White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Yeah, no matter how many disclaimers are in the post (when you say "not meant to be a diss" and "no offense, but" you know you're dissing and offending) it's pretty bold to complain about the interviews that Lip provides for free on a board that you're posting on for free.
Wow, that was really uncalled for. I also wrote that I didn't mean to come across as too demanding. Do you really think it's necessary to call me out on something that I later apologized for, or are you just havin' a bad day? It's an honest question, doubtful that you'll answer it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
By the way if any fans have contact info for former Sox players they'd like to share you can contact me directly with that info. Please be as complete and accurate as possible. (Don't just say, I know Rich Morales lives in California. It's hard to do anything with that.)

I have some reliable contact info for the following people:

(...remarkable list...)

The odds are though that at least some of the info I have is incorrect and I may not be able to contact some of the folks that I have listed
Lip, I want to echo Lamp81's original post and say how much I appreciate the interviews. I'm impressed at your ability to find the interview subjects and at the specificity of the questions. Your handle on Sox history makes them great reading.

I have a friend who's a general-interest journalist, and he's told me that in his experience once someone has been contacted for an interview they're almost always cooperative. But he also said that it falls apart quickly if the interviewer doesn't know what he's talking about or if it's obvious he hasn't prepared. Thatís clearly not a problem in these.

For me, Pete Wardís interview a couple of years ago provided great background when I learned he was going to be at SoxFest this year. Ward was a favorite from my youth; in those days my dad and I debated about his skill. I got to talk to him briefly after he joked about his defensive limitations at one of the seminars. I told him I always thought he was a better fielder than my father did, and he thanked me. Reading the interview gave me insight into his playing days that I wouldnít have gotten otherwise.

My choice from that list of contacts would be Dave Nicholson. I remember how he was hyped when he came to the Sox and how badly he flopped when he played. His record is what it is, but Iíd love to read how he dealt with that experience and what he did after baseball. Itís those kinds of stories that flesh out the bigger picture and make the interviews work.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Wow, that was really uncalled for. I also wrote that I didn't mean to come across as too demanding. Do you really think it's necessary to call me out on something that I later apologized for, or are you just havin' a bad day? It's an honest question, doubtful that you'll answer it.
I didn't see your subsequent one liner. But seriously, when you feel it's necessary to put in your post things like "not meant to be a diss" and "no offense, but" and referring to the interviews as "some random dude" you should really think about whether to hit the "submit reply" button, since you apparently already know that the post is going to be potentially offensive.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
WSI Guru

Teb:

Many thanks. "Big Nick" would make an interesting subject. Al Lopez made the comment to save his first box score with the Sox because someday it would be in the Hall of Fame. Had tremendous power but could never make contact enough to be a factor (outside of 1963).

Jim Landis told me that one time after a game where he struck out three or four times, he turned the shower knobs for the hot and cold water so tight after he was through that nobody else could get them open so water could flow and they could take a shower!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM
WSI Regular

Well Lip, I found some Dennis Lamp info. As of January 2011, he was working in a Newport Beach grocery store.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan...crowe-20110131

If your travels take you to Newport Beach, stop by and ask to interview Dennis L.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Not meant to be a diss, but can you do an interview with someone that's a "Fan Favorite" and not just "Random Dude Who Was Available and Tracked Down"? No offense, but Marc Hill was never that spectacular of a player on either side of the plate, whereas Karkovice was a great defensive catcher who played on some good teams in the 90s and might be an interesting read.

Joe Crede would be a good get. Rudy Law might be kinda fun. James Baldwin would be pretty funny. Just some suggestions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
You do realize that this is not Lip's "job" but strictly a volunteer effort- marc Hill was a beloved back up on a very meaningful team (1983)- and if you read the actuall interview- its pretty interesting.
Let me just add one other thought on this, as I read a lot of books and interviews about famous sports team or memorable eras. Sometimes the most insightful interviews aren't with the best athletes, but with the guys who were on the periphery taking it all in.

When I'm reading about the '83 Sox, I want to see as many angles and hear as many voices as I can. A guy like Marc Hill can have some great perspective on a team like that.

For some reason, you're equating talent on the field with interview insight, which is really, really silly. Karkovice was a better defensive catcher, so that makes him funnier or more anecdotal or have a better memory for more stories, etc? Of course not.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
Well Lip, I found some Dennis Lamp info. As of January 2011, he was working in a Newport Beach grocery store.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan...crowe-20110131

If your travels take you to Newport Beach, stop by and ask to interview Dennis L.
Great find. Fun story.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Richie Zisk. I loved being a fan of the Southside Hitmen. Would be intrigued to see what it was like being a player on that team.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
WSI Guru

Everything I've been told and some of what I've seen tells me that Richie is not responding to requests from the Sox, Sox web sites or fans. I'm hearing he is still angry at the way he feels he was treated after he left the team.

Lip
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Lip,

Zisk would have the right place and right interviewer to finally get things off his chest.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
WSI Personality

Default Lamarr Hoyt

He was involved in the trade that brought Ozzie to the White Sox organization. Without that trade, no championship for us in 2005.

And we traded Bucky Dent to get Hoyt from the Yankees.

And guess who was going to pitch game 5 in the playoffs in 1983 if that series would have went 5 games.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM
WSI Guru

I have a number for LaMarr in South Carolina and actually spoke to him once. When I called that number again it rang and rang and no one answered. Haven't been able to reach him since.

Lip
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I would like to see him interview the CEO of the White Sox, Jerry Reinsdorf. Have an extensive interview with him which will focus on the future of the White Sox franchise. There have been conflicting stories about who will take over the White Sox in the future. Interviewing Reinsdorf about the future of the White Sox should interest all White Sox fans.
two thumbs up!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
WSI Guru

Would love to get JR for a few hours but that's probably not going to happen. He schedules interviews on his own terms and I've never heard of him doing something with a 'non official' Sox site. Basically mainstream media members and that's it.

Lip
Old 04-17-2013, 10:57 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Perri Irmer, former executive director of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority as the last interview here. Then on to 60 minutes sports.