...e-1-9-million/

Man, when that guy first came up I thought he was going to be something.

Manto'll fix 'im?
__________________
Attendance Records

2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,511
Default

No Boesch. No Raburn. Two Sox killers off the Tigers' roster (though Raburn's with Cleveland now).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Interesting move. Being a youngish left handed power threat, I'm sure Boesch won't have to wait long to find a job. Tigers must feel that Quintin Berry is ready to assume that lefty outfielder role. Berry's over the top antics are almost as annoying as Carlos Gomez. I sure am happy we get to see more of him. I thought Boesch was going to be a stud too when he was first called up. It shows you how hard sustained success in this league is. Makes you really appreciate what guys like Paulie have done in their careers over such a long period of time. Boesch is still young enough to figure it out though but he is entering that "now or never" Gordon Beckham-ish territory. It always seemed like Boesch came up with a big HR against the Sox when he played. 8 of his career 42 HRs came against us. I won't miss seeing him come up to the plate.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
SoxNation05 SoxNation05 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Palos Park
Posts: 1,713
Default

Not that I want the Sox to sign Boesch, but us signing Wise at the fourth outfielder to start the offseason stil pisses me off. We have seen so many better options become available and our bench is crippled because we invested in Wise without looking at other options.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
RCWHITESOX's Avatar
RCWHITESOX RCWHITESOX is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Placentia, California
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Not that I want the Sox to sign Boesch, but us signing Wise at the fourth outfielder to start the offseason stil pisses me off. We have seen so many better options become available and our bench is crippled because we invested in Wise without looking at other options.
The Sox should sign him and send Danks down. I still think he can be a very good player.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Not that I want the Sox to sign Boesch, but us signing Wise at the fourth outfielder to start the offseason stil pisses me off. We have seen so many better options become available and our bench is crippled because we invested in Wise without looking at other options.
Is Wise really that bad as a bench player? He has plus defensive skills, plays all three outfield positions, provides a little bit of pop, and has plus speed on the basepaths which also gives him value as a pinch runner late in games. Wise certainly is not an all star nor is he a guy I want playing every day but for the backup role the Sox have assigned him, he seems to fit the bill pretty well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
ChiSoxFann ChiSoxFann is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago Ridge
Posts: 481
Default

I wouldn't mind adding Boesch and dumping Wise or Danks, but I'm sure there will be a few teams looking at him and I don't see it happening.

The only reason I'm not a fan of Wise is whether it was Ozzie in years past or Robin last year the guy always seems to get too much playing time. I don't mine him as a bench guy, but he seems to find his way into the starting line up quite a bit when he's here. Somebody in the organization is in love with Wise and I can't understand why.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
SoxNation05 SoxNation05 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Palos Park
Posts: 1,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Is Wise really that bad as a bench player? He has plus defensive skills, plays all three outfield positions, provides a little bit of pop, and has plus speed on the basepaths which also gives him value as a pinch runner late in games. Wise certainly is not an all star nor is he a guy I want playing every day but for the backup role the Sox have assigned him, he seems to fit the bill pretty well.
His .228/.264 line is what upsets me. I guess you are right when you say he provides little pop, just very, very little pop.

That and the fact there is many better options and compared to other team's 4th outfielders he is in the bottom half of the league.

Last edited by SoxNation05; 03-13-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,989
Default

DeWayne Wise should be burned at the stake.
__________________
Obligatory Attendance Record:
3-3
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Wedema Wedema is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hammond, IN
Posts: 597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFann View Post
I wouldn't mind adding Boesch and dumping Wise or Danks, but I'm sure there will be a few teams looking at him and I don't see it happening.

The only reason I'm not a fan of Wise is whether it was Ozzie in years past or Robin last year the guy always seems to get too much playing time. I don't mine him as a bench guy, but he seems to find his way into the starting line up quite a bit when he's here. Somebody in the organization is in love with Wise and I can't understand why.

Maybe it is because of The Catch.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Oblong Oblong is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Interesting move. Being a youngish left handed power threat, I'm sure Boesch won't have to wait long to find a job. Tigers must feel that Quintin Berry is ready to assume that lefty outfielder role. Berry's over the top antics are almost as annoying as Carlos Gomez. I sure am happy we get to see more of him. I thought Boesch was going to be a stud too when he was first called up. It shows you how hard sustained success in this league is. Makes you really appreciate what guys like Paulie have done in their careers over such a long period of time. Boesch is still young enough to figure it out though but he is entering that "now or never" Gordon Beckham-ish territory. It always seemed like Boesch came up with a big HR against the Sox when he played. 8 of his career 42 HRs came against us. I won't miss seeing him come up to the plate.
Boesch was a longshot to make the team to begin with, and Berry's one as well. The primary LF will be Andy Dirks. If he's hurt or stinks it up then look for Avisail Garcia or perhaps #1 prospect Nick Castellanos to get the at bats. I suspect Don Kelly and Jeff Kobernus along with Ramon Santiago will fill out the bench.
__________________
"You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." - Bill Lee
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
Boesch was a longshot to make the team to begin with, and Berry's one as well. The primary LF will be Andy Dirks. If he's hurt or stinks it up then look for Avisail Garcia or perhaps #1 prospect Nick Castellanos to get the at bats. I suspect Don Kelly and Jeff Kobernus along with Ramon Santiago will fill out the bench.
Completely forgot about Dirks for some reason. Yeah, I guess that would make Berry more of a long shot to make the team and made Boesch expendable.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,073
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
His .228/.264 line is what upsets me. I guess you are right when you say he provides little pop, just very, very little pop.
He hit 8HRs last year as a mostly reserve player. How many HRs would you like out of your 4th outfielder? 30?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:22 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,634
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Wise is a capable bench outfielder, and he gets playing time because you can't run the same 3 outfielders out all season, like Robin seemed to do last year until they started to break down in August.

No complaints there, it's the rest of the bench that's really sub-par. With an unlimited budget, I'd really prefer a better overall hitter in the 1st reserve OF spot, pushing Wise down a spot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
XplodingScorbord's Avatar
XplodingScorbord XplodingScorbord is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 375
Default

The Chicago White Sox bench should be populated by .300/30HR/30 steals guys, and until it is so, I shan't be happy.
__________________
**Xploding Scorbord**
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.