White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI Personality

According to yesterday's Sun-Times, Sale has gained 10-15 pounds as a result of off-season strength training. That should help.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
None of this is true. And giving a first time starter rest for a start here and there is very commonplace. As usual, you are overstating things to a comical degree.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. It's like you live in a vacuum. You've only listened to Hawk talk about the White Sox, you turn away every time sale throws a pitch, and you've somehow imagined him weighing about 40 pounds of muscle more than he has.

Listen, you wanna live like no opinion outside the teams opinion exists, even when it's the only opinion that agrees with you, fine. But don't call me names just because you can't look at the other (majority) perspective on the matter.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_patters View Post
According to yesterday's Sun-Times, Sale has gained 10-15 pounds as a result of off-season strength training. That should help.
30 more and a new throwing motion would help a lot more.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. It's like you live in a vacuum. You've only listened to Hawk talk about the White Sox, you turn away every time sale throws a pitch, and you've somehow imagined him weighing about 40 pounds of muscle more than he has.

Listen, you wanna live like no opinion outside the teams opinion exists, even when it's the only opinion that agrees with you, fine. But don't call me names just because you can't look at the other (majority) perspective on the matter.
No, dude. I read and listen to myriad sources. The experts have some concerns. Some. And, so far unfounded. Early on, the same people had concerns about Verlander's delivery. As always, you overstate so hard that your "point" is completely lost.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
WSI Regular

We should release Sale because the "experts" say he throws different

See Tim Lincecum/Trevor Bauer

Sale's motion is actually more normal on the human body than someone who throws 3/4 or over the top
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
No, dude. I read and listen to myriad sources. The experts have some concerns. Some. And, so far unfounded. Early on, the same people had concerns about Verlander's delivery. As always, you overstate so hard that your "point" is completely lost.
You know, other than an 8 mph drop in his fastball three times in the same season necessitating being taken out of the rotation twice (the third time was at the end of the season). Oh, and you know, our pitching coach doesn't think he can hold up as a starter and fought with Sale and Robin on that topic.

Show me the expert that talks about Chris Sale without warning. Where is this mysterious person, this scout extraordinaire? I wanna read that article, where the scout says Sale's mechanic's are sound. Where his body type isn't an issue long term. Where is this scout? Where is the team employing this scout? I wanna work for that team, they obviously don't care whether or not you actually "scout".

Saying I overstate a point without proving a point of your own is getting kind of tiring. You have an opinion. But until you bring something to the table, I'm under the impression it's based on nothing but kool-aid.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
You know, other than an 8 mph drop in his fastball three times in the same season necessitating being taken out of the rotation twice (the third time was at the end of the season). Oh, and you know, our pitching coach doesn't think he can hold up as a starter and fought with Sale and Robin on that topic.

Show me the expert that talks about Chris Sale without warning. Where is this mysterious person, this scout extraordinaire? I wanna read that article, where the scout says Sale's mechanic's are sound. Where his body type isn't an issue long term. Where is this scout? Where is the team employing this scout? I wanna work for that team, they obviously don't care whether or not you actually "scout".

Saying I overstate a point without proving a point of your own is getting kind of tiring. You have an opinion. But until you bring something to the table, I'm under the impression it's based on nothing but kool-aid.
Right! And since basically nobody maintains 97MPH thru entire career, I have been harping on Chris to develop more offspeedo junk, and particularly the knuckle-curve. If going to pitch in MLB need to be effective even when the heater is not so hot. How about a trickier changup and throw it like
40%? That will give you mini-siesta right in the middle of a game, preserve the arm. Need to remain in top form through a long world series campaign.
Glad to hear he is bench pressing etc and putting on some meat.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Right! And since basically nobody maintains 97MPH thru entire career, I have been harping on Chris to develop more offspeedo junk, and particularly the knuckle-curve. If going to pitch in MLB need to be effective even when the heater is not so hot. How about a trickier changup and throw it like
40%? That will give you mini-siesta right in the middle of a game, preserve the arm. Need to remain in top form through a long world series campaign.
I don't know much about the mechanics of a knuckle-curve...anyone got anything on this?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Not sure how throwing off speed preserves the arm......since you throw them with the same arm action/effort as a fastball......There were several starts when his FB was hitting at 91-93 and he was plenty effective.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I eagerly await the day Sale ends up on the DL just so you get the pleasure of spiking the football on your prediction.

Sweet Jesus this is some dour **** you are on.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
WSI Prelate

I like the staff a lot. Should be better than last year.
The rest of the team, however....
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxNation View Post
Not sure how throwing off speed preserves the arm......since you throw them with the same arm action/effort as a fastball......There were several starts when his FB was hitting at 91-93 and he was plenty effective.
Wilbur Wood used to throw like 360 innings / year no problemo. That is an extreme case but illustrates the point. Throw a knuckle curve from that Sale arm slot would be near unhittable ask Burt Hooten.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
I eagerly await the day Sale ends up on the DL just so you get the pleasure of spiking the football on your prediction.

Sweet Jesus this is some dour **** you are on.
Oh bull ****. It's not anything that isn't 100% the main opinion of experts out there. Like I said, where is the scout saying otherwise? Where is the article without the dire predictions? It's not a given, but most everyone who's opinion matters thinks its a given. If you're going to lambast me as negative, you need to bring some proof of the positive to the table. Just calling me negative for relaying a fact to you is childish.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Of course, but the point I'm trying to make is that we've go four guys who are likely to spend time on the DL and have spent lots of time on the DL the last few years (the exception being Sale, but honestly I feel he's the most likely to be injured).
I think you are overreacting. Sale may have the chance to go down w an injury, but I think w Danks coming back from one and Peavy's history, Sale is not the most likely.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

To be fair to Munch, a TON of experts project Sale's delivery to cause arm problems. This is not just ESPN. Heck, our own scouts were torn on his best role and our president and manager thought he should be a closer. It is not a non issue. That said, it also is not a major issue until injuries do pop up. It is just something to monitor, not ignore.

That said, A knuckle curve would not be a good pitch for Sale's arm angle. I threw one in college and still break it off in my men's league know and then, and it is tough to throw from the side because you really have to get on top of it and spike it. Sale's breaking ball is perfect for his arm angle, that slider is one of the 10 best pitches in baseball. His changeup has a TON of potential and might ultimately be his best pitch.

For Sale, he is doing what he has to do. He got to where he is by being a thrower, just over powering guys. If he wants to be an SP, he has to learn to pitch. Know how to get outs by dialing down his velocity, placing the changeup and making the slider disappear. Sometimes, you just have to hope a guy holds up. I am sure plenty of scouts today would spazz out and try and make Randy Johnson a closer as well.