White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
Babe Ruth in his prime was probably 100 pounds less than Prince Fielder now. Of course, he didn't have nearly the muscle Prince does, but he was three inches taller. Cecil Fielder was four inches taller than Prince, was in far better shape and he still put up his last decent season at age 32 before leaving the game at 34. Fernando Valenzuela, Bartolo Colon, Alex Fernandez and Bobby Jenks all spent a good amount of time on the DL with strained fat. In basketball, Shaq took 2-3 years of dominance away from his career by spending his prime 50 pounds overweight.

Look, I am not saying that Cabrera and Fielder are going to hit .200 after a Fear-and-Loathing-in-a-Las-Vegas-Seafood-Buffet binge fest, but the fact exists that they are overweight, they are putting extra strain on their bodies, and it could catch up to them via injury or a slow decline. Add in the fact that Cabrera has noted alcohol problems, and he could have a relapse which cost him time or causes him to slump.
Cabrera isn't even overweight...so I don't know why you keep adding him to the equation. As for his alcohol problems in a few offseasons, if it does catch up with him, it'll be the first time. Look...I despise the guy. He's a drunk and a wife beater. I think he belongs in jail. But there's no reason to believe he isn't the strong favorite for next year's MVP.

And I'm going to assume you don't know much about Prince Fielder, but he's actually a really limber fellow who eats a much healthier diet than probably every other major leaguer in baseball. Some people are just larger than others.