White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Hotels for Sox/Nats series in DC?

I'm planning a road trip with a few of my friends to DC to catch at least the first two games of the Sox/Nationals series in early April. Was wondering if anyone who has been to DC knows of any decent hotels near the park? The cheaper the better. Thanks!

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Guru

There isn't much around the park. Hotels in the district itself will probably be more expensive than in the surrounding area. I'd look either in Arlington or Alexandria, either Old Town or Crystal City especially; those areas are just as easily accessible to the Metro.

Let me know if you have any other questions about DC, I lived there for 2 years.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Stay in Crystal City. It's a neighborhood in Arlington right by Reagan airport. It's a short train ride from the stadium and the hotels there are cheap but high quality.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Stay in Crystal City. It's a neighborhood in Arlington right by Reagan airport. It's a short train ride from the stadium and the hotels there are cheap but high quality.
Have't been to a Nats game but took my wife to the Billy Joel/Elton John concert at their stadium a few years back (didn't want to give the Cubs money by seeing it at Wrigley).

Stayed at the Crystal City Hilton in Arlington. Free shuttle to/from Reagan Airport, and walking distance to Metro, which has a stop at Navy Yard, which is near CF of the ball park. Found DC's transportation system to be VERY convenient! Looking forward to going back.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Yeah, I actually live in Crystal City. You take the Yellow Line from Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza, then you switch to the Green Line and take it two stops.

EDIT: one last plug. If you stay in Crystal City, make sure to visit Kabob Palace, a 24-hour Afghan restaurant. The food is amazing and I doubt there is anything else like it in the US. It should be within easy walking distance of any hotel in the neighborhood. Yelp link: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kabob-palace-arlington-2 (ignore the 11 PM closing time listed on Yelp: this place is open 24 hours a day, every day)

Last edited by HomeFish; 02-17-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
MMXXIII

I've always found Priceline's Name Your Own Price to be very reliable for traveling on a budget. As long as you end up within walking distance of a DC Metro stop you won't have any trouble getting to and from the ballpark and there's so much non-baseball stuff to do in Washington, you don't want to spend your trip eating Papa John's pizza with a case of Budweiser chilling in a tub full of ice water in some Holiday Inn Express in suburban Virginia.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I've always found Priceline's Name Your Own Price to be very reliable for traveling on a budget. As long as you end up within walking distance of a DC Metro stop you won't have any trouble getting to and from the ballpark and there's so much non-baseball stuff to do in Washington, you don't want to spend your trip eating Papa John's pizza with a case of Budweiser chilling in a tub full of ice water in some Holiday Inn Express in suburban Virginia.
I echo these thoughts. I go to DC at least once a year and as long as you stay near a metro stop, you should be fine. DC is a great city with tons of restaurants, museums (most are free btw), and other things to see.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've been in the DC area many years now and there's plenty of options like others have said. The walk from the nearest metro stops isn't bad at all, so you can stay anywhere you like. If you do stay over in Alexandria, etc I know there are water taxis too which are kind of fun, but might still be chilly in April.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
Have't been to a Nats game but took my wife to the Billy Joel/Elton John concert at their stadium a few years back (didn't want to give the Cubs money by seeing it at Wrigley).

Stayed at the Crystal City Hilton in Arlington. Free shuttle to/from Reagan Airport, and walking distance to Metro, which has a stop at Navy Yard, which is near CF of the ball park. Found DC's transportation system to be VERY convenient! Looking forward to going back.
I stayed in this exact hotel the last time I was in DC for work, easy access to the airport and metro. Some decent restaurants near the hotel itself and of course all that DC has to offer.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Regular

The only problem I heard with the new stadium is to watch for that last train leaving the ballpark or you will be stuck. If the game is lengthy or goes into extra innings fans have to leave to catch the last train - I'm not positive about the last train time but find out just in case we beat the Nats 1-0 in 12 innings.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

If you get stuck at Nats Park after the metro stops running (around 11 PM - midnight on weeknights), your best bet is to find the "Circulator" bus, that runs 24 hours and will take you to a part of DC where you can catch a cab back to your hotel.

The cab stand at the stadium will have super long lines in this scenario.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI Regular

We stayed at the Days Inn in Arlington a few years ago. It's not the Ritz, but it's near a train station...