White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
I think the Indians are a sleeper AL Central team. I would not be surprised if they beat the White Sox for 2nd place..
Right now I think Detroit is destined for October and Minnesota for the cellar, but the other three could finish in any order and I would not be surprised.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Right now I think Detroit is destined for October and Minnesota for the cellar, but the other three could finish in any order and I would not be surprised.
A lot would have to go really wrong for us and KC. Cleveland certainly improved, but they're relying on Trevor Bauer to already be the ace of that rotation. And Brett Myers is probably the next best guy. They could just as easily fight for the Twins in the cellar (and I say this also because Minnesota's got some good young players they're working in this year, like they always do).
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I wonder if the Sox are even dealing with boras.
If he's doing 4/$48 for elite leadoff guys, they should start.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He could steal 30 bases a year for the duration of that contract and as long as he still hits over .300 he's worth it. $12 million is not a lot for a leadoff guy. There's so few good ones right now.
Why are people talking about a guy hitting over .300 who has hit OVER .300 (.303) exactly ONCE in his seven-year career and carries a .272 career average. The same guy has turned 30 so the odds of him getting 20 MORE steals this year over last is probably slim. . if you compare apples to apples, his numbers aren't a heck of a lot better than DeAza's were last year (I will admit he's a better CF, though is he $11 million a year better????)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoxfan View Post
Why are people talking about a guy hitting over .300 who has hit OVER .300 (.303) exactly ONCE in his seven-year career and carries a .272 career average. The same guy has turned 30 so the odds of him getting 20 MORE steals this year over last is probably slim. . if you compare apples to apples, his numbers aren't a heck of a lot better than DeAza's were last year (I will admit he's a better CF, though is he $11 million a year better????)
Not to be Capt. Obvious, but De Aza hasn't been on the open market yet. I don't think he'd get 12 a year, but he'd get a substantial raise.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Regular

To be honest, I think he needs to put a couple of full time solid seasons together to get a substantial raise. I just think people may be overvaluing the addition of Bourn. . . I think that was apparent by the LACK of interest in signing him to a $75 million deal like he and Boras were seeking. There are a lot of teams that seemingly could have used a player like him who seemed to be less than enthusiastic about opening the checkbook - i.e. Texas, Phillies, etc. The draft pick may have been a stumbling block, but Texas needed to make a move and didn't seem all that interested in him.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83 View Post
Not to be Capt. Obvious, but De Aza hasn't been on the open market yet. I don't think he'd get 12 a year, but he'd get a substantial raise.
Good point Johnny. I don't understand why people are comparing him to people we have that are also decent. We're not replacing them, we simply need more talent on the roster. Bourn has some elite skills, something we are sorely missing (and not only for this year). An outfield of Bourn in center surrounded by Rios and De Aza could have been the best in the AL defensively, and one of the better offensive ones in baseball.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Good point Johnny. I don't understand why people are comparing him to people we have that are also decent. We're not replacing them, we simply need more talent on the roster. Bourn has some elite skills, something we are sorely missing (and not only for this year). An outfield of Bourn in center surrounded by Rios and De Aza could have been the best in the AL defensively, and one of the better offensive ones in baseball.
My point wasn't to strictly make a comparison to our guy. I'm just pointing out that this guy is a decent player, but he's not guaranteed to make Cleveland a World Series champion. . . sure he could have helped us, but I don't think we have room for another $12 million player (unless we would move Floyd, Dunn, etc.) Plus, if we had signed him, we lose a first round pick (it could be debated whether that would really hurt us or not based on our draft history -but we did pick Sale in the first round)

I guess what fired me up was the comments assuming he's going to hit over .300 for Cleveland leading off when he has only done that once and just barely. He also strikes out a lot- his obp is similar to our inexpensive CF/leadoff man.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Compare these guys below, both in their age 29 season:

Player A .290/.351/.349 0 HR, 59 SB, 80 R, 25 RBI
Player B .274/.348/.391 9 HR, 42 SB, 96 R, 57 RBI

Player B is obviously Bourn last year, a year in which he had more HR than in the previous 5 years combined. And no doubt that if all things equal Bourn is the better player here.

Player A is Scott Podsednick in 2005. Would anyone give anything close to $12M per to Pods?

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I think the Indians are a sleeper AL Central team. I would not be surprised if they beat the White Sox for 2nd place..
The only thing that would surprise me is if the Tigers don't win the division. I think the Sox could win as many games as last year and finish 3rd in the standings possibly.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Who cares if he's leading off and hitting over .300?
He hit .300? I must have missed that year.

Don't get me wrong, I would love Bourn on the Sox. Just pointing out what I feel the inevitable arguments would be here.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Why are people talking about a guy hitting over .300 who has hit OVER .300 (.303) exactly ONCE in his seven-year career and carries a .272 career average.
Actually, he never hit over .300. That .303 was only part of 2011. He ended at .294.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Nah. They replaced Choo with Swisher and Sizemore with Bourn. This just puts them in a better position to compete with the Sox.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Actually, he never hit over .300. That .303 was only part of 2011. He ended at .294.
You're right -sorry I missed that-thanks for catching that.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You're right -sorry I missed that-thanks for catching that.
Easy to do that when just scanning the brick of career stats - I often miss those split seasons.