White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Here's the funny thing: I think Ed Farme is just terrible no matter the situation. He was terrible as the color man for John Rooney, and he's terrible as the PBP man in the booth. DJ on the other hand is gret IMO when he does National broadcasts on Fox. I think with Hawk, he was just overwhelmed by Hawk's huge ego and just wasn't comfortable with him. With Farmer, it is what is is. I just think he needs to be with someone he can be comfotable with, because on the National broadcasts, he does have terrific baseball knowledge.
I'm not sure he's done a Fox game in awhile, but DJ was great on those. He was also great when he teamed with Rooney for a weekend series in Oakland in 2003 on television (I know that's going back 10 years), but after the final game, he thanked Rooney on the air for teaching him so much, which I always thought was a bold statement re: Hawk.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

The problem with the Sox broadcasting is that they have 4 color guys and no play by play guy.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Prelate

A lot of what I think about Hawk and Stone has been said already, but I will say that prior to the Sox collapse in September I thought the chemistry between the two was fantastic. But once the Sox started to tank and Hawk would go innings without talking, it became unbearable. When the White Sox are losing it is impossible to listen to Hawk.

Go Sox!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

When Hawk and Stone are eventually replaced, I'm sure a lot of people with have just as many complaints about their replacements.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The problem with the Sox broadcasting is that they have 4 color guys and no play by play guy.
Boom.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
A lot of what I think about Hawk and Stone has been said already, but I will say that prior to the Sox collapse in September I thought the chemistry between the two was fantastic. But once the Sox started to tank and Hawk would go innings without talking, it became unbearable. When the White Sox are losing it is impossible to listen to Hawk.
I thought the same way. Hawk quit calling Steve stone pony and the back and forth seemed much less strained than in the past. Then the disaster that was September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
When Hawk and Stone are eventually replaced, I'm sure a lot of people with have just as many complaints about their replacements.
You're probably right. There seems to be even less consensus on announcers than almost any other subject argued about here. Even fielding metrics.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Boom.
John Madden would be worse!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe these two guys should get paid for doing what they do. Then they might be able to treat it as a job and do it to the best of their ability and further the interests of an employer. A little professionalism might even creep in.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I thought the same way. Hawk quit calling Steve stone pony and the back and forth seemed much less strained than in the past. Then the disaster that was September.

You're probably right. There seems to be even less consensus on announcers than almost any other subject argued about here. Even fielding metrics.
It's not just White Sox fans. Most fan bases seem to think their announcers are lacking.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Guru

So here's what we wrote back on Sept 30th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
In terms of marketing the team, Steve Stone is the worst thing to happen to the Sox in the past four years.

I'm surprised so many people are oblivious to this fact.

I'd take Hawk and DJ back in a heartbeat over Stone being in the booth. I don't think at this point that is the solution to the problem, but it's a statement to the fact that the Sox fanbase wants to listen homer announcers, either on the radio or tv side. Even John Rooney was a homer announcer. Steve Stone has gone out of his way to be as anti-homer and unenthusiastic about the Sox product as anyone possibly could, whether goofing on how bad the bobbleheads looked this year, to making fun of fans eating food in the stands when the tv cameras are on them, to refusing to show any enthusiasm after a big Sox hit or homer. Steve Stone hasn't sold a ticket to a Sox game since he joined the radio side in 2008.
And I see this posted on the Chicago media board-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk Wants You
Of even more interest to me from that same ESPN show was the mention after the interview by Bruce Levine and Fred Huebner that they heard that both Hawk and Stoney would focus more on selling the U.S. Cellular Field experience than they have in the past. That would be my one and only criticism of the broadcasts - the lack of the on-air selling of all of the fun things going on around the Cell. That is what made Harry Caray so popular on both sides of town was his constant mentioning of "fun at the 'ol ballpark". The pace of a baseball game certainly allows for this. I think if Hawk and Stone can talk up the party deck in center field, the fundamentals kids deck in left, the outfield shower, etc, it could go a long way towards whetting the appetite of Sox fans to show up at more games than they have in the past. We shall see how it goes!!
Waiting for Bob Grim's consultation check in the mail.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Hawk has gone through so many color guys that perhaps, the problem isn't the color guys.
And I agree above - the Sox have no professional PBP guy.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Hawk has gone through so many color guys that perhaps, the problem isn't the color guys.
And I agree above - the Sox have no professional PBP guy.
Very few actually. Wimpy quit. DJ was replaced by Stone, because Stone was more highly thought of, and TV is where the money is.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM
WSI Personality

Unless another team scoops him up, I think Rowand will be in the booth before the end of the decade. I thought he was great as a fill-in and Sox brass seemed very impressed with his performance as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Hawk is Hawk, and IMO, he should stay as long as he can still do the job.

If there's anything that we can take from that meeting, maybe we can hear less of the moaning, whinging and quiet minutes over results this year from Hawk. That's the only real difference between current Hawk and Hawk of 5-10 years ago.

Stone never will be related to by the majority of Sox fans, especially after years of covering the Cubs, not to mention his smarmy, above the common fan, know-it-all style. Hopefully they can find a Sox broadcaster by 2014. Rowand would be a great idea.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI High Priest

I think the Sox should cut bait with both of them. Stone is solid, he knows what he is doing, but he thinks he is awesome and above the Sox and their fans. Hawk is just a shell of himself and is embarrassing himself. Hawk now kind of reminds me of Jordan on Wizards. Just a vision of a man who doesn't know when to walk away.