White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM
WSI Regular

Default Who would you like to see be Lip's next interview

I have always enjoyed Lip's interviews. I was thinking of who I'd like to see Lip interview next. My 1st two choices would be from the 1983 team, that is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Western Division Championship. So what person, connected with the White Sox, would you like to see Lip interview next?

Greg Luzinski, who grew up in the Chicago area, played on some great Phillies teams and then finished his career back home with the White Sox. I'd love to hear what he has been up to since he retired (I seem to remember he was on the Royals coaching staff at one point). I'd also like to hear what his experiences in coming back to Chicago to finsih his career.

As evidenced by my name, I'd also like to hear from Dennis Lamp. Dennis came to the Sox in a rare trade with the Cubs. In 1981 he pitched a memorable 1 hitter against the Brewers. I've liked Lamp since he presented me with a trophy for my 1st place Little League team in 1981. In the Q&A session that he held, I asked him what he thought of Greg Luzinski as a teammate, which he said something to the effect that Bull is a great teammate. Please forgive my question, as I was 9 years old at the time.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned

Steve Kemp! Richard Dotson! Phil Bradley!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Richie Zisk.

Jerry Dybzinski.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM
WSI Personality

Default The CEO

I would like to see him interview the CEO of the White Sox, Jerry Reinsdorf. Have an extensive interview with him which will focus on the future of the White Sox franchise. There have been conflicting stories about who will take over the White Sox in the future. Interviewing Reinsdorf about the future of the White Sox should interest all White Sox fans.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
In the Q&A session that he held, I asked him what he thought of Greg Luzinski as a teammate, which he said something to the effect that Bull is a great teammate. Please forgive my question, as I was 9 years old at the time.
Hard hitting journalism!

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Some of the guys from the "Southside Hitmen" of 1977- Richie Zisk, Alan Bannister, Lamar Johnson, Lerrin LaGrow, Ralph Garr, etc.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM
WSI Guru

This and that:

Lamp thanks for the kind words. One of the most important items in determining who I interview is if I can actually contact said person.

The White Sox generally haven't been that helpful when it comes down to giving out personal information of that type (understandably so) Often I have to prowl the internet or call former interview subjects to see if they can give me the names or phone numbers of former teammates who might be willing to share their memories.

I'm prepared to restart interviews and such as soon as my broadcasting basketball is over but that's also going to depend on some other things getting worked out with others.

If that comes to pass, I'd be happy to do interviews, begin new "audio memories" stories focusing on a particular decade with radio cuts and so on.

We'll see, hopefully things get done soon. It's been awhile!

Regarding the names specifically listed in the previous posts before mine.

I do have some contract info for Greg and Richard (don't know how accurate it is) Zisk has basically become a hermit and from what I understand wants little to do with the Sox, perhaps because of the way he feels he was treated by the fans after he left. Dibber, last I heard lives in Colorado and is a minister although again I don't have specifics for him. Have no idea what happened to or where Kemp or Bradley are.

As far as JR, that's one of the people on my 'dream list' of interviews along with people like Aparicio, Allen and Fisk...but the reality is JR doesn't do a lot of those extensive type interviews and he certainly isn't going to do them with a person representing a web site. I've let some folks know that I'd love to speak to him or Einhorn at length but unfortunately I just don't think that's going to happen.

Lip
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Guru

By the way if any fans have contact info for former Sox players they'd like to share you can contact me directly with that info. Please be as complete and accurate as possible. (Don't just say, I know Rich Morales lives in California. It's hard to do anything with that.)

I have some reliable contact info for the following people:

Dick Allen
Hank Allen
Buddy Bradford
Tom Bradley
Wayne Causey
Bucky Dent
Rich Dotson
Eddie Fisher
Oscar Gamble
Goose Gossage
Jack Harshman
Gail Hopkins
Bruce Howard
LaMarr Hoyt
Tommy John
Lamar Johnson
Lance Johnson
Bob Locker
Turk Lown
Greg Luzinski
Jim McAnany
Charlie "Paw-Paw" Maxwell
Ken McBride
Jerry McNertney
Matt Merullo
Rich Morales
Jim Morrison
Dave Nicholson
Jorge Orta
Rick Reichardt
"Jungle" Jim Rivera
Johnny Romano
Marv Rothblatt
Roy Sievers
Ed Spiezio
Al Weis
Jeff Cox

The odds are though that at least some of the info I have is incorrect and I may not be able to contact some of the folks that I have listed.

Lip
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM
WSI Personality

Tony La Russa. It would be interesting to hear about 1983 and 1990 in particular.

Bobby Thigpen. Would love to hear about coming through the system as both a player and as a coach. I'd like to know what he thinks of some of the pitchers we have in the system that he has worked with.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Did the fans really treat Zisk that badly when he left? I heard he doesn't sign autographs, something about being the victim of identity theft. I'd love to see Zisk return as a Soxfest guest and I know he'd be popular among collectors. I think people only have positive memories of the guy and that '77 season.

If you could talk to Dybzinski about the '83 team and, of course, his baserunning blunder, that would be awesome. He's sort of our Bartman. I wonder how he's dealt with a mistake that people still talk about. I was at Game 4 of the '83 playoffs and met him by the players parking lot after the game while I was seeking autographs. He looked lost.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
As far as JR, that's one of the people on my 'dream list' of interviews along with people like Aparicio, Allen and Fisk...but the reality is JR doesn't do a lot of those extensive type interviews and he certainly isn't going to do them with a person representing a web site. I've let some folks know that I'd love to speak to him or Einhorn at length but unfortunately I just don't think that's going to happen.

Lip
I think if you ever got Reinsdorf, that would be your white whale. You'd have to retire after that.

Garfein did a pretty good sit down interview with Reinsdorf about a year ago on Comcast. It was a great interview, but I'm sure JR felt very safe with Chuck.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
WSI Regular

Another great interview would be with Kenny Williams. I'd think that Kenny has a little more free time now, and Lip would have a better chance of getting him to talk, maybe even better if you said the interview will stay away fom his tenure as GM.

I know I'd love to hear from KW on his playing career. He was a College Football player who chose the baseball route. He was labled a "Can't Miss" prospect, who did "miss". He started out as an outfielder who was shifted to 3B. Does KW think that had any part of his failed playing career?

What's it like to be a father on an NFL player (Kyle Williams of the 49ers) who has been the Goat of an NFC Championship game, and now that has suffered concussions. Are Kenny and Kyle afraid of the brain issues that have come down the road for NFL players with multiple concussions? Did Kenny ever try and steer Kyle to baseball like he and his other sons have done?

I just think there is a lot there to hear from KW, w/o going into his GM tenure, but that too would be a goldmine as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM
WSI Guru

Lamp:

I suspect Kenny is one of those basically off-limits to folks like myself who aren't associated with the mainstream media. I'd certainly love to speak with him but there's no way I could do that interview and not discuss his tenure as a G.M.

I've asked the Sox and the person in charge of the phone interviews with web site representatives if he could schedule someone other than Buddy Bell, Brooks Boyer or a minor league player from Double-AA. Nothing against those folks but Buddy's been on twice, Brooks three times and the minor league players to my knowledge have never made it up to the Sox.

Some different subjects would be much appreciated but again that may simply be off limits to us.

Lip
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Bob Locker, if only so you could ask him if he remembered 3 little grade school dip****s calling him up at his personal residence and chatting for 10-15 minutes, some 45+ years ago. He send us back 3 autographed postcard-sized black & white pictures that are probably still at my mom's house.

SMO
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

LaMarr Hoyt would be an interesting interview.

Lip, I enjoyed the Pete Ward interview. I didn't know much about him, nor could I find out much through internet searches etc. I wondered what injuries he had, and why his career essentialy ended before he was 30, especially after such a great start.