White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Ozzie Guillen was never a player-manager, he was a former player who became a manager.
You are missing the point. There was a time in 2005 when the Sox had injured infielders, and were playing in Oakland, far away from where all of their minor league players were. The Sox were so desperate, Chris Widger started at 3B and Joe Crede started at SS. Later in that game Jermaine Dye was moved to SS to replace an ejected Crede.

At the time KW and OG were quoted as saying that they nearly activated Ozzie in an emergency situation to play infield.

They may have had a hangup as they didn't want to drop someone from the 40 man to add Ozzie. Another hangup may have been how Ozzie retired. If Tampa Bay (who he last played for) still owned his rights, the Sox would have had to make some sort of transaction to get his rights before they could even add him to the 40 man.

If all that had happened, OG would have been the 1st player/manager since Pete Rose in the 80s.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
I too remember that game well. I watched from my hospital room as I recovered from diverticulitus. I seem to remember that Ozzie said he was very close to activating himself to start at SS that day. They just didn't want to drop a player to get Ozzie back on the 40 man roster.

With KW considering making Konerko a player/manager last year, the Sox could have had 3 out of the last 4 player-managers in Don Kessinger, Ozzie Guillen, and Paul Konerko, with Pete Rose being the other one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
I think he was saying that if Guillen had activated himself to play SS that game, that would have given the Sox a player-manager for that game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
You are missing the point. There was a time in 2005 when the Sox had injured infielders, and were playing in Oakland, far away from where all of their minor league players were. The Sox were so desperate, Chris Widger started at 3B and Joe Crede started at SS. Later in that game Jermaine Dye was moved to SS to replace an ejected Crede.

At the time KW and OG were quoted as saying that they nearly activated Ozzie in an emergency situation to play infield.

They may have had a hangup as they didn't want to drop someone from the 40 man to add Ozzie. Another hangup may have been how Ozzie retired. If Tampa Bay (who he last played for) still owned his rights, the Sox would have had to make some sort of transaction to get his rights before they could even add him to the 40 man.

If all that had happened, OG would have been the 1st player/manager since Pete Rose in the 80s.
I missed the highlighted part, sorry about that. That would have been pretty cool to see actually. I was at school that day so I didn't get to see that game.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM
WSI Regular

Morel at any position sucks.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI Guru

Iron:

Probably better though than Angel Sanchez no?

Lip
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't see what there is to apologize for, I can't believe anyone's watched the Sox in the last 2 years and not concluded that, at best, on a good team, Brent Morel is a fringe starter.
Sure looks like it. Between injuries and the front office never really having confidence in him, I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone before the end of the year. He's had his chances, but he's clearly not impressing anybody. If his future is utility infielder for the rest of his career, he'll make his living somewhere. Just probably not here.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Iron:

Lip
Probably not, shortstop is arguably the 2nd most valuable defensive position, you want a guy who can play the position. And, maybe I missed it, but when did Brent Morel become a guy with a stick we had to find a way to squeeze in the lineup? This isn't like the Angels moving Trumbo all over the diamond last year, Morel is a career .230 hitter (.240 if you ignore the season his back was bugging him). He's not some kind of guy whose going to give you plus offense from any position. Maybe Sanchez will be bad. Likely, even, but what is the harm in keeping him around, seeing if you found lightning in a bottle, and letting Brent get back to game speed in AAA? The Sox aren't going to win or lose anything this year because Sanchez is just a better option than Morel for the 25th spot on the roster.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Sure looks like it. Between injuries and the front office never really having confidence in him, I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone before the end of the year. He's had his chances, but he's clearly not impressing anybody. If his future is utility infielder for the rest of his career, he'll make his living somewhere. Just probably not here.
He's not even eligible to become an FA until after 2017. I'm not expecting there to be an avalanche of interest in ol' Brent Morel.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Iron:

Lip
Bring back Angel Gonzalez.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Bring back Angel Gonzalez.
He is still a part of the Chicago White Sox team!