White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
It makes as much sense as anything. I'm all for it except in the case that Morel's health can't hold up even as a backup. If this is the case and we lose Sanchez because he is out of options where does that leave us?

It's a shame Morel was hurt from the get go last year...his September 2010 was awesome.
It was 2011, but lots of posters here will tell you that it doesn't count because it was against callup pitchers even though no other player on the team had a similar effect.

If 2012 was an injury year and September 2011 was the real thing, he could be back at 3rd and Keppinger at 2nd when Mr. Excuses runs out of them.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

I know a lot of people are making snarky comments about this, but Ventura did clearly say during Soxfest several times that he was considering using Morel as a backup shortstop. I heard it with my own ears, so it was definitely discussed over the winter, and seemingly Ventura is somewhat serious. In fact, I think Hahn talked about it in one of the seminars as well, talking about how valuable Morel would be as a backup second baseman or shortstop. Unfortunately either nobody remembers that or the media just simply did not pick up on the comment in January. It was discussed though.
Then it might be time to have the FIRE ROBIN tag made up
Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Personality

Ramirez started 157 games last year so a back up SS is only needed for 5 or so games barring injury.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Wise man backing up OFers
Jimenez backup C
Gillaspie backup 3b
Morel backup ss and 3b

With the Kepper able to backup Beckham at 2nd with Brent or Conor able to fill in at third. Dunn plays some backup first base and OF.

Seems like that would be an okay bench. A more experienced backup catcher would be nice. Looks like Jordan Danks could be odd man out.
Not so much as even an average hitter on that bench, unless Gillespie can hit (and if he can he won't be on the bench for long)
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Ramirez started 157 games last year so a back up SS is only needed for 5 or so games barring injury.
Maybe he started 157 games last year due to lack of options.

Or maybe Ramirez will hit better if he had more rest.

Bob
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Not so much as even an average hitter on that bench, unless Gillespie can hit (and if he can he won't be on the bench for long)
It's a bench. That's usually why players are on the bench. Because they are below average hitters.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM
WSI Personality

Default Wise

When Wise puts on a White Sox uniform he turns from
Journeyman. into Superman. I don't mind having him on the bench.

Gillaspie might be a good find and hope that Morel stays healthy. Defensively, not a bad bench.
Lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
WSI Personality

Lets be honest here, it doesn't matter if we lose Morel. He can't hit and has the slowest bat in the majors. Sorry, someone had to say it.

Jeff

1.Cubs

3. Indians

2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox
Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
I remember that game well. Crede started at SS and Widger at 3B. When Crede got ejected (HP umpire Wendlestedt said Crede did not make an attempt to get out of the way when HBP), Timo entered the game in RF and Dye moved from RF to SS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00504270.shtml
I too remember that game well. I watched from my hospital room as I recovered from diverticulitus. I seem to remember that Ozzie said he was very close to activating himself to start at SS that day. They just didn't want to drop a player to get Ozzie back on the 40 man roster.

With KW considering making Konerko a player/manager last year, the Sox could have had 3 out of the last 4 player-managers in Don Kessinger, Ozzie Guillen, and Paul Konerko, with Pete Rose being the other one.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
I too remember that game well. I watched from my hospital room as I recovered from diverticulitus. I seem to remember that Ozzie said he was very close to activating himself to start at SS that day. They just didn't want to drop a player to get Ozzie back on the 40 man roster.

With KW considering making Konerko a player/manager last year, the Sox could have had 3 out of the last 4 player-managers in Don Kessinger, Ozzie Guillen, and Paul Konerko, with Pete Rose being the other one.
Ozzie Guillen was never a player-manager, he was a former player who became a manager.

Go Sox!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Ozzie Guillen was never a player-manager, he was a former player who became a manager.
I think he was saying that if Guillen had activated himself to play SS that game, that would have given the Sox a player-manager for that game.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzer31 View Post
Lets be honest here, it doesn't matter if we lose Morel. He can't hit and has the slowest bat in the majors. Sorry, someone had to say it.

Jeff
His bat isn't extremely quick, but it's definitely not slow enough to even put it in discussion for slowest bat in the Majors. He has a pretty decent swing actually. If you're judging from last year, he was playing though extreme pain where he couldn't cut lose on a swing and messed up his mechanics in the process. He was basically just trying to put the bat on the ball. He could barely hit a line drive.

Morel would be a very fringe starter offensively at 3B and his defense could possibly keep him in a starting role. If you don't agree, look at Crede's numbers. He didn't have a good offensive season until 2006. But what I was getting at, Morel would be a plus bat off the bench. Trying to make him more versatile is a great idea.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I know a lot of people are making snarky comments about this, but Ventura did clearly say during Soxfest several times that he was considering using Morel as a backup shortstop. I heard it with my own ears, so it was definitely discussed over the winter, and seemingly Ventura is somewhat serious. In fact, I think Hahn talked about it in one of the seminars as well, talking about how valuable Morel would be as a backup second baseman or shortstop. Unfortunately either nobody remembers that or the media just simply did not pick up on the comment in January. It was discussed though.
I wasn't aware of the Soxfest comments until your post. Of course, it enchances Morel's chances to stay in the majors if he can back up at second and short. If you are a position player who isn't starting, you are hurting your team's bench if you only have one position. That is one of the reasons the Giants had to trade Gillaspie.

Still, Hahn took a backup shortstop in the Rule 5 draft, and Morel didn't play any position but third last year in Charlotte. Having a third baseman who can back up other positions including shortstop and building a 25-man roster with that player as your backup shortstop are two different things.

If Morel were to be the second shortstop on the team, I wouldn't expect him to make the 25-man roster coming out of this spirng training.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
WSI Personality

Default Increase his trade value?

Nobody brought up this possibility. By having him playing SS it makes Morel more useful for another team. morel's defense alone might be nice for a team. Could be shopping him.

Alexei plays most of the time anyways. Gillaspie backup third and for now Angel Sanchez backups at short.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzer31 View Post

Jeff
I don't see what there is to apologize for, I can't believe anyone's watched the Sox in the last 2 years and not concluded that, at best, on a good team, Brent Morel is a fringe starter.