White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I really thought a Dick Allen interview was on the way considering the connect Lip had with him at the 72 reunion.

The one I would like is an interview with Ed DeBartolo Jr. I would love to know what really went on when the DeBartolo family almost bought the Sox. And of course to dream what could have been.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Regular

I notice that Jim Rivera is on your list. He is now 90 years old . I think he would be an interesting interview from the 1959 team.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sticking with the 1983 theme, I'd like to see Lip interview Tony Bernazard. He was a solid player for the Sox then got traded mid-season for our igniter -- Julio Cruz. It would be interesting to hear about what it was like to be traded from a team that seemingly gelled after he left. After his playing days were over, Tony had an eventful stint as an assistant general manager for the Mets under Omar Minaya.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
WSI High Priest

would be really cool if someone like Kenny Williams did a twitter style interview between Lip and Members of WSI. Could you imagine what that would do for hits/paid members on this site?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Banned

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I really thought a Dick Allen interview was on the way considering the connect Lip had with him at the 72 reunion.

The one I would like is an interview with Ed DeBartolo Jr. I would love to know what really went on when the DeBartolo family almost bought the Sox. And of course to dream what could have been.
That is one I'd also like to read.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Not meant to be a diss, but can you do an interview with someone that's a "Fan Favorite" and not just "Random Dude Who Was Available and Tracked Down"? No offense, but Marc Hill was never that spectacular of a player on either side of the plate, whereas Karkovice was a great defensive catcher who played on some good teams in the 90s and might be an interesting read.

Joe Crede would be a good get. Rudy Law might be kinda fun. James Baldwin would be pretty funny. Just some suggestions...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Not meant to be a diss, but can you do an interview with someone that's a "Fan Favorite" and not just "Random Dude Who Was Available and Tracked Down"? No offense, but Marc Hill was never that spectacular of a player on either side of the plate, whereas Karkovice was a great defensive catcher who played on some good teams in the 90s and might be an interesting read.

Joe Crede would be a good get. Rudy Law might be kinda fun. James Baldwin would be pretty funny. Just some suggestions...
You do realize that this is not Lip's "job" but strictly a volunteer effort- marc Hill was a beloved back up on a very meaningful team (1983)- and if you read the actuall interview- its pretty interesting.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Banned

TB72 -- You're right. Just some suggestions on my part, sorry if I seemed too demanding.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI Guru

Folks:

Again the single biggest factor is if I can track a player down. I've spent hours looking on the internet for certain players and come up empty, I've spent a few minutes looking for someone and found him.

It's not an exact science. Sorry. It's not like I can call the Sox and say, "hey give me this info." That's confidential. My sources who used to be a big help at the Tribune no longer work there.

Once I find a player then I take stock if I think he'd be a good interview. Was he with the club for a period of time, or just a season...was he part of some memorable clubs...was he involved in a historic play or situation.

Frankly sometimes I decide (not often) on an interview because I LIKED THE GUY.

Since I'm doing the work (and between doing the interview, transcribing it and formatting what I typed it takes about eight hours) I figure I've got the right to talk to whom I want every now and again.

Like I said earlier I'm ready to get back after it and appreciate the thoughts. Hopefully if things are worked out we can resume soon.

Lip
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Tony La Russa. It would be interesting to hear about 1983 and 1990 in particular.
Seconded
Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Did the fans really treat Zisk that badly when he left? I heard he doesn't sign autographs, something about being the victim of identity theft. I'd love to see Zisk return as a Soxfest guest and I know he'd be popular among collectors. I think people only have positive memories of the guy and that '77 season.
I was at a game im 1979 where Zisk received a roound of boos from the Sox fans.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
The Booter was very popular with the fans, but you're too young to know that.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
WSI Personality

Jack Smalling claims to have the home addresses' of over 88% of all living ex-major league players:

http://www.baseballaddresses.com/
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
WSI Guru

For a price and what I actually need are phone numbers. I have no idea how many of them are accurate.

Lip
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
You do realize that this is not Lip's "job" but strictly a volunteer effort- marc Hill was a beloved back up on a very meaningful team (1983)- and if you read the actuall interview- its pretty interesting.
Yeah, no matter how many disclaimers are in the post (when you say "not meant to be a diss" and "no offense, but" you know you're dissing and offending) it's pretty bold to complain about the interviews that Lip provides for free on a board that you're posting on for free.