White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Braves Replace "Screaming Savage" ST Hat

They made the right choice. Some logos are best left in the past:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...2239--mlb.html
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
MMXXIII

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/the-hater...g-indian-logo/
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Tough to discuss this without getting it roadhoused.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I am fast becoming a huge fan of "The Hater". The AJC's sports columns are usually painfully lackluster.

STILL undefeated at the Cell since '04.

bacon bacon bacon BACON!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Have the new SOX BP/Spring Training caps gone onsale yet? I didn't see it on the official site. They look nice matched up with the black jerseys based on the photos released today from inside the clubhouse. I'm hoping this will be my new favorite cap. I really liked the similar styled BP cap from a few years ago, except the mesh fabric was not as nice as the new ones.

I also like the revised Braves cap. I'm still warming up to all the alternate logos and white crowns. I'm glad the SOX kept their caps simple, although I wonder how the Diamond SOX or the Flying SOX would have looked.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 02-12-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
WSI Regular

It's a good thing they didn't go with this screaming savage either. Braves fans under the age of 20 just wouldn't get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fredsavage.jpg (86.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hate Me View Post
It's a good thing they didn't go with this screaming savage either. Braves fans under the age of 20 just wouldn't get it.
Now if you could have just photoshopped his head on a cap, it would have been a classic!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

I disagree with the over-sensitive people who bitch and moan about this ****ing nonsense.

It is an honor for Native Americans to be used as sports teams' nicknames/logos.

Teams use Native American names and imagery because in the past they were strong, fierce, and brave warriors.

I have especially disagreed with Paul Lukas of ESPN/ Uni Watch over this issue.

Edit: I can understand the outrage over the Cleveland Indians' Chief Wahoo logo and The Washington Redskins' name but, for folks to be upset over the names and imagery of ALL of these teams is just ridiculous.

If they ever mess with the Blackhawks name or logo I'll be the one who's outraged.

Last edited by Thome25; 02-12-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoxfan View Post
Now if you could have just photoshopped his head on a cap, it would have been a classic!
I'll leave that to someone else with more time and energy.

Speaking of offensive mascots, did anyone read Mike Florio's recent column calling for RGIII to use his influence to put an end to the name "Redskins"?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
I disagree with the over-sensitive people who bitch and moan about this ****ing nonsense.

It is an honor for Native Americans to be used as sports teams' nicknames/logos.
Just to point out, a lot of people who are "over-sensitive" and "bitch and moan" are actual Native Americans who do not feel any sense of honor to be used as a sports mascot.

Big Daddy Drew over at Deadspin, who probably nobody would ever describe as overly sensitive, weighs in: http://deadspin.com/5983475/washingt...t-way-possible
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Just to point out, a lot of people who are "over-sensitive" and "bitch and moan" are actual Native Americans who do not feel any sense of honor to be used as a sports mascot.

Big Daddy Drew over at Deadspin, who probably nobody would ever describe as overly sensitive, weighs in: http://deadspin.com/5983475/washingt...t-way-possible
Point taken but, there are also alot of Native Americans who see the honor and dignity of some of the sports teams names.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackBlkJack View Post
I am fast becoming a huge fan of "The Hater". The AJC's sports columns are usually painfully lackluster.
Fact. Bring back "the Nose"! (If he's still alive, I think he last wrote for the Constitution in the mid 80s)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

As an Illinois alum, I'm probably a bit biased, but IMO there is a difference between naming a team after an Indian tribe, or naming a team the "Braves", and naming a team the "Redskins" or using the goofy Cleveland Indians logo.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
Point taken but, there are also alot of Native Americans who see the honor and dignity of some of the sports teams names.
That is true. Like just about everything else in life, the answer is somewhere in the grey middle, not in the extreme white or black sides.

I know you have said you don't like Paul Lukas's views on the subject, and I respect that, but I think this is a pretty sane, rational piece:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...erican-imagery

Last edited by doublem23; 02-12-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Regular

I imagine the Redskins would get a lot of flak from their older fans if they were to change the name....but if they do it right think of all the money they can rake in from selling their new apparel.

As someone on Deadspin commented they could just offer to tweak the meaning of "redskins" and put an Idaho potato on their helmets.
Closed Thread