White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What grade do you give Rick Hahn for his first off-season as White Sox GM?
A 10 10.64%
B 39 41.49%
C 34 36.17%
D 7 7.45%
F 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree NELL, we needed a left handed stick. I'll say a c as well. I think we'll be able to pitch with most teams, but you still have to hit in this league.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Then that's grading the season, not the off-season
Fair enough - so instead, we will discuss AJ vs Flowers based on LAST season? back at ya!

SMO
Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 AM
WSI Personality

On the good side, Hahn has made solid, cautious moves and seemingly hasn't done anything to screw up the team.

On the down side, did he do anything to close the gap to the Tigers? No. Did he work any miracles to offload any bad contacts? No. Hahn didn't move any of the big rocks that need to be moved, and, there are some basic problems with the roster that are screaming to be addressed. As already been pointed out upthread, we need more left handed hitting. And a GM who fails to bring in a competent major league-proven backup catcher when making a transition to a new starting catcher is just one foul tip away from taking the blame for a lost season.

Gentlemen's D.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI Personality

Default Hahn

Signing Keppenger, Sale, and Peavy has certainly made it a busy off season for Hahn. I'm sure these signings will help the White Sox reach the Playoffs in 2013. There's an old saying which describes the upcoming White Sox season= The White Sox are coming, tra la, tra la.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI High Priest

I gave it a C, since this was one of the quieter offseasons the White Sox have had in a while. Depending on how Gillaspie and Bell do, those moves could push it up. Keppinger was one versatile player we needed last year and extending Sale will cause less headaches down the road.
Edit: Forgot about Peavy too.

Last edited by SoxSpeed22; 03-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
On the good side, Hahn has made solid, cautious moves and seemingly hasn't done anything to screw up the team.

On the down side, did he do anything to close the gap to the Tigers? No. Did he work any miracles to offload any bad contacts? No. Hahn didn't move any of the big rocks that need to be moved, and, there are some basic problems with the roster that are screaming to be addressed. As already been pointed out upthread, we need more left handed hitting. And a GM who fails to bring in a competent major league-proven backup catcher when making a transition to a new starting catcher is just one foul tip away from taking the blame for a lost season.

Gentlemen's D.
Absolutely. All the players that address those needs are not only available, but their salary demands all fit the Sox' budget. Oh, how would you get rid of bad contracts? Tell another GM that he will either take over a bad contract or his brains will be on the paperwork while Brooks holds a gun to his head (too bad Luca Brasi is swimming with the fishes, he can be more convincing than Brooks)?

All hail The Rick
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Banned

You can't grade Hahn as he's really fixing a mess that was dealt to him. I think he'll do fine once he has more flexibility.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Without knowing the deals that were offered, I really can't say. I like what he's done so far. Extending Sale is one of the most exciting moves the Sox have made in years. I'm really, really happy we got rid of AJ. I wish we could have added a bat, but I don't know who was really available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
You can't grade Hahn as he's really fixing a mess that was dealt to him. I think he'll do fine once he has more flexibility.
This.

More than happy with the Sale deal though.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Absolutely. All the players that address those needs are not only available, but their salary demands all fit the Sox' budget. Oh, how would you get rid of bad contracts? Tell another GM that he will either take over a bad contract or his brains will be on the paperwork while Brooks holds a gun to his head (too bad Luca Brasi is swimming with the fishes, he can be more convincing than Brooks)?
At least Taylor Street is not too far from the ballpark, so he should have plenty of time to pick up the cannolis beforehand.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
I always find this type of response interesting. All a GM can do is put the best team together he/she can on paper, but sometimes, players don't play to their averages and sometimes players play above their heads.
I know what you are saying but you are signing players and trading for players based on future performance not past performance. You're getting paid over a million dollars to create and develop a team that wins; it's a 24/7 job. I cannot give out a grade based on reports I see and looking at stats on players I have never seen in person (ie: Gillaspie). I'll wait to see how they perform to give out a grade.

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
At the risk of admitting I've seen those movies too many times, ol' Luca wound up sleeping with the fishes.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post

Just to be fair though, Hahn had a hand in "the mess" that was dealt to him.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Average, C, but hopefully higher come fall.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
At the risk of admitting I've seen those movies too many times, ol' Luca wound up sleeping with the fishes.
My bad. Typo. It is impossible to see One and Two too many times.