White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Typical
It's a Munch world, and we're just living in it.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I'll let his actual work speak for itself. Thus, I make no certain statements or unfounded predictions as to Viciedo's 2013 season until he actually plays it.
Come on. This post is just way beyond outrageous. You know how we hate surprises and want all the answers for the upcoming season by Valentine's Day.

All hail The Rick
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI High Priest

They'll have to be better. I'm sure the pitching will be good, but right now this is the offense of a third place team.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Making contact is not his problem, at all. He is a .263 major league hitter, and hit .283 through the minors. He struck out a little too much last year, but he was nowhere near the league leaders. He makes a ton of contact, he just doesn't walk enough. His problem is patience, and a timing mechanism could help him with that.
Batting average is a poor evaluation tool when it comes to making contact. That doesn't tell you at all how good he was at making contact. The dude struck out in more than 20% of his at bats. He's Adam Dunn, except he doesn't walk at all (4:1 k:bb ratio, whereas Adam walks a ton) and he doesn't have as much power either.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Why discuss things on a message board then?
Discussion entails making thoughtful observations, not spewing out predictions of certain doom.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Batting average is a poor evaluation tool when it comes to making contact. That doesn't tell you at all how good he was at making contact. The dude struck out in more than 20% of his at bats. He's Adam Dunn, except he doesn't walk at all (4:1 k:bb ratio, whereas Adam walks a ton) and he doesn't have as much power either.
If Viciedo can improve his contact frequency, it's likely that he will provide more power. His ability to drive the ball is not something that most of us worry about.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Discussion entails making thoughtful observations, not spewing out predictions of certain doom.
Discussion involves opinions and ideas. What you said brought nothing to the discussion, and seemed to knock those willing to have one.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
If Viciedo can improve his contact frequency, it's likely that he will provide more power. His ability to drive the ball is not something that most of us worry about.
He's a guess hitter who swings at full speed to produce that power though. I'm not sure what good this is going to do. He needs a complete rework if he's going to do both of those things. He's still young enough to survive it.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Nobody gets off the Island by walking.
There are some really funny posts in this thread but yours really made me laugh Thank you!

I read the Jeff Manto article that DumpJerry posted to open up this thread and I love Manto's optimism. I know I am a bit biased (or blind) when it comes to Viciedo. But it is February, so I am going to dream. I am hoping for a big year from Viciedo this year (30 homers, 90 rbi).

GO SOX & GO VICIEDO!!

PS - Also hoping for good things from Flowers (I miss AJ) and Beckham in 2013. If it helps the Sox win more games, then it's all good.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Good to hear that the coach has some ideas to help them.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

The first time I saw Dayan Viciedo play when he was in the minors with Birmingham, he looked so rough and unpolished. Now that he has one complete season in MLB the term "diamond in the rough" comes to mind. I don't think Viciedo can be another Frank Thomas, but I believe in my heart of hearts that he can be a passable rendition of Carlos Lee. I'm just not completely confident that he will be. So far I like Manto, and hope that his work with Viciedo will pay off.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Assuming the Sox don't make any more moves, the three hitters listed at the start of this thread damn well better be better hitters this season.
Agreed. No question about it. The Sox cannot count on 37-year-old Paul Konerko to be the centerpiece of their lineup forever. At some point, some of these younger players need to make strides. Preferably, that time is now since the team has enough pitching to compete for a playoff spot.

As for the Viciedo discussion, the idea of sending him back to the minors to rebuild his swing is complete nonsense to me. He needs minor tweaks, not a major overhaul. And you don't learn to hit big-league pitching at AAA. There were some positives last year. Let's see if he can build on it.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I like the optimism, but if Manto is really serious about fixing Viciedo he needs to spend more than a year down in the minors starting from scratch. His entire approach is one huge flaw. 4 to 1 k to bb ratio
He had as good or better season at the plate than Rios had 2 of the last 4 years. Walked more than Rios the last did the last two years as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
So...failure then? I mean, he swings like Vlad Guerrero, only without the contact ability even in the zone, let alone outside it. Is kicking his leg gonna make him Vlad, or are we serious about making him a ballplayer?
If every hitter is expected to be Vlad, 99% of hitters don't belong in the majors.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Munch thinks he needs a complete overhaul of his swing, that's a good sign. Viciedo will probably hit .290/35/110 going off of Munch's predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).