White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Well, he didn't get an offer from the Sox and JR told him to take the Marlins' deal.
From what I read JR was thinking of 3 years at 10 million a year but when the Marlins offered that big contract JR told him to jump at it.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Well, he didn't get an offer from the Sox and JR told him to take the Marlins' deal.
Whats Reinsdorf going to do when hes not even going to come close to what miami was willing to pay? Degrade him by reminding him of something he should already know, of how much that 10/5 might mean down the line? So he says, take the deal and good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Maybe the kids like dog more than dad.
A fair point. Also, telling a 5 year old he has to give up his dog because daddy has to live where they can't have that type of dog is kind of tough.

I'm sure the kids want to see Daddy as much as any kid does, but maybe they are willing to sacrifice some dad time to keep the pets they love.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsoxfan420 View Post
Oh that's right, they don't have school's in Ontario.
You're telling me.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
A fair point. Also, telling a 5 year old he has to give up his dog because daddy has to live where they can't have that type of dog is kind of tough.

I'm sure the kids want to see Daddy as much as any kid does, but maybe they are willing to sacrifice some dad time to keep the pets they love.
I took Dspivacks comment as a sarcastic one. I dont take yours as one and its amazing you are serious about this. The kids give up next to nothing, the dog can be cared for at the St. Louis home and with that kind of family money, the kids can visit the dog while dad is on the road. Makes a heck of a lot more sense than a father not seeing his children and vice versa for a baseball season.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm still upset that Buerhle is not still with us. Hindsight is always 20-20 but you have to wonder if Mark wishes that something could have been worked out with JR and he was still in a Sox uniform. He can't be real happy with his second move in 2 years. I guess he made his own bed and now has to sleep in it.
There's several millions and an extra year of reasons I doubt he does
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I took Dspivacks comment as a sarcastic one. I dont take yours as one and its amazing you are serious about this. The kids give up next to nothing, the dog can be cared for at the St. Louis home and with that kind of family money, the kids can visit the dog while dad is on the road. Makes a heck of a lot more sense than a father not seeing his children and vice versa for a baseball season.
Half-serious, half-joking, wasn't meant to be completely sarcastic. Considering that the baseball off-season is during the school year, Buehrle should be able to be in St. Louis with family and dogs during the winter. Paulie and many other players (whether from the area or not, as Konerko is) live in places like Phoenix during the offseason, anyway, no? I just think that being an athlete is a unique job, traveling during half the year and then being off for a few months in the offseason.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Half-serious, half-joking, wasn't meant to be completely sarcastic. Considering that the baseball off-season is during the school year, Buehrle should be able to be in St. Louis with family and dogs during the winter. Paulie and many other players (whether from the area or not, as Konerko is) live in places like Phoenix during the offseason, anyway, no? I just think that being an athlete is a unique job, traveling during half the year and then being off for a few months in the offseason.
I am not sure about Konerko or the ages of his kids. I know if I had the money these guys have, my family would live in the city where I play and in the permanent residence in the off season. Of course ages of kids would change this but at the ages of 3 and 5, I would want them in the city where I play.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I am not sure about Konerko or the ages of his kids. I know if I had the money these guys have, my family would live in the city where I play and in the permanent residence in the off season. Of course ages of kids would change this but at the ages of 3 and 5, I would want them in the city where I play.
If you live elsewhere in the offseason, and the kids are school-age, then that leaves just a couple months in the summer, as opposed to the 6-month long baseball season.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
If you live elsewhere in the offseason, and the kids are school-age, then that leaves just a couple months in the summer, as opposed to the 6-month long baseball season.

Yes thats why I said the ages of kids matter.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yes thats why I said the ages of kids matter.
Read right past that, sorry.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

It was reported that he said that he was being overpaid and if it's about money, take it.
Hard to believe even now that Mark took money over comfort. Based on his lifestyle, he had more money than he would ever need 8-9 years earlier. But I don't blame him if the most money was the goal.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
It was reported that he said that he was being overpaid and if it's about money, take it.
Hard to believe even now that Mark took money over comfort. Based on his lifestyle, he had more money than he would ever need 8-9 years earlier. But I don't blame him if the most money was the goal.
Based on previous statements by Buerhle he always said the money was not that important, well I guess it was.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Based on previous statements by Buerhle he always said the money was not that important, well I guess it was.
As well it should be. He would have been an idiot to take the Sox supposed offer over the Marlins. We aren't talking a few bucks here.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
WSI Personality

Hey, the guy is now playing for a team that is a serious contender for the AL East. Not exactly the worst possible outcome for a career.

He'll be OK. I'll be glad to give him my applause the next time I see him on the hill in our park.