White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Personality

http://milbprospective.wordpress.com...l-other-stuff/

Courtney is up to 235 lbs! That's incredible size for a CF, but I guess he could be moved to a corner spot if he outgrows the spot.

The best part about Courtney is that he isn't the project that guys like Jared, Trayce, and to some degree Walker are/were. He's played baseball year round for so long that he is fairly polished. High School baseball is huge in Corpus Cristi, as some games get 7,000+

Not that I expect to see Hawkins in the Majors in the next few seasons, but he will and has had a smoother transition to professional baseball than some of our more recent position players that were high draft picks.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
http://milbprospective.wordpress.com...l-other-stuff/

Courtney is up to 235 lbs! That's incredible size for a CF, but I guess he could be moved to a corner spot if he outgrows the spot.

The best part about Courtney is that he isn't the project that guys like Jared, Trayce, and to some degree Walker are/were. He's played baseball year round for so long that he is fairly polished. High School baseball is huge in Corpus Cristi, as some games get 7,000+

Not that I expect to see Hawkins in the Majors in the next few seasons, but he will and has had a smoother transition to professional baseball than some of our more recent position players that were high draft picks.
I thought he was a corner OF to begin with.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
?

He played 53 games in CF last year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=hawkin000cou
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
His power projects to a corner OF, but his athleticism is suited to CF. Kid is a freak.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
His power projects to a corner OF, but his athleticism is suited to CF. Kid is a freak.
From all I've read, his final defensive destination will be in a corner OF spot.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
From all I've read, his final defensive destination will be in a corner OF spot.
You never know, but yeah, people are talking RF because of his gun.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Many of those teams you rattled off are new to the Top 10, though, but it still doesn't answer the question of what does having a good farm system have to do with Major League success? I don't get what correlation you're trying to make.

And, of course, just because the Red Sox have a nice stable of prospects doesn't mean they have a bevy of MLB ready guys. There are plenty of reasons why teams choose to be conservative with their minor league players developmentally and contractually. Ask Gordon Beckham how well it works when you get rushed to the Show.
If you are a higher payroll team having a good bevy of prospects can be a huge advantage. Need that player to put you over the top, trade a lower payroll team a couple prospects that wouldn't make your team anyway. If your a lower payroll team you better have a good farm system . No margin for error. In my opinion, the Sox farm system probably has cost them a couple playoff spots over recent history. Top heavy, and no depth on the bench or players ready to come up and make an impact. When the Sox need players other than starters to fill in at a high level or come in and play to rest starters, it doesn't happen. The value of having good players ready to play that don't cost that much is huge. Someone who reads Baseball Prospectus should know all this.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

Can anyone who is well read on the Sox system provide any potential break out players this year? Any picks past the first couple rounds that may surprise us?

I like what I have seen from Joey DeMichele. Chris Beck was supposed to have decent potential right?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Chris Beck was supposed to have decent potential right?
Yep. He was largely considered a top 10 pick at the beginning of the year predraft. Supposedly he bulked up too much and it significantly effected his mechanics and performance.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Yep. He was largely considered a top 10 pick at the beginning of the year predraft. Supposedly he bulked up too much and it significantly effected his mechanics and performance.
I have read that he is gaining back some of the flexibility that had hindered his sucess last year at Gerogia Southern. I am hoping he can get back to his highly touted level and even improve from there. IMO, Beck and maybe Olacio (significantly smaller chance) are the only pitchers who could eventually grow into a top half of the rotation starter. I hope Beck has a good year and breaks through threshold of Johnsons and Snodgresssssss of the world.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Have a friend who scouts for ESPN and runs the website prospectinsider with Jason Churchill. He told me Beck was interesting, stock had fallen, he sees him as a high floor guy, but doesnt have the stuff to break the top half of the rotation, but would not shock to be a decent 3-5 man.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 PM
MMXXIII

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but this list has been out for about a week and HEY, we have a BA Top 100 Prospect again...

#55 Courtney Hawkins

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...3/2614739.html

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Pretty much. Rowand was drafted in the 1998, since then here's the entire list of position players the Sox have drafted, signed, and have gotten to the Majors. I'm excluding guys who were drafted but didn't sign and were drafted again later by other teams. This is THE ENTIRE LIST for the last 15 years in order of career WAR to this point. Players bolded are the ones who reached the Majors still with the Sox... May want to send women and small children into another room, boy, is this going to be ugly...
  1. Chris Young - 2001 - 13.4 WAR
  2. Mike Morse - 2000 - 5.1 WAR
  3. Ryan Sweeney - 2003 - 5.0 WAR
  4. Gordon Beckham - 2008 - 3.5 WAR
  5. Chris Stewart - 2001 - 1.7 WAR
  6. Jeremy Reed - 2002 - 1.1 WAR
  7. Chris Getz - 2005 - 0.8 WAR
  8. Brent Morel - 2008 - 0.5 WAR
  9. Donny Lucy - 2004 - 0.1 WAR
  10. Jordan Danks - 2008 - (0.2) WAR
  11. Brian Anderson - 2003 - (0.6) WAR
  12. Chris Carter - 2005 - (0.6) WAR
  13. Brandon Allen - 2004 - (1.2) WAR
  14. Josh Fields - 2004 - (1.4) WAR
  15. Andy Gonzalez - 2001 - (1.9) WAR
I kind of thought maybe they gave up on Josh Fields too early. Just my opinion.