White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Have to agree with munch here.
Amazingly... so do I. I think that's like twice in one week!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Thank you. I haven't seen anyone here saying the Sox were the favorites to win the division. I have, however, seen people say that the Tigers winning isn't a 100% slam dunk because anything can happen during a 162 game season.
Wanna add a poll asking who's winning the Central?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Wanna add a poll asking who's winning the Central?
Start one yourself. I don't care about pre-season predictions, in case you hadn't noticed.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Start one yourself. I don't care about pre-season predictions, in case you hadn't noticed.
You can add it to this thread as a moderator, I mean.

I promise if you do it I will pick us.

Last edited by blandman; 02-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

This must be what talking to a wall feels like
And you, my friend, are the wall. Unless I wanted to take a nap I probably wouldn't read it. Only thing I know is, their predictor computer needs a tuneup because a local animal at the Zoo would probably be more accurate predicting the season. It seems like you want everyone to ackowledge how important this publication is in the baseball world on one hand, yet you dismiss their laughably innacurate computer calculations as just "one of the things they do ". Well, news flash, "they are really ,really bad at it",at least as far as the White Sox go. They need to get the calculators out of their pockets and do a redo on the old predictor model from what I know.

Last edited by mahagga73; 02-15-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
And you, my friend, are the wall. Unless I wanted to take a nap I probably wouldn't read it. Only thing I know is, their predictor computer needs a tuneup because a local animal at the Zoo would probably be more accurate predicting the season. It seems like you want everyone to ackowledge how important this publication is in the baseball world on one hand, yet you dismiss their laughably innacurate computer calculations as just "one of the things they do ". Well, news flash, "they are really ,really bad at it",at least as far as the White Sox go. They need to get the calculators out of their pockets and do a redo on the old predictor model from what I know.
Good Lord

Enjoy your self-inflicted ignorance
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Good Lord

Enjoy your self-inflicted ignorance
your a real piece of work, self-inflicted ignorance ,OF WHAT?rotfl.Out. You have something to do with that publication, a writer, know somebody , or something. Nobody reacts like they just had their mother insulted over a baseball rag like that unless there is some connection.

Last edited by mahagga73; 02-15-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
your a real piece of work, self-inflicted ignorance ,OF WHAT?rotfl.Out. You have something to do with that publication, a writer, know somebody , or something. Nobody reacts like they just had their mother insulted over a baseball rag like that unless there is some connection.
He's trying to explain where the results come from. They come from individual projections, which many people (even people working for major league clubs), take very seriously. There's so many players to get right that the team projections are usually a little further off. But they come from somewhere. And they are very relevant. Screaming about one team shows almost no understanding of the process at all.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Haven't checked the thread since I posted in page 11, what did I miss?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
Haven't checked the thread since I posted in page 11, what did I miss?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He's trying to explain where the results come from. They come from individual projections, which many people (even people working for major league clubs), take very seriously. There's so many players to get right that the team projections are usually a little further off. But they come from somewhere. And they are very relevant. Screaming about one team shows almost no understanding of the process at all.
But they're not, really. The individual projections are very relevant. They are worth paying attention too. It just doesn't work on the team level. It's a quirky little exercise that's there for fun, and nothing else. Again, individual projections can be used as a tool. I think even most of the people doing team projections would tell you that it's pretty meaningless. There are just way too many variables that can't be accounted for.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
But they're not, really. The individual projections are very relevant. They are worth paying attention too. It just doesn't work on the team level. It's a quirky little exercise that's there for fun, and nothing else. Again, individual projections can be used as a tool. I think even most of the people doing team projections would tell you that it's pretty meaningless. There are just way too many variables that can't be accounted for.
They're relevant in that they give a good idea about how a season should go. People scream about how off they are on the Sox, but 7 games is not a lot to be off if you understand the model. Then 2005 and a 19 game swing comes into play. But that's the exception there. A perfect storm of everything playing out perfectly for one season, aided by a weaker division.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Similar to VORP...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They're relevant in that they give a good idea about how a season should go. People scream about how off they are on the Sox, but 7 games is not a lot to be off if you understand the model. Then 2005 and a 19 game swing comes into play. But that's the exception there. A perfect storm of everything playing out perfectly for one season, aided by a weaker division.
Considering that 7 games is very often the difference between a division title and 3rd place, or drafting 3rd or drafting 14th, I'd say it's pretty far off.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Considering that 7 games is very often the difference between a division title and 3rd place, or drafting 3rd or drafting 14th, I'd say it's pretty far off.
And in divisions where the talent is close, evaluate as such. In divisions not as close, evaluate as such as well. It's why the Tigers have such a high percentage chance of winning the division this season according to BP. Talent in the division is not very close.