White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What grade do you give Rick Hahn for his first off-season as White Sox GM?
A 10 10.64%
B 39 41.49%
C 34 36.17%
D 7 7.45%
F 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Incomplete.

Need to know how the moves turn out before I can grade it.

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
WSI Personality

I gave Hahn a B. I think he has a done a great job given what he is working with. Had you asked me this question before the Sale extension, I probably would have given him a C.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt View Post
Incomplete.

Need to know how the moves turn out before I can grade it.
I always find this type of response interesting. All a GM can do is put the best team together he/she can on paper, but sometimes, players don't play to their averages and sometimes players play above their heads.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI High Priest

C+ for the moves made so far, really disappointed we are still missing another left handed bat in the lineup.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
I always find this type of response interesting. All a GM can do is put the best team together he/she can on paper, but sometimes, players don't play to their averages and sometimes players play above their heads.
I agree, in September, we talk about how the PLAYERS performed

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Right now he has a high C or a low B from me. That deal Chris Sale got was a great move but with any deal involving a pitcher there is a lot of risk involved. I am sure Cub fans would have been very pleased if they had locked up Mark Prior in 2003 too, but again the risk of injury comes with the territory. Even if Sale blows out his elbow and isn't very effective again it is still a worthwhile risk to take I think.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Margalus makes the point much more eloquently than I...

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/3/8...g-term-fortune
True, but there's still that whole "He's skinny and throws all weird.", as Margolis put it.

Kind of odd to see a contract extension for a pitcher we already have on the roster pushing Hahn to much higher grades.

We let lots of good FAs walk, resigned a starter to a big deal who will have a surgery named after him in the future, got a hurt Keppinger who may not be able to play 3B until June, and did little else, other than expecting many players who have failed in the past to suddenly put it all together.

I know hope in spring training is infectious, but this year, I'm gonna have to see some results to assume this team will be any better than the .500 club they look like on paper.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Right now he has a high C or a low B from me. That deal Chris Sale got was a great move but with any deal involving a pitcher there is a lot of risk involved. I am sure Cub fans would have been very pleased if they had locked up Mark Prior in 2003 too, but again the risk of injury comes with the territory. Even if Sale blows out his elbow and isn't very effective again it is still a worthwhile risk to take I think.
I agree. The Sale extension was a good move and he was able to bring back Peavy. But I still see the Sox as about a .500 team this year.

To be fair, I don't think Hahn had too much to work with. The farm system is pretty bare, making it difficult to trade for talent. Also, I'm assuming he didn't have much payroll flexibility to work with.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI High Priest

No option for an "I" for Incomplete? Poll sucks.

At least let's see what HIS team does for a season to see what he failed to address. That saix I like the Sale extension.

SMO
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

conor gillaspie is going to make him look like a genius
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
True, but there's still that whole "He's skinny and throws all weird.", as Margolis put it.

Kind of odd to see a contract extension for a pitcher we already have on the roster pushing Hahn to much higher grades.

We let lots of good FAs walk, resigned a starter to a big deal who will have a surgery named after him in the future, got a hurt Keppinger who may not be able to play 3B until June, and did little else, other than expecting many players who have failed in the past to suddenly put it all together.

I know hope in spring training is infectious, but this year, I'm gonna have to see some results to assume this team will be any better than the .500 club they look like on paper.
First, who were these lots of good FA's that we let walk besides AJ? Youk? That guy is washed up and not worth the $12 million the Yankees are paying him this year. For as good as AJ had been for the Sox I think there is more going on than we know that led to his departure. And there is no way AJ replicates his season from last year.

Second, what crystal ball are you using that has told you Sale is going to have a surgery named after him? Why are you so sure he is going to blow his arm out, because other people have said so? Other people have said he has the same motion as Randy Johnson and Johnson seemed to have a pretty good career.

And of course this team looks like a .500 club. They looked this way last year too and I think most of us on this board knew this was going to be the way the team goes until after 2014 and the big contracts come off the board. I think Hahn has done what he can considering the status of the team and the farm system. And yes, signing Sale to that extension is risky but the reward can be so great that it could go down as one of the best signings the Sox have ever made.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
At least let's see what HIS team does for a season to see what he failed to address. That saix I like the Sale extension.
Then that's grading the season, not the off-season
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Am I missing something here? I haven't read or heard anything that indicates Keppinger's inability to play 3B until June. Robin was on WSCR this morning and indicated Keppinger was acquired primarily to play 3B but has some flexbility to play other spots when they need him to. He made no mention of any physical limitations.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
First, who were these lots of good FA's that we let walk besides AJ? Youk? That guy is washed up and not worth the $12 million the Yankees are paying him this year. For as good as AJ had been for the Sox I think there is more going on than we know that led to his departure. And there is no way AJ replicates his season from last year.

Second, what crystal ball are you using that has told you Sale is going to have a surgery named after him? Why are you so sure he is going to blow his arm out, because other people have said so? Other people have said he has the same motion as Randy Johnson and Johnson seemed to have a pretty good career.

And of course this team looks like a .500 club. They looked this way last year too and I think most of us on this board knew this was going to be the way the team goes until after 2014 and the big contracts come off the board. I think Hahn has done what he can considering the status of the team and the farm system. And yes, signing Sale to that extension is risky but the reward can be so great that it could go down as one of the best signings the Sox have ever made.
Peavy, not Sale - he's the one with the innovative surgery.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post

Not signing Youk gets him an A from me. ($12M, gasp)