White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
As someone on Deadspin commented they could just offer to tweak the meaning of "redskins" and put an Idaho potato on their helmets.
Redskin potato:

Idaho potato:

/pedantry

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
As someone on Deadspin commented they could just offer to tweak the meaning of "redskins" and put an Idaho potato on their helmets.
I've been saying put a redskin potato on the helmet for a while now. You get to keep the name and color scheme, you can still call them the skins, and you can keep the "R" they use as an alt logo. You only have to remove the indian head logo. That, or change everything to something like the Senators with no connection to the past.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Redskin potato:

Idaho potato:

/pedantry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
I've been saying put a redskin potato on the helmet for a while now. You get to keep the name and color scheme, you can still call them the skins, and you can keep the "R" they use as an alt logo. You only have to remove the indian head logo. That, or change everything to something like the Senators with no connection to the past.
"Hail to the Tubers! Hail Victory..."
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
"Hail to the Tubers! Hail Victory..."
You could make this guy your mascot(obviously changing the helmet logo). Still better than the Bills mascot.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I would love to hear an explanation for this sentence.
All of the explanation that you need is in the post that you quoted.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
Haha, wow, yeah that's sort of a huge leap there, not assuming but telling Native Americans that they should be proud to be, essentially, a brand. Holy ****.
This whole issue goes a lot further back than that.

Some teams named themselves after native Americans because they epitomize bravery, honor, and were fierce warriors and that's what they wanted their sports team to represent.

This was before branding was a concern. Selling apparel and merchandise with Native Americans on it wasn't big business when these teams named themselves. I'm going way back to the beginning when I talk about honoring Native Americans by naming your sports team after them.

Edit: But, it's a good thing you mentioned branding because IMO that's the issue in play here. IMO this is more about money than it is dignity. This was always an issue but, it became bigger as the business of selling team-themed merchandise became bigger.

Is it because branding gave this issue more recognition? Or is it because those involved wanted a piece of the pie too? Maybe one or the other. Maybe both. Maybe neither. But, it is a factor IMO.

How over-sensitive the world has become is painfully aggrivating at times. This is just one of many examples of that.

But, where does this end?

Does PETA get involved next and say that teams named after animals must go?

Do French Canadians stand up and cry that the name "Montreal Canadiens" must go?

Do some Americans stand up and say that they take offense to the name "New York Yankees" and demand a name change?

The bottom line is, someone is always going to take offense to everything.

Do the opinions of the few outweigh the opinions of the many?

If done tastefully and respectfully (Blackhawks, Illini, Warriors, Seminoles, Chiefs, Braves etc. etc. etc.) and NOT in a racist way (Chief Wahoo logo and Redskins name) then I don't see the problem and IMO those against it look more like whiners than people standing up for an injustice.

Last edited by Thome25; 02-13-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Well...

I said I was reminded of the thread jeremyb1 started, not that it was exactly like it. I made the comparison because thome25 seemed to be trying to speak for Native Americans as though they're incapable of speaking for themselves, just as jeremyb1 was doing with Shingo.
Incapable of speaking for themselves? Jesus no one is on ****ing trial here. I speak for no one but myself.

It's called my opinion.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 AM
WSI Personality

This is a very touchy issue. After all, they were decimated and had their land taken from them. Some say that this isn't the usa, this is still native land that just happens to be illegally occupied by the white man. Can you argue against that?

Let's say if Scotland gets invaded by England, and now Scotland is no longer Scotland, but now just part of England. And then the English make a team called the Scots right in Glasgow, England. What do you think the reaction would be?

The white man conquered the red man in a very brutal, some say shameful, way. These logos are a reminder of that.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
This is a very touchy issue. After all, they were decimated and had their land taken from them. Some say that this isn't the usa, this is still native land that just happens to be illegally occupied by the white man. Can you argue against that?

Let's say if Scotland gets invaded by England, and now Scotland is no longer Scotland, but now just part of England. And then the English make a team called the Scots right in Glasgow, England. What do you think the reaction would be?

The white man conquered the red man in a very brutal, some say shameful, way. These logos are a reminder of that.
This is where I disagree. The tasteful names and logos were done as a tribute to Native Americans and their strength and heritage. Not the other way around.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Well...

I said I was reminded of the thread jeremyb1 started, not that it was exactly like it. I made the comparison because thome25 seemed to be trying to speak for Native Americans as though they're incapable of speaking for themselves, just as jeremyb1 was doing with Shingo.

Ahhh, well then I apologize. Just seemed like you were on the other side of that.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM
WSI High Priest

First, despite widespread myth, it is not a screaming Indian, but a smiling/laughing one.

Second, since posters in this thread have come out and said Native Americans should speak for themselves, one did:

http://www.macon.com/2013/01/05/2306...ck-indian.html

Atlanta might just be best ditching the Indian theme all together. Gone are the tomahawk chop, chief noc-a-home and others. Change the tomahawks to Halligan Bars and Axes and keep the name Braves as a tribute to firefighters.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
First, despite widespread myth, it is not a screaming Indian, but a smiling/laughing one.

Second, since posters in this thread have come out and said Native Americans should speak for themselves, one did:

http://www.macon.com/2013/01/05/2306...ck-indian.html

Atlanta might just be best ditching the Indian theme all together. Gone are the tomahawk chop, chief noc-a-home and others. Change the tomahawks to Halligan Bars and Axes and keep the name Braves as a tribute to firefighters.
I agree with this article 100%.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
You could make this guy your mascot(obviously changing the helmet logo). Still better than the Bills mascot.

/thread.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Official Professor

Folks, this is heading into the political. No more discussion of who stole what from whom, and who's occupying land illegally.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hopefully, Notre Dame is next. I'm not half leprechaun, you bastards!!