White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Default This is too ripe for WSI sarcasm

The Cubs want to change the music and other in-game forms of entertainment.

Apparently one of the 7th Inning Stretch singers last year went into the booth for his in-game interview and said he hates baseball. Nice.

All hail The Rick
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Apparently one of the 7th Inning Stretch singers last year went into the booth for his in-game interview and said he hates baseball. Nice.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's funny, because it's a double edged sword /Catch 22 for the Cubs and their fanbase.

Yes, so many many things about the Cubs games are stupid, lame, etc. The Go Cubs Go song, the guest conductor of the 7th inning stretch, and on and on and on. But it's a part of what everyone calls the "Wrigley Experience", along with the rooftops, the weeds on the wall, the old scoreboard, not having a jumbotron (which of course makes the baseball there so much more purer than anywhere else), the grown men standing around on Waveland and Sheffield hoping to catch a homerun. Over the last few years, the Rickets have said it won't be the same old Cubby way at Wrigley, they'll be doing everything they can to modernize and bring more up to date amenities to Wrigley. They're trying to get more nightgames, the whole fight with the rooftop owners, putting an electronic scoreboard in right field, etc.

The thing is, all of these and other lame things that make the "Wrigley Experience" or the "Cubby Experience" are the reason why the Cubs are popular, and rake in the cash from the tourists, yuppies, fratboys and trixies. Stripped of all or many of these things, the Cubs are nothing but a really really lousy baseball team, with the worst history in all four pro sports. Oh what are the poor little Cubbies to do ?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

If they're looking for a new song to play that has Chicago connections and fits the whole franchise, how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxH9-TYseY

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
If they're looking for a new song to play that has Chicago connections and fits the whole franchise, how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxH9-TYseY

"I am an American aquarium drinker/ I assassin down the avenues" might be hitting it too close to home for fans of Mark Grace.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Reading this reminds me of when Jeff Gordon referred to Wrigley Field as "Wrigley Stadium" during his 7th inning stretch a few years ago.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

You know, after thinking about this story (it's been all over the local media the past couple of days), I have the following thoughts:
1. This is what was missing which kept the Cubs out of the World Series. Now they are The Team of Destiny.
2. When you read number 1 above, then you have to wonder where Ricketts and Theo have their heads. They say they are building a winning team which will compete at the highest level in 3 or 4 or 5 or is it 7? years from now. Why are they concerned with this? They sell 3,000,000 tickets already each season. They cannot focus on what needs to be done to build a winner, they are too focused on the show they put on for the fans who really "don't care if we win or lose, just take me out to the ballgame..."

Glad to see the Sox address important issues like player development-that is what builds a winner.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Glad to see the Sox address important issues like player development-that is what builds a winner.
The Cubs looney business decisions are good fodder, but I'm not sure I agree with this point. The Sox basically haven't done anything in terms of player development from this point a year ago; they drafted a good high school hitter who is still years away from reaching the Show and even then, the farm system is still one of the worst in the league; the only thing that saves it from being rock bottom again is that a few other teams promoted some superstar talent out of their systems.

The Cubs, for all their off-field hilarity, actually are building something on the baseball side. Got a good pair of 23-year-olds already in the Majors, arguably a Top 10 farm system that made one of the biggest leaps forward last year, and they hold the #2 overall pick in the 2013 Draft.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Whatever they do, they should stop playing that Go Cubs Go song. That song is lame. I know, the Cubs are lame and therefore it's a perfect match and in a way it is the perfect "Cubs win but they still blow" song, but acknowledging it with a cheesy 80's song is just too over the top.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Cubs looney business decisions are good fodder, but I'm not sure I agree with this point. The Sox basically haven't done anything in terms of player development from this point a year ago; they drafted a good high school hitter who is still years away from reaching the Show and even then, the farm system is still one of the worst in the league; the only thing that saves it from being rock bottom again is that a few other teams promoted some superstar talent out of their systems.

The Cubs, for all their off-field hilarity, actually are building something on the baseball side. Got a good pair of 23-year-olds already in the Majors, arguably a Top 10 farm system that made one of the biggest leaps forward last year, and they hold the #2 overall pick in the 2013 Draft.
Hopefully, the Hahn administration will reverse this trend as far as the Sox' poor farm system is concerned.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

I totally agree. I like to laugh at the Cubs as much as anyone, but at least they are working on shoring up their organization. I'm in no way predicting that Theo will succeed, but at least they're doing something. The Sox seem to have settled in to a recipe for mediocrity.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cubs make the playoffs before the Sox.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I totally agree. I like to laugh at the Cubs as much as anyone, but at least they are working on shoring up their organization. I'm in no way predicting that Theo will succeed, but at least they're doing something. The Sox seem to have settled in to a recipe for mediocrity.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cubs make the playoffs before the Sox.
You think you'll get flamed? If Ricketts and Theo are successful then the Sox might as well leave town. If the Cubs actually do ever win anything, even a pennant, the whole sports world, especially the media will do endless summersaults. Their fans will act like the Cubs have become the Yankees, Boston fans will be nothing compared to it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
You think you'll get flamed? If Ricketts and Theo are successful then the Sox might as well leave town. If the Cubs actually do ever win anything, even a pennant, the whole sports world, especially the media will do endless summersaults. Their fans will act like the Cubs have become the Yankees, Boston fans will be nothing compared to it.
Everyone said the same thing when the Tribune Company, Dallas Green, Jim Frey, Larry Himes, Ed Lynch, Andy McPhail and Jim Hendry took over the front office. Meanwhile the parade goes on...
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Without any mention of the premature nature, Cubbie manager Dale Phlegm says the Cubbie Cubans are living up to the hype.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Celebrities singing at Wrigley is history

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cubs-oz...3973--mlb.html
I, for one, am surprised at this.